PDA

View Full Version : BergerKing's National Show review...

BergerKing22784
08-05-2010, 01:54 PM
So after waking up at 3am (because I couldnt sleep) with much excitement for this National as it was going to be my first one I must say I left kind of dissapointed. The show opened at 10am and I am home by 1:30pm

If was def the biggest show I have been to but I almost feel like the Tuff Stuff Shows I went to back in late 1990s were close to it in size. I'd only say this show was 25-30% bigger than those. I was expecting a show so big that you would need a gps to navigate.

Game used:

The amount of game used in terms of what I was expecting was more than I was expecting as others made it sound like there is nothing in terms of game used there. There were a few vendors who had hundreds of game used jerseys (mostly of lesser known players) and a few vendors who had current stars game used bats... A lot of Hanley Rameriez and Miguel Cabeara game used bats in the $300-600 dollar range.

I was able to pick up a few cheap game used bats of guys who once played for the Braves (my collection focus)

Cards:

One thing I noticed about this show though there was a lot of vintage cards for sale more than I was expecting.

A lot of high priced items.

I did see a lot of dealers with "50-80%" off bins, cases but since I am mostly out of the card collecting game I really didnt stop to rumage through those bins...

Autograph guest/Prices:

I know its in Baltimore and they wanted to draw Maryland collectors to the show by having Former Orioles there but it was a waste of guest if you ask me. The ones they had are a bunch of the guys all Maryland Collectors often see at free signings in the area all the time so to have these guys come and charge what they did made no sense to me. Example Boog Powel was like $30 bucks (he is often at O's games signing for free at his bbq stand.

Looking at the rest of the autograph lineup it is mostly just the same HOFers you see at every show around the country and to me the prices were higher so it was nothing special. They really failed booking the show this weekend as they limited themselves on football hall of famers as the hof inductions are also this weekend in Canton, OH...

Bargins:
I was really hoping to find some bargins and cant walk away from prices on just about anything but I did not see many. I was one of the first people in and I did a very quick up and down of the booths and did not see any real eye popping deals of sellers trying to basically get out of the hobby or to move some inventory. I was hoping to see just above ebay priced deals but I did not see many.

So despite my negative review I am glad I went as I had never been before and I am glad they brought it to Baltimore so I could experience it first hand without having to spend a lot of money in travel.

sox83cubs84
08-05-2010, 06:58 PM
If was def the biggest show I have been to but I almost feel like the Tuff Stuff Shows I went to back in late 1990s were close to it in size. I'd only say this show was 25-30% bigger than those. I was expecting a show so big that you would need a gps to navigate it.[/quote]

Back in the 1980s salad days of the National, shows were sometimes so large that dealers would bring walkie-talkies so that their assistants could contact them about a purchase or a sale if they were away from the booth.

Dave Miedema

trsent
08-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Back in the 1980s salad days of the National, shows were sometimes so large that dealers would bring walkie-talkies so that their assistants could contact them about a purchase or a sale if they were away from the booth.

Dave Miedema

Dave, we still have devices like that at shows, they are just called cell phones now, or as the English call them "mobiles"

sox83cubs84
08-05-2010, 10:01 PM
HA-HA-HA!:p Actually, that wasn't the technophobe part of me talking...I was just reminiscing about the 1980s, when the National was truly an event, and not just another big show that is set apart only by a title.

Dave Miedema

trsent
08-06-2010, 01:33 AM
HA-HA-HA!:p Actually, that wasn't the technophobe part of me talking...I was just reminiscing about the 1980s, when the National was truly an event, and not just another big show that is set apart only by a title.

Dave Miedema

The 1980's National was awesome, but the 1990's National was an event. Remember all that money the card companies spent on booths and promos that often paid for our trip to the show?

Topps, Fleer, DonRuss, SoreBoard/Classic, Upper Deck, and all the others who made the show a real hobby trade show.

Larry Pelliccioni
08-06-2010, 06:38 AM

Dave Miedema

Those days were our days, now many are gone Dave.
John Stommen, Bill Gradzewicz, Frank Nagy, Charlie Conlon, Steve Ryeson, Dick Dobbins, Tom Tuschak and Larry Pilut to name a few.
The others (and I will throw myself in that category) collected things that were relevant to their youth which this generation could care less about, hockey wools, press guides, Glendale Meat Tigers, suspension and clear shell helmets.
It is what it is, see the joy in each day Dave, you were and are among the great people that sports collecting has allowed me to know and befriend.
Larry Pelliccioni

capitalssticks
08-06-2010, 06:49 AM
I went yesterday, what a disappointment as i do football and hockey of the washington teams. i did see alot of baseball bats there. i ended up buying a bunch of jerseys from JO sports, who gave me a great deal and great service on a bunch of redskins jerseys/pants

sox83cubs84
08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Those days were our days, now many are gone Dave.
John Stommen, Bill Gradzewicz, Frank Nagy, Charlie Conlon, Steve Ryeson, Dick Dobbins, Tom Tuschak and Larry Pilut to name a few.
The others (and I will throw myself in that category) collected things that were relevant to their youth which this generation could care less about, hockey wools, press guides, Glendale Meat Tigers, suspension and clear shell helmets.
It is what it is, see the joy in each day Dave, you were and are among the great people that sports collecting has allowed me to know and befriend.
Larry Pelliccioni

How true...thanks for the reminisces and kind words.

Dave Miedema