PDA

View Full Version : Rawlings 1990 to 1997

yanks12025
07-22-2006, 01:39 PM
During those years would they ever just write there number on the knob and barrel and no model numbers.

JimCaravello
07-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Yanks12025 - if your question is whether 90-97 Rawlings bats would be void of model numbers stamped into the knob, then the answer would be - that I have never seen one from this period without model numbers, as well as batch and year numbers. In essence, a blan knob bat...........If I haven't answered your question correctly, please let me know. Jim

wllump52
07-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Along these same lines, I have a few Rawlings bats that have the players name and model number stamped, but no batch numbers stamped on them. Also, I have a 1988 World Series bat with only the model number stamped on the knob that John Taube said was a legit bat. Same with a 1991 all Star bat. Any further light you can shed on this would be appreciated:)

JimCaravello
07-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Folks - even though I mentioned in this post that I have never seen a bat that was void of one of the three stamps from this period ( model number, batch number, and year ) - I believe that Adirondack missed some stamps along the way in the 90's. I believe I had at one time a Larry Walker bat from 1990 that was missing a stamp or two - but the provenance was great and so was the bat. I have handled so many bats over the years and the early 90's seem like eons ago - but the more and more I thought about this thread - it jarred my memory about that particular bat.

I believe it is not uncommon for one of the three items mentioned above to be missing. As with any bat - you would want to investigate the use - provenance - etc. to determine if it is acceptable for your collection.

Jim - jcaravello@nc.rr.com

metsbats
07-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Jim

I have 2 86 WS game bats which have different stamping patterns. One is stamped from top to bottom LD4 LD 1986 and the other is stamped top to bottom 1986 113A DS.

I also own 2 2000 NLCS game bats which have different stamps. The one in the photo is a Piazza Rawlings which is stamped with the model number
609B NLCS. The other is a Rick Reed which is stamped 460B 2000 NLCS.

The other photo is a Ron Darling Rawlings 1988 NCLS bat which is stamped NLCS 88 on the barrel with model number 225B RD (Darling's initials). Players initials in addition to model number appeared also in 86 Post Season NLCS orange ring Met bats too.

With the inconsistancies I see in the 86 and 2000 bats, I would be surprised to see missing lot/order or year codes on knobs.

-David

metsbats
07-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Jim

I have 2 86 WS game bats which have different stamping patterns. One is stamped from top to bottom LD4 LD 1986 and the other is stamped top to bottom 1986 113A DS.

I also own 2 2000 NLCS game bats which have different stamps. The one in the photo is a Piazza Rawlings which is stamped with the model number
609B NLCS. The other is a Rick Reed which is stamped 460B 2000 NLCS.

The other photo is a Ron Darling Rawlings 1988 NCLS bat which is stamped NLCS 88 on the barrel with model number 225B RD (Darling's initials). Players initials in addition to model number appeared also in 86 Post Season NLCS orange ring Met bats too.

With the inconsistancies I see in the 86 and 2000 bats, I would NOT be surprised to see missing lot/order or year codes on knobs.

-David

That is I would NOT be surprised.

sportscentury
07-26-2006, 01:32 AM
I believe it is not uncommon for one of the three items mentioned above to be missing.

Jim,

I have to think it is pretty uncommon. If you've only seen one and I've never seen one (I know I've seen hundreds and I'm sure you've seen more than I have), these stats alone would suggest it is unusual. I agree with you that they likely exist and we all know that there are many real gamers that do not have perfect (or typical) markings, but without the correct markings on the knob of a Rawlings bat during these years, I wouldn't necessarily rule game use out, but my first guess would be some kind of promotional bat.

Reid

JimCaravello
07-26-2006, 05:32 AM
Reid - when I say uncommon - I mean a handful of bats - not 100 bats, so I think we are on the same page........... jim

sportscentury
07-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Jim,

Gotcha... thanks.

Reid