PDA

View Full Version : Let's give them something to think about...

Larry Pelliccioni
07-24-2010, 09:17 AM
After collecting 35 years and amassing thousands of items I want you to share your thoughts on the subject of collectors who want something to give a range dollarwise of what they want.
If you are selling something, it is required that you put your asking price. Why wouldn't it work the other way and that is if you want something, here is what I am willing to spend?
I know it may be difficult because values are a very tricky thing but I suggest that you as one who desires and item and has intimate knowledge of your finances, know where you want to be in order to obtain the item.
As a dealer/collector I know that I would respond to more people who have listed wants of items I might consider moving on where the money to be a fair and serious offer.
I have learned too many times that someone is wanting a Washington Senators flannel but after several emails discloses that they only have $300. to spend on one. Now that is to the extreme but I would suggest to you that all too often alot of work goes into sharing items people want only to have contact broken off when the subject finally comes around to a financial offer.
Were that known ahead of time it would save many alot of grief. It would also invite constructive comments from others on the worth of the hobby.
I would agree that the final details of any transaction should be discreet but I do not see the harm in letting others know what you want and what you would be willing to pay for it.
Please share your thoughts on this, thank you.
Larry Pelliccioni

dcrules01
01-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I would pay 400 for a home Isringhausen A's 2001 with the flag patch from after 9-11. As well as a Mets home 96 Izzy home. 350 for a 99 Izzy A's. His jerseys seem to be in the 200 dollar range. 175 for a Pulipher Mets bat.

I offered a collector around 800 for an 82 home Mets Joel Youngblood was turned down. I would pay 500 for a Doug Flynn Mets home 79-81. Would pay 250 Youngblood Red jersey 95-97 350 for a 94 road.

If that is what you mean

So if anyone has any Isringhausen Pulsipher Paul Wilson Joel Youngblood or Doug Flynn contact me. Nice thread and I Would love a Senators flannel but 300 I would not even make an offer like that .

Fnazxc0114
01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Id pay 1700 for a Josh Hamilton g/u glove, and 1250 for one from Michael Young. Would also pay 800 for a hamilton g/u helmet, and 650 for a YOung or Kinsler g/u helmet.

platinum1
01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
After collecting 35 years and amassing thousands of items I want you to share your thoughts on the subject of collectors who want something to give a range dollarwise of what they want.
If you are selling something, it is required that you put your asking price. Why wouldn't it work the other way and that is if you want something, here is what I am willing to spend?
I know it may be difficult because values are a very tricky thing but I suggest that you as one who desires and item and has intimate knowledge of your finances, know where you want to be in order to obtain the item.
As a dealer/collector I know that I would respond to more people who have listed wants of items I might consider moving on where the money to be a fair and serious offer.
I have learned too many times that someone is wanting a Washington Senators flannel but after several emails discloses that they only have $300. to spend on one. Now that is to the extreme but I would suggest to you that all too often alot of work goes into sharing items people want only to have contact broken off when the subject finally comes around to a financial offer.
Were that known ahead of time it would save many alot of grief. It would also invite constructive comments from others on the worth of the hobby.
I would agree that the final details of any transaction should be discreet but I do not see the harm in letting others know what you want and what you would be willing to pay for it.
Please share your thoughts on this, thank you.
Larry Pelliccioni
Larry you are correct.
Many people on here are placing wanted Ad's just to tell you
Sorry I was just looking to spend this much. Not even half of what you are asking on the piece. If you are really looking to ad a piece to your collection you should be ready to pay for it.

happyyoungster
01-03-2011, 10:26 PM
This post is "dead-on."
Everybody wants something, but, when it comes time to the price, they shy away because they're looking for a steal.

If you want something, pay a fair price for it. If you can't pay a fair price, don't bother asking.

Just my thoughts...

vballGuy
01-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Completely agree with you, Larry.

The only time I disagree with you on this is when you have someone who wants something but doesn't know the market (or rough market) value. I know that when I first started out, I had no idea how much 1990-1994 Blue Jays jerseys were "going for" -- part of the reason is that jerseys from this era are so darn hard to find, and secondly because the glory years for the Jays were right in the middle of this period.

I think after knowing the rough market value, or being involved in the hobby for more than a few months, should give a person enough to know what they need to pay to get an item in their collection.....

buckeyegamers
01-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Larry, I completely agree, but I would add that maybe a "range" of what you would be willing to pay would be better. I collect mainly NFL jerseys and I am generally willing to pay a little "premium" if the jersey is "hammered". If the jersey shows little to no use than I would want to pay a little less.

solarlottry
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I would pay 2500$ for a TO 49ers gamer with team paperwork, up to 750$ for a Garrison Hearst 49ers shirt with nice use and from anywhere between 300 to 3000$ for 1994 49ers gamers with team letters (more for rice, young and sanders)

Thanks
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

nationals2k9
01-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Sounds like a good idea on paper.

Just as long as we don't go bashing others dollar figures in attempts to prove that the listed $ amount is too low (or too high). In that same breath, leave the post alone unless you can help the individual find said item within said dollar amount. Don't say, "$250? Are you crazy, I'd pay $350 for that.... sell it to me instead!" :D

Hopefully this helps nudge the collectors with more stuff to begin replying to want ads. I'd imagine that's the ultimate goal here.

nationals2k9
01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Hopefully posting want ads with dollar values in excess of $500 (and considering the entire hobby and not just these boards are the territory items could potentially be pulled from) is an ethical business practice 'round these parts!

justinbittner220
01-05-2011, 03:03 PM
I will pay fair market price for any Jason Heyward jerseys. I have spent from 500-1100 for bp, minor league, and spring training jerseys, and look to continue around the same price depending on use and verification.
justinbittner220@hotmail.com