PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton LVS question for BMH

cjclong
07-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Josh Hamilton has been using a blonde Louisville Slugger almost exclusively. He was using a Louisville Slugger when he hit what is now regarded as the longest home run at the ballpark in Arlington. I had heard he was using a Louisville Slugger that is used by Nelson Cruz when he hit this home run. Do you know what model Louisville Slugger Cruz is using this year and does Hamilton now have a bat like Cruz's with his name on it. Also would this Louisville Slugger be different from those he used last year and in the home run derby in 08? And is the bat Cruz is using now different from those Hamilton has used in the past? Would appreciate any information you can give. Your help is always appreciated.

BMH
07-25-2010, 10:30 PM
He has been ordering a 34.5/33 to 34oz I13 lately.

STLHAMMER32
07-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Josh Hamilton has been using a blonde Louisville Slugger almost exclusively. He was using a Louisville Slugger when he hit what is now regarded as the longest home run at the ballpark in Arlington. I had heard he was using a Louisville Slugger that is used by Nelson Cruz when he hit this home run. Do you know what model Louisville Slugger Cruz is using this year and does Hamilton now have a bat like Cruz's with his name on it. Also would this Louisville Slugger be different from those he used last year and in the home run derby in 08? And is the bat Cruz is using now different from those Hamilton has used in the past? Would appreciate any information you can give. Your help is always appreciated.

BMH will be able to confirm this....but I believe Josh has preferred the C353C model both in Cincinnati and now in Texas....I've noticed that he primarily used blonde Ash louisville sluggers in Texas while using Black louisville sluggers in Cincy that were M9's most of the time.

In the HR Derby I'm pretty sure he was using a Blonde ash c353c. The current I13's I believe are maple bats, so yes there is a difference.

I think while Nelson was on his latest DL stint, Josh tried a few of his I13's and really liked the feel...he went on a hot streak and a long hitting streak using them.Nelson has been using that model LVS for at least 2 years now but changed to a flared knob this season.....Cruz like hamilton will switch brands off and on, currently Nelson has been using Trinity bats. hope this helps!

cjclong
07-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks BMH, you are always so heipful and thanks to Stlhammer as well. One additonal question. If I see a blonde Louisville Slugger with Josh Hamilton on the barrel how will I know if it is a 353 or a 113? I have a couple of his blonde bats from last year which I suspect are 353's and I would like to get a 113. BTW, Hamilton has had trouble throwing his bat into the stands and was quoted as saying he was now using a bat with a bigger knob to help his grip, which may be why he switched to the 113?

BMH
07-26-2010, 12:09 PM
The model number is above his name on the end of our bats. The C353 has a much larger knob than the I13.

chakes89
07-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Has he ever ordered the C331?

cjclong
07-26-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm afraid my last post fell under "ask a dumb question." I knew that the model numbers are on Louisville Slugger bats. But I had seen some Nelson Cruz Louisville Sluggers and could not remember seeing the number on them. I had to be in Fort Worth today and before I left I went by the Rangers store and they had a Cruz Louisville Slugger and sure enough it had 113 on the barrel. I don't know how I missed it previously. I know that Hamilton is using a blond LVS 99% of the time now. What does seem odd is that there seems to be reliable information he was using Cruz's bats, but BMH says that the C353 he was using has a bigger knob and Hamilton says he is using a bat with a bigger knob now to try to keep from throwing it. Maybe he used Cruz's bats for a little while and went back to the C353?

BMH
07-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Don't know...
The I13 has a 2in diameter knob and the I13L has a 2.08in knob.
The C353 has a 2.45in knob.

The I13 has more of a curved taper to it leading up to the knob. The C353 is more of a straight shot from the handle.

cjclong
07-27-2010, 08:20 AM
In the short article that was run in the Dallas paper sports section last week Hamilton talked about having used a bat that had more of a taper and was changing to one that had a bigger knob. That would sound like going from a 113 to a C353. One of the people who posts here said Hamilton was using Cruz 113 when he hit the tape measure home run. There is no question he is using a blond Louisville Slugger right now. I can see the label when he bats on TV well enough to tell. I guess the only question is which LVS he is using. And thank you the information BMH. You are so helpful as always.

STLHAMMER32
07-27-2010, 12:37 PM
In the short article that was run in the Dallas paper sports section last week Hamilton talked about having used a bat that had more of a taper and was changing to one that had a bigger knob. That would sound like going from a 113 to a C353. One of the people who posts here said Hamilton was using Cruz 113 when he hit the tape measure home run. There is no question he is using a blond Louisville Slugger right now. I can see the label when he bats on TV well enough to tell. I guess the only question is which LVS he is using. And thank you the information BMH. You are so helpful as always.

He threw the I13 in into the stands as well, he throws every bat into the stands regardless of the model.:D

He most recently has used the I13's, my guess is the knob may feel bigger to him since it's not as straight down as the c353's feel. Like I said before it doesn't matter his bat is flying into the stands regardless :p

ndevlin
07-27-2010, 01:48 PM
He's been using the C353 which has a huge handle. He also switches it up every so often and uses a different brand.

Cruz usually uses an LS but this year has moved to a black bat in a different brand...

ndevlin
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Let me rephrase the Cruz comment....

He switches back and fourth from the LS and the black bat, but now is using the LS.

STLHAMMER32
07-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Let me rephrase the Cruz comment....

He switches back and fourth from the LS and the black bat, but now is using the LS.

The black bat is a Trinity I believe and I noticed that as well, he goes back and forth with those two.

Hamilton was using the I13's primarily, although he has mixed in a few C353's in the last few games (or at least ash bats that I assume are that model). It looks like every once in awhile he will grab one. I'll try and get a good look at what he is using in tonights game!

ndevlin
07-27-2010, 05:30 PM
The black bat is a Trinity I believe and I noticed that as well, he goes back and forth with those two.

Hamilton was using the I13's primarily, although he has mixed in a few C353's in the last few games (or at least ash bats that I assume are that model). It looks like every once in awhile he will grab one. I'll try and get a good look at what he is using in tonights game!

Yep! Thats it....a Trinity. There's one for sale in the team store....

STLHAMMER32
07-27-2010, 07:26 PM
He threw the I13 in into the stands as well, he throws every bat into the stands regardless of the model.:D

He most recently has used the I13's, my guess is the knob may feel bigger to him since it's not as straight down as the c353's feel. Like I said before it doesn't matter his bat is flying into the stands regardless :p

And first at bat tonight josh looks to be using the maple I13 and he lets go of the bat and it flys into the stands again:p

cjclong
07-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Stlhammer, you may be right. He threw his blond Louisville Slugger in the stands again last night. (People are getting some nice souvenirs)