PDA

View Full Version : Authentication Services

seven4five20
08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Hello. I have a game used jersey and game used bat from Albert Pujols that I would like to get authenticated. What is the best service for each, and about how much will it cost? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

STLHAMMER32
08-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Hello. I have a game used jersey and game used bat from Albert Pujols that I would like to get authenticated. What is the best service for each, and about how much will it cost? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I offer the same advice to each person that asks....save your money. Use this website and some of the collectors on here to verify whether or not it possesses the correct characteristics for a gamer. You will save money that can go into other items you would like to add to your collectiond, it's something collectors enjoy (helping others as well as looking at other items of a favorite player) and in my opinion you get a better opinion from a personal collector that has soley collected and studied a player and their equipment.

34swtns
08-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I offer the same advice to each person that asks....save your money. Use this website and some of the collectors on here to verify whether or not it possesses the correct characteristics for a gamer. You will save money that can go into other items you would like to add to your collection, it's something collectors enjoy (helping others as well as looking at other items of a favorite player) and in my opinion you get a better opinion from a personal collector that has solely collected and studied a player and their equipment.

First, let me say I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. The collective body of knowledge compiled by the members of this forum FAR outweighs the potential knowledge of the staff of any authentication service, hands down.

Secondly, in the interest of possible resale of an item you may have, there is a large segment of the buying public who have to have "that piece of paper", making authentication by a recognized service a benefit in said resale. Unfortunately, it is a necessary evil to those of us who don't intend to hang on to everything we procure as some buyers substitute the "piece of paper" for due-diligence and research in determining the authenticity of an item for purchase.

In short, it sucks but sometimes it's best to have the paperwork, lest "Joe Deeppockets" takes his dough elsewhere.

That being said, all authentication services have had issues in the past.
Services I've had good luck with in the past include Grey Flannel and James Spence but as I stated before others have had issues with these organizations in the past so listen to everyone's opinion before you decide who to go with.

STLHAMMER32
08-05-2010, 01:53 PM
First, let me say I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. The collective body of knowledge compiled by the members of this forum FAR outweighs the potential knowledge of the staff of any authentication service, hands down.

Secondly, in the interest of possible resale of an item you may have, there is a large segment of the buying public who have to have "that piece of paper", making authentication by a recognized service a benefit in said resale. Unfortunately, it is a necessary evil to those of us who don't intend to hang on to everything we procure as some buyers substitute the "piece of paper" for due-diligence and research in determining the authenticity of an item for purchase.

In short, it sucks but sometimes it's best to have the paperwork, lest "Joe Deeppockets" takes his dough elsewhere.

That being said, all authentication services have had issues in the past.
Services I've had good luck with in the past include Grey Flannel and James Spence but as I stated before others have had issues with these organizations in the past so listen to everyone's opinion before you decide who to go with.

I agree with you as well on the sell factor, I should have stated that if it is for your own peace of mind then seek someone with knowledge of a particular player. If you are looking to get them "authenticated" to sell then go with the big names in the hobby like PSA or MEARS. They won't give you any guarantees but that piece of paper holds value for some potential buyers. I think you will find that most collectors could care less if it has been authenticated if they know what to look for but others do find it important.

seven4five20
08-05-2010, 08:30 PM
I know the items are legitimate. Im looking to get them authenticated purely for resale purposes. For jerseys, do you think MEARS would raise the value the most?

STLHAMMER32
08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
I know the items are legitimate. Im looking to get them authenticated purely for resale purposes. For jerseys, do you think MEARS would raise the value the most?

Would you mind showing the items, I'd love to take a look at them.

spartanservitto
08-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Would you mind showing the items, I'd love to take a look at them.

I would also like to see the bat, I could offer some help.

-Tony

rj_lucas
08-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Like a couple of others on the forum, I'm a dedicated Pujols collector. If an item features an MLB hologram or Pujols Family Foundation certification, it's a major plus. Any other form of 'authentication' is of zero interest to me. In fact, if an item features a hologram or sticker from one of these other authentication companies, I consider it a negative, since I view these items as historic artifacts (as opposed to 'collectables') and prefer they not be defaced.

If you're shopping your items to knowledgable Pujols collectors, they will not need outside authentication, and they will know the value of your items. If, however, you plan to sell through an auction house or eBay (i.e. to the general public), then authentication might be a good idea.

That said, in my experience you will do better to sell directly to knowledgable collectors. If you go the auction or eBay route, be sure to protect yourself with reserves, since it's a total roll of the dice. Best of luck.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Birdbats
08-06-2010, 09:04 AM
If you send the jersey to MEARS, it'll grade A5. Almost guaranteed for a modern knit that doesn't have extraordinary provenance. If you send it to other well-known authenticators, you'll likely get a letter saying it has perfect characteristics, whether it does or not. The truth is that Pujols keeps almost all of his jerseys, so I'd bet some authenticators haven't even handled a real one that would allow them to write a letter with any credibility.

If your jersey already has a letter from Pujols' foundation, the Cardinals, ARF or has a MLB hologram, don't bother sending it to anyone else; that's the best documentation it could have. Same with your bat. If you don't have that kind of documentation, I'm not sure any other third-party LOA would raise the value more than the cost of the authentication. I'd offer my reasoning, but I don't need the hassle (especially from a particular company that banned me from bidding in its auctions because I pointed out how several of its Cardinals jerseys, including a Pujols, were questionable).

You should post a few photos. I've been told there are some pretty knowledgeable Pujols collectors on this board. :)

Feel free to send me an e-mail. I can give you some more candid comments and offer some advice.

spartanservitto
08-06-2010, 09:09 AM
If you send the jersey to MEARS, it'll grade A5. Almost guaranteed for a modern knit that doesn't have extraordinary provenance. If you send it to other well-known authenticators, you'll likely get a letter saying it has perfect characteristics, whether it does or not. The truth is that Pujols keeps almost all of his jerseys, so I'd bet some authenticators haven't even handled a real one that would allow them to write a letter with any credibility.

If your jersey already has a letter from Pujols' foundation, the Cardinals, ARF or has a MLB hologram, don't bother sending it to anyone else; that's the best documentation it could have. Same with your bat. If you don't have that kind of documentation, I'm not sure any other third-party LOA would raise the value more than the cost of the authentication. I'd offer my reasoning, but I don't need the hassle (especially from a particular company that banned me from bidding in its auctions because I pointed out how several of its Cardinals jerseys, including a Pujols, were questionable).

You should post a few photos. I've been told there are some pretty knowledgeable Pujols collectors on this board. :)

Feel free to send me an e-mail. I can give you some more candid comments and offer some advice.

By Knowledgeable Pujols collectors, that would be Jeff. Haha. Jeff, expect some emails soon my man.

-Tony

kj33706
08-06-2010, 12:52 PM
gotta say jeff scott is the man to talk to if i was gonna get anything albert birdsbats would be the first and only person i would trust...............

hope this helps
kj

nycpropain
08-06-2010, 03:55 PM

How do you know? This could help your provenance.