PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Manny Ramirez Zett bat on eBay

gameused
07-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Currently on ebay auctions is a Manny Ramirez Zett bat, in the description it states the bat is from the 2010 season.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110562460436&Category=60596&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1#ht_2397wt _913

I believe I was offered that exact bat last year so it's from the 2009 season not 2010 and it had Manny's 99 written in black sharpie on the knob(see pic) with no sticker on the knob! It now mentions in the eBay description that there is a hand written 99 under the sticker, but why was the sticker applied when it already had Manny's number 99 penned perfectly on the knob and why only mention this now, as their was no mention of this when the bat was originally for sale on his website weeks ago?(see pic) look at the exposed black sharpie area, it appears to have been rubbed off (Why?) and the 99 sticker was repositioned.

The seller also has a 2010 Manny Ramirez LVS/Glomar bat that I was offered last year and the descriptions mentions a stickered 99 on the knob. That bat appears to be from the 2009 season, not 2010 and it had Manny's 99 written in silver sharpie on the knob. http://californiasportsinv.com/details.php?prod_id=1839&sportid=1

They appear to be two legit Manny bats from the 2009 season with 99 stickers applied to the knob, why?? I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts about these bats.

Thanks, Bobby

gameused
07-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Here's photos sent to me in late 2009 of the Manny Ramirez LVS/Glomar bat for sale on the website. Appears to be the same bat with a 99 penned in silver sharpie on the knob.

Thanks, Bobby

spartakid
07-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Looks like you are correct Bobby, you can definitely see the part of the sharpie underline that the sticker doesn't cover up. Not to mention the fact that the gold signature and tar are the same. No doubt it's the same bat. Perhaps (I'm not sure if it's true) the seller think that a bat from this year or one with the sticker numbers is worth more than one with sharpie? I'm not sure I'd agree. The only other possibility is that maybe something happened to the sharpie marking since (it faded or something else happened to it that would make it less desirable) and they are trying to cover it up.

spartakid
07-23-2010, 05:31 PM
To clarify, my post is in reference to the Zett bat.

gamer35
07-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. I see absolutely no reason to doctor these bats as this same Zett model without name on the barrel was used pretty extensively by Manny during April 2009. However, I find it pretty disconcerting that all of CSI's bats have the 99 label when Manny seemed to not use those labels very frequently. I know that there is a pic on Presswire of the dugout showing all of Manny's bats with the 99 sticker, but if you look at pics from April 2009, you will see that all the Zett bats have a numbered knob with no sticker. If you were a buyer, wouldnt you rather see a written 99 on the knob rather than a sticker covering it up?

Also, how can you tell that the Glomar bat is from the 2009? It would make sense as I do not believe they were approved by MLB (although players have been using Glomar bats during 2010 with no cover-up on the brand), but I am not sure.

It states that these bats were purchased directly from the LA Dodgers. Do the Dodgers even sell directly to the public.

nationals2k9
07-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Hey Bobby - I've indirectly challenged Ron a couple times recently and didn't get much from his replies. I can tell you the Glomar bat I just picked up has the silver "skinny" 99 on the knob like the Glomar you show before the sticker was added. I actually learned through the grapevine a couple weeks ago from another collector about this issue. Your post here combined with the issues a couple years back with the similar odd looking ball marks on different players bats from CSI is plenty enough dirt to avoid these bats. I'm guessing you'd agree and simply want to educate fellow collectors. Thanks as always for posting.

nationals2k9
07-23-2010, 07:47 PM
It states that these bats were purchased directly from the LA Dodgers. Do the Dodgers even sell directly to the public.

Exactly. I asked if that would mean the bat would come with COA from the Dodgers or at least a receipt or something... and he replied they don't ever do that kind of thing. Interesting (and how convienent). I think we're all supposed to get a thrill from the new ball player he has his photo with every week on his website and assume all the stuff is real.

gameused
07-25-2010, 04:21 AM
Hey Bobby - I've indirectly challenged Ron a couple times recently and didn't get much from his replies. I can tell you the Glomar bat I just picked up has the silver "skinny" 99 on the knob like the Glomar you show before the sticker was added. I actually learned through the grapevine a couple weeks ago from another collector about this issue. Your post here combined with the issues a couple years back with the similar odd looking ball marks on different players bats from CSI is plenty enough dirt to avoid these bats. I'm guessing you'd agree and simply want to educate fellow collectors. Thanks as always for posting.

Michael,

Maybe Ron would get word of this thread and answer the questions we have on his Manny bats. I can only tell you what I know and that is the knobs on two of the bats had stickers applied after I passed on them. Other than that, they are legit Manny gamers. Not sure why anyone would take a perfectly legit bat with hand written 99's on the knob and add the stickered 99.

Thanks, Bobby

gamer35
07-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Could it be he thought a 2010 bat would be more valuable than a 2009 bat due to the 2009 PED suspension? I still cannot understand why someone would alter that Zett bat, which shows correct usage as Manny used them label down during April 2009, and ruin it by putting a sticker on it and call it a 2010 bat.

spartanservitto
07-25-2010, 12:05 PM
This is pretty funny, it makes absolutely no sense. Why add a sticker to a legit manny bat, where he WROTE his number? I dont get it.

-Tony

calsportrf
07-25-2010, 12:39 PM
There is / was no deception intended.

I received several Manny Ramirez bats and shoes (all used and autographed) a few weeks ago. They all came from a member of the Dodgers.

Not all the bats I received had the blue "99" sticker on the knob end. Several had "99" written on. On the Zett bat in question when I first received it I did not notice that black sharpie mark that appeared underneath the blue sticker on the knob end. When a customer requested a photo of the knob end and subsequently viewed the picture I was asked if there was something written underneath. I then pealed back the sticker to see what had been written. I discovered a black "99" written on it a sharpie. Some of the black "99" had transferred to the sticky part of the sticker so I attempted to reapply the sticker as close to how it was when I received it.

I did not add the sticker after I received it - that is how it came.

Since I received all the bats almost at the half way point of the season and given that many had pine tar that was still tacky, I listed them as 2010 bats.

In the future if anyone has a question regarding an item please email me at CALSPORTRF@aol.com . If you forget the email address in the future, just do a Google search of our company to find our website.

gameused
07-25-2010, 02:06 PM
There is / was no deception intended.

I received several Manny Ramirez bats and shoes (all used and autographed) a few weeks ago. They all came from a member of the Dodgers.

Not all the bats I received had the blue "99" sticker on the knob end. Several had "99" written on. On the Zett bat in question when I first received it I did not notice that black sharpie mark that appeared underneath the blue sticker on the knob end. When a customer requested a photo of the knob end and subsequently viewed the picture I was asked if there was something written underneath. I then pealed back the sticker to see what had been written. I discovered a black "99" written on it a sharpie. Some of the black "99" had transferred to the sticky part of the sticker so I attempted to reapply the sticker as close to how it was when I received it.

I did not add the sticker after I received it - that is how it came.

Since I received all the bats almost at the half way point of the season and given that many had pine tar that was still tacky, I listed them as 2010 bats.

In the future if anyone has a question regarding an item please email me at CALSPORTRF@aol.com . If you forget the email address in the future, just do a Google search of our company to find our website.

Ron,

You stated that you received all of the Manny Ramirez bats at or around the half way point of the 2010 season and that many of the bats had tar that was still tacky, so you assumed they were from the 2010 season. My big questions is, how did you determine that some of the Manny bats are from "2009" season?

Also, you say that they came from a member of the of the Dodgers, but on some of your descriptions you wrote: This bat was purchased "Directly" from the Los Angeles Dodgers, dont you find that misleading to potential buyers?

Bobby

calsportrf
07-25-2010, 02:32 PM
I tried to do photomatches and based my assumptions on when a particular bat was used on what brands were primarily used in what year. Also, the ones that were more tacky were assumed to have been used in 2010.

Given that you had been offered the Zett bat previously I would assume you were offered it by the same person affiliated with the team that I obtained it from.

I guess I can be more specific in saying it was purchased from a representative of the team vs. the "Los Angeles Dodgers" but the main point, I believe, is that the item originated with the Dodgers and was obtained directly from point of use.

After knowing you were offered the Zett bat without the sticker I know it makes no sense to apply a sticker to a bat that would never be used again (since it was signed). I honestly have no explanation for that, but like I said, that is how I received it. I guess my only proof for any that still have their doubts would be to see the underside of the sticker to see the sharpie transfer that would probably only occur if the sticker were applied for a period of time. I do not know when the sticker was applied. That is how I received the bat. If anyone wants to see the image you are welcomed to email me and I will shoot a photo.

Again if anyone has any question about an item we have please email me. I am not a frequent visitor to this Forum so I may miss a post with a question for me and my not answering or being a bit late in responding does not mean I am trying to be evasive.