PDA

View Full Version : Maryland/DC Area collectors

BergerKing22784
07-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey guys this is not a sports related question/comment but I figure someone might be able to help... Also I figure if you guys are able to help it will increase my ability to purchase more game used items! haha

So I am very loyal and I do believe it has comeback to bite me because of it. I have worked retail for 9 years at the same place and have not been able to network outside of the retail environment because of it. I am a college graduate (business management) who graduated in May of 2009 and have been actively looking and applying for jobs since that time. I have had no luck and my lack of connections has not helped any either.. I really want to get out of the retail environment and work a more stable 9 to 5, 8 to 5 Mon thru Fri type job.

They say knowing someone at a place is the best way to get a job. So my question is do any of my Maryland/DC area collectors have any job openings where they work or can you pass along resumes at all?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Brian Berger
brian.berger@cablespeed.com

Fnazxc0114
07-20-2010, 11:55 PM
I dont live in the area but have you looked on usa jobs? The govt is probably the biggest employer in that region, and it also is one of the few markets that has seen any growth in the last year.

legaleagle92481
07-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Hey guys this is not a sports related question/comment but I figure someone might be able to help... Also I figure if you guys are able to help it will increase my ability to purchase more game used items! haha

So I am very loyal and I do believe it has comeback to bite me because of it. I have worked retail for 9 years at the same place and have not been able to network outside of the retail environment because of it. I am a college graduate (business management) who graduated in May of 2009 and have been actively looking and applying for jobs since that time. I have had no luck and my lack of connections has not helped any either.. I really want to get out of the retail environment and work a more stable 9 to 5, 8 to 5 Mon thru Fri type job.

They say knowing someone at a place is the best way to get a job. So my question is do any of my Maryland/DC area collectors have any job openings where they work or can you pass along resumes at all?

Brian Berger

Brian,

The best way to get a job is via interning. Even if you are already graduated it is not too late.

BergerKing22784
07-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I was really just hoping someone on here just worked some place that had a job opening in the area where they could just tell me where to send my resume and than tell their HR look out for me. I have gone to USAjobs with no luck.

BergerKing22784
07-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Just bummed out. All your life you hear go to college get that great paying job. Well Ive gone to college and it aint that easy to get that good paying job! Let alone any job at all.

legaleagle92481
07-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I was really just hoping someone on here just worked some place that had a job opening in the area where they could just tell me where to send my resume and than tell their HR look out for me. I have gone to USAjobs with no luck.

I know what you mean. I have a younger brother who has looked for a job since December. He has an MBA and he is interning because he could not get anything. It takes a long time some times. Years ago, when I finished law school in a much better market it took me until Nov. of the next year until I got a job offer and two months after that until I got a decent offer. All you can do is apply for every and any job you see somewhat related to your field. Contact old professors and classmates who were a couple of years ahead to see if they know of anything , go to networking events, employment agencies, intern even if its a couple of hours a week but most of all stay positive you will get something sooner or later.

BaseballGM
07-22-2010, 07:28 PM
The Federal Government jobs can be very good, especially because of the benefits. I've seen a few persons start out as contractors (companies hire people because they have a contract with the Government) work hard and gain experience in the job well enough to apply for a Fed job. If something like this appeals to you I highly recommend you act now because things are going to get tight in the Fed workplace over the next few years. I've heard rumblings of vacancies going unfilled and early retirement offers being given. Just look at the US deficits and you'll see the problem. But, I digress. Keep searching and don't give up. Keep your credit spotless as anyplace that does does a background check will see your credit worthiness, which may give an impression of your character.

Dewey2007
07-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Brian Berger

Brian, I wish you the best of luck in your job search. I work at a university here in CA and was wondering if your former school has an on campus Career Center or holds career/internship fairs in the fall? If they do, these would be good places to go to get help with your resume, cover letters, and to search for jobs. I know our Career Center is available to new alumni (for a fee) to use their services after graduation. Also at the career/intern fairs it's also a good place to network and get your resume out to a lot of employers all at once. You might want to look into this if you haven't already. Also, like others have said just stay positive and keep doing the footwork and hopefully good things will happen.

Best,
Dewey

tcfor3
07-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Check with Spherion.com.

They are an employment company that does prescreening for several companies around the country including most of the top businesses in the Wash/DC area.

Also, AOL in Dulles, Virginia, is supposedly hiring up to 900 employees over the next several weeks.