PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady Game Issued Patriots TB Helmet

NFL_Fan
07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding the Tom Brady Game Issued Pats Helmet currently offered on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOM-BRADY-2002-GAME-ISSUE-THROW-BACK-HELMET-AUTO-RARE-/270605639127?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f015a5dd7

Although I am very cautious with so called superstars and game issued helmets this helmet looks good to me. It was issued for the game against the Lions in 2002 and comes with a Gridiron COA and LOA. Gridiron has a very good reputation and contracts with many Patriots players according to my knowledge. In addition the decals look good and seem to be at the right place.

What is your opinion on the helmet?

Thanks to you in advance!

Tedw9
07-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Let me start by saying I know nothing about game used or issued helmets. I leave that to the experts like aeneas01.

I can't speak to the fact that the Brady helmet is issued or not, but after looking at his other helmet it raised a red flag with me.

If you look at his team signed Brady issued helmet you will see one autograph on the back bottom that seems to have the number sticker and part of the American flag sticker OVER the autograph. That seems really odd to me. I would think that if the helmet was issued to Tom for a game, it would be game ready, stickers and all.

I know you can purchase those decals on Ebay and stick them on yourself, I did it with my Brady signed helmet. And seems how it was done long after the Patriots "issued" the helmet to Tom, after it had been signed I would wonder if that helmet, or the other helmet were really issued to Tom at all.

NFL_Fan
07-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Thank you very much for your response and your thoughts. There is nothing to add. I was very critical about this helmet as well and it raised a red flag indeed. There were some of these helmets sold on ebay and I totally agree with you that nothing is easier than making a reproduction of a Tom Brady helmet and the fact that it is issued increases the chance to buy a fake. I also recognized the other helmet from the seller and wondered like you did that the signature were under the number sticker. If it was game issued the helmet would have been ready fro the game and the signatures could only be on top of any decal.

Many thanks again for your response and your thoughts.

Mulligans
07-21-2010, 03:09 PM
I inquired regarding the number issue yesterday and the seller responded ....."I have no idea"

aeneas01
07-21-2010, 03:46 PM
riddell produces a "proline" series helmet for retail sale which are reproduction team helmets that are very similar to what's worn on the field - but they all look the same (same facemasks, chinstraps, etc.) and are lacking certain team decals and other details. gridiron authentics, radtke sports and others take it a step further by customizing helmets to better match what teams actually wear on the field including what specific players actually wear on the field. but in the final analysis all of these helmets are the same thing - reproduction helmets that have never seen the inside of a team locker room. but unlike riddell, gridiron authentics, radtke sports and others use word games ("team issue", "game helmet". "game ready", etc.) in an effort to trick folks into thinking they are actually purchasing authentic team helmets.