PDA

View Full Version : Yall think palmeiro will ever come out of hiding?

Fnazxc0114
07-22-2010, 12:28 PM
I know his case was juas as embarrassing as mcquires, but do you guys see him ever getting involved in the game again? I think if the more of these guys start showing their faces and start talking about their use, then it will be easier to put the whole mess behind them. Any st. louis collectors, had mark been given grief all season over it, or did it just last during ST?

legaleagle92481
07-22-2010, 12:47 PM
I know his case was juas as embarrassing as mcquires, but do you guys see him ever getting involved in the game again? I think if the more of these guys start showing their faces and start talking about their use, then it will be easier to put the whole mess behind them. Any st. louis collectors, had mark been given grief all season over it, or did it just last during ST?

I don't think he will ever get back in the game and not because of Roids. Few star players are interested in things like coaching these days because it pays so little in comparison to what they used to make and they have to deal with the players. Even broadcasting seems unlikely. He is also not so connected to one team that he will get a front office job ala George Brett or Hank Aaron, the team he is most linked to already has Nolan Ryan as the former star filling that role. Whether or not he gets in he is a HOF caliber player and these days few of them are in the game other than as guest spring training instructors or old timer's day.

STLHAMMER32
07-22-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't think he will ever get back in the game and not because of Roids. Few star players are interested in things like coaching these days because it pays so little in comparison to what they used to make and they have to deal with the players. Even broadcasting seems unlikely. He is also not so connected to one team that he will get a front office job ala George Brett or Hank Aaron, the team he is most linked to already has Nolan Ryan as the former star filling that role. Whether or not he gets in he is a HOF caliber player and these days few of them are in the game other than as guest spring training instructors or old timer's day.

I have to disagree. It depends on the player of course and their personality. Some players who are business savvy move onto things away from the game but in general most players know baseball and are lost without it. How many players do you see even take an espn job just to talk about and be around baseball?

There are several top players and hall of famers who have excepted jobs in baseball....Tony Gwynn in college baseball, Don Mattingly has joined the dodgers, Jeff Bagwell is the hitting coach for the astros and Big Mac with the Cards. Ryne Sandberg managed single A ball and stayed at motel 8's for the love of the game and chance to be around it. Guy's like Nomar are analysts with espn and you can tell really enjoy talking about baseball. Obviously coaching isn't for everyone but there are a ton of guys who work with players behind the scenes that you don't see.

Also, guys like Cal Ripken and others constantly are having clinics for kids, not because its great pay but because thats what they know and love. It's very hard for these guys to get away from the game and in many cases they can't regardless off what role they can find.

cjclong
07-22-2010, 01:12 PM
I think it has had a real personal effect on Palmeiro. There was a story in either the Dallas or Ft Worth papers where his wife talked about how it had effected him. I guess he feels like he his is looked at as a liar by the public. He had a father who abused him psychologically and maybe that enters into it as well. His college coach talked about Palmerio hitting a double high off the fence in a game and hearing a man yelling at him as he stood on second base that he was a bum and a real hiiter would have hit a home run, and was stunned to learn that man was Palmerio's father. He seems to feel ashamed of his testing positve, which at lleast shows he has a conscience about it. Its sad as the whole thing seems to have ruined his life. I think getting back into baseball is the least of it for him.

sox83cubs84
07-22-2010, 03:26 PM
I have to disagree. It depends on the player of course and their personality. Some players who are business savvy move onto things away from the game but in general most players know baseball and are lost without it. How many players do you see even take an espn job just to talk about and be around baseball?

Ryne Sandberg managed single A ball and stayed at motel 8's for the love of the game and chance to be around it.

Yep...now Ryno's managing at Triple-A and has a good shot at replacing Lou Piniella with the Cubs in 2011. Most HOF caliber guys, if they DO stay in the game, want to start right at the top...MLB front office, coach, or manager...not work their way up, like Sandberg has.

Dave Miedema

3arod13
07-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Also..."Sammy Soooosssaaa, Sammy Soooosssaa, where are you?"

Mark17
07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Yep...now Ryno's managing at Triple-A and has a good shot at replacing Lou Piniella with the Cubs in 2011. Most HOF caliber guys, if they DO stay in the game, want to start right at the top...MLB front office, coach, or manager...not work their way up, like Sandberg has.

Dave Miedema

I always wonder about thes types of situations. OK, Sandberg started in single-A. But after just 4 years in the minors, he's on the verge of landing the Big job? Was this a case of a guy just getting his foot in the door, and then proving himself to be a terrific manager, better than all the organization's managers at double and triple A?

Or was it more a matter of a former star being assured he'd be at the big league level in a few short years, if he'd be willing to do some on the job preparation in the minors, both for the experience, and also so it would look better?

Put another way: If I had been the manager at the Cubs' Triple-A level when Ryne was given his opportunity, I would've seen the writing on the wall and tried to get with another organization. Competing for a job on a level playing field (so to speak) is one thing; competing with a Hall of Famer is quite another.

sox83cubs84
07-23-2010, 04:54 PM
I always wonder about thes types of situations. OK, Sandberg started in single-A. But after just 4 years in the minors, he's on the verge of landing the Big job? Was this a case of a guy just getting his foot in the door, and then proving himself to be a terrific manager, better than all the organization's managers at double and triple A?

Or was it more a matter of a former star being assured he'd be at the big league level in a few short years, if he'd be willing to do some on the job preparation in the minors, both for the experience, and also so it would look better?

Put another way: If I had been the manager at the Cubs' Triple-A level when Ryne was given his opportunity, I would've seen the writing on the wall and tried to get with another organization. Competing for a job on a level playing field (so to speak) is one thing; competing with a Hall of Famer is quite another.

There may well be much truth to that, but the fact is he's still eating at McDonald's and living at Motel 6 on the road and starting from near the bottom (low A ball was his first job).

The "work your way up" notion with the Cubs, with or without a predetermined time frame, is not new. The Cubs waved a managerial job at Billy Williams in the late 1980s, under the caveat that he spend 1 season at AAA Iowa first. Williams declined, and kept his role as a MLB level coach.

Dave Miedema