PDA

View Full Version : Frank White Game Used Fielding Glove

CampWest
08-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Today's mail had an alleged game used fielder's mitt of 8 time Gold Glove winner (shoulda been 9, but oh well) Frank White. I have not been able to definitively tie it to Frank, but the size, make and model are all consistent with expectations. And the glove has wear of an external index finger which is another Frank trait. Now that I have the glove in hand I can tell its very rigid and just a couple days ago during a Royals broadcast, Greg Pryor said he hated Frank's gloves because they were not broken in. Frank laughed and said he could not use Greg's floppy mitts. Frank said he liked a stiff fingered glove and this fits that bill. Anyhow, I am hopeful that I can present it to Frank at some point in the next couple months and get him to certify it was one of his. If so, I got a heck of a sweet deal but so far its still just a gamble. If there are any glove experts that care to provide their insight, feel free to email me.

http://huntauctions.com/phone/img77/240.jpg

earlywynnfan
08-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Today's mail had an alleged game used fielder's mitt of 8 time Gold Glove winner (shoulda been 9, but oh well) Frank White. I have not been able to definitively tie it to Frank, but the size, make and model are all consistent with expectations. And the glove has wear of an external index finger which is another Frank trait. Now that I have the glove in hand I can tell its very rigid and just a couple days ago during a Royals broadcast, Greg Pryor said he hated Frank's gloves because they were not broken in. Frank laughed and said he could not use Greg's floppy mitts. Frank said he liked a stiff fingered glove and this fits that bill. Anyhow, I am hopeful that I can present it to Frank at some point in the next couple months and get him to certify it was one of his. If so, I got a heck of a sweet deal but so far its still just a gamble. If there are any glove experts that care to provide their insight, feel free to email me.

Ahhh, so you're the one who beat me out on this! I didn't have any time to research it, either, but was still surprised to see it go so cheap. I really hope it turns out to be his glove! Good luck, and keep us informed, please.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

CampWest
08-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Ahhh, so you're the one who beat me out on this! I didn't have any time to research it, either, but was still surprised to see it go so cheap. I really hope it turns out to be his glove! Good luck, and keep us informed, please.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Thanks Ken. Yeah, I had a higher bid placed than what it sold for and was happy I could gamble a little cheaper than I was willing to. I was at a charity event that night and couldn't react if I were outbid, so I was very happy when I saw that I won.

I tried to research it, but I could not find any good close up era pictures - So I took the gamble with the plan of personal confirmation after the fact. I know he used Rawlings, 10.75-11.25", he used some I-Back webbing and open wrist, so its all consistent. I feel pretty good about the glove, I could find no other White's in MLB who wore #20 and would have used an 11" 2nd baseman's mitt in that time frame, the handwriting looks pretty good to me too. The glove shows some pretty good use in the pocket, with some fraying on the webbing and one of the pocket seams.

I'm trying to decide if and where to get Frank White to sign on the glove. The glove is pretty small and the thumb has a large Rawlings stitched in, so might have to go with a fingers signature. Will probably ask for "Game Used Frank White #20 8-time Gold Glove". But I dont like altering gloves too much. So not sure if I will ask to have it signed or just go with a letter certification and pictures.

CampWest
08-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I guess this isnt an August Pickup anymore... :mad: :eek: :( :confused: :D :o :p ;) :) :rolleyes: :cool: jk, thanks for the dedicated thread, mods.