PDA

View Full Version : Flag caps different in 2001

sox83cubs84
07-21-2010, 05:55 PM
As a quick note, I've noticed more than a few listings for the pre-2008 US flag adorned caps (for Memorial Day, July 4th, and 9/11) listed as 2001 examples. That year was, indeed, the first time such caps were used (introduced after MLB resumed games after the terrorist attack). And, unlike 2002-present (including the 2008-10 Stars & Stripes caps), they were worn from their introduction until the end of the season, and not just for holidays.

How do you know if you have a 2001 version (as opposed to 2002-07) without provenance? There is a way.

In 2001, the caps, perhaps due to the week break and the fresh memories of the attacks, were issued with the US Flag logo embroidered directly into the cap fabric on the left side. Subsequent years merely employed caps with heat-pressed flag patches.

I received one of the Pirates 2001 9-11 caps at season's end, as did local buddy Joe McCarthy...he got a Dave Clark, while I received the one Kevin Young was wearing. A third fan we both know got Eric Young's Cubs cap the same day. All three had the flag embroidered into the cap fabric.

It's possible that a few players (the Steve Kline and John Wetteland types) who wear the same cap all season might have had their caps in 2001 also affixed with the heat-pressed flag, but, without sufficient provenance, it would be impossible to prove it.

Dave Miedema

vballGuy
07-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Great piece of info, Dave! Thanks!