PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Yankees Jersey - Don Baylor ?

RJB44
07-27-2010, 10:12 PM
What is your take on this Yankees jersey

http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-worn-used-New-York-Yankees-jersey-Don-Baylor-1986-/290456575234?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a08f9d02

DonFan23
07-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Tagging and nameplate appear correct for '86, but for me there are too many questions as to when the number changes took place, especially the change back to 25.

The placement/alignment of the 25 is pretty shoddy, not to mention that the 5 is not correct for a Yankees jersey (see angled upper right corner). It may have been recycled to the minors after '90, which might explain the sloppy work on the numbers. Or it could have simply been a quick alteration by a collector who did not pay special attention to the details upon restoration.

All in all too many questions for me, as I'd prefer a jersey that I could definitively attribute to a particular player (or players). However, not a horrible price for a collector just looking to acquire a near-25 year old Yankees pinstripe for their collection.

sox83cubs84
07-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Adding to DonFan23's insights (which are good):

If Baylor never played in a regular season game for the Yankees, he never would have worn this jersey...the custom of the era was to wear the previous year's jerseys (1985) in a given year's spring training (1986). The new sets didn't get broken out until opening day.

Also, the Billy Martin "1" sleeve patch was worn in 1990, pointing towards Cadaret as the more likelyu user.

The residue of the number changes may hold the key to the history of the jersey's usage...which, unfortuantely, we don't have access to.

Dave Miedema

DonFan23
07-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the assit, Dave, as I hadn't finished my coffee yet this morning.

Great point on the spring jerseys being recycled. Typically if a new jersey was issued for the spring, it would simply have the year/set chain stitched in the neck without the name.

And on the '90 usage (which is certain), I'd lean towards John Habyan (#61) as the wearer, as the font issue with the #5 is a fairly convincing factor (for me at least) that the jersey wasn't worn as pictured at the major league level.

flaco1801
07-29-2010, 02:39 PM
i doubt tommy john ever wore that shirt.... when baylor was traded the number was prolly stripped and issued to 61.. someone replaced the 25 after it left yankees.. only my opinion