PDA

View Full Version : Interesting find..Mark McGwire bat from 98'.

cubs93
07-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Hello everyone. I don't normally post much but thought some of you McGwire collectors would like to see this one. I recently bought a McGwire signed from a contact in Florida. The bat is very interesting for a couple reasons. First, it has a sweet auto on it that says, "HR #56, 9-1-08, All My Best, Mark McGwire STL 25". On the knob of the bat is model MAC25, batch code 769 and then 98. The bat is game issued and does not appear to show any use. In talking with Jeff Scott from Birdbats.com I confirmed McGwire hit 2 homeruns in Florida on 9-1-98 of which one of them was number 56. Here is another interesting part...the batch number 769 is the same batch number on the bat McGwire used to hit homeruns 56 through I think 62. So, it is my guess that the fan that caught homerun #56 traded the ball back to McGwire in exchange for this game issued bat. I just cannot see why he would have signed it with this inscription plus adding the fact that the batch number is the exact same as the bat he used to hit homeruns 56-62. Makes sense he pulled this out of his bat bag I'm Florida and traded it for the ball. Can anyone else help me make sense of the inscription? If my assumption is right and this bat came from the same run or batch used to break the record can anyone help me with figuring out what this bat is worth? I'll try to add photos later tonight. Special thanks to Jeff Scott for offering me some help on this one. My email address is eknapp33@yahoo.com thanks again for any help anyone can provide.

cubs93
07-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Sorry everyone...the inscription says 9-1-98....not 08'. My mistake.

panthrotc
07-18-2010, 07:55 PM
I saw the bat you are talking about on ebay. There is no use to the bat. So to assume that mac prolly traded the signed bat for the actual ball makes sense. I feel bad for the fan that made that deal. If you go on getty images you will see images of mcgwire hitting HR's 56 and so forth. The bat he hit 56 with was heavily used. If you know mcgwire, during 98 he basically used a bat it cracked. So i would put my life on it and im sure jeff from bird bats would agree if he hit 56 with the bat and there was nothing wrong with it he would continue to use it. 2001 is a different case where he would change bats after HR's to give it away as a gift, But the bat your talking about is interesting. Def not game used but odd that it has the 56 HR inscription but it was not game used.

cubs93
07-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Thank for the post. Yeah like I mentioned the bat is not used but is still a very cool item given the auto with the inscription as well as the 769 batch code. Given the details of this bat and the fact that it more than likely was traded for the HR #56 ball anyone have any idea of its value?

STLHAMMER32
07-18-2010, 11:11 PM
sounds like an interesting bat. Could someone provide the auction link, I'd love to take a look at it! Thanks

cubs93
07-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi. I think the bat might be currently listed on ebay however the prior owner was not aware the bat had any markings on the knob at all. The prior owner thought it was just a signed bat with a cool inscription. If you look at the ebay listing there is no mention at all about the bat being game issued from 98 and from the same batch of bats MAC used to break the record. I can't seem to find the previous owners link. Sorry. I am considering moving this if anyone can help me determine the value. Thanks again.

STLHAMMER32
07-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Hi. I think the bat might be currently listed on ebay however the prior owner was not aware the bat had any markings on the knob at all. The prior owner thought it was just a signed bat with a cool inscription. If you look at the ebay listing there is no mention at all about the bat being game issued from 98 and from the same batch of bats MAC used to break the record. I can't seem to find the previous owners link. Sorry. I am considering moving this if anyone can help me determine the value. Thanks again.

I'm very confused...you think that the bat might currently be listed on ebay? I was under the impression it was listed on ebay and then you purchased it. If you are wondering value photos would really be helpful. Sounds like a nice bat I'd love to see it.

nycpropain
07-19-2010, 05:01 AM
Hello everyone. I don't normally post much but thought some of you McGwire collectors would like to see this one. I recently bought a McGwire signed from a contact in Florida.

How dont you know if an item you bought is on ebay or not?

cubs93
07-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Sorry for the confusion. I did not buy this bat off of ebay. I picked it up privately then after I had gotten it learned that the prior owner had it listed on ebay. I only saw his ebay listing once and it wasn't until I had already owned it for a couple days. I'll try to post photos tonight. Thanks

rj_lucas
07-19-2010, 11:06 AM
It's plausible to think the signed bat was traded for the HR ball. Both of the home runs McGwire hit that night landed on the tarp in straightaway center field i.e. they were likely retreived by someone from the Marlins.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

rj_lucas
07-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Here are links to the eBay listing and Hollywood Collectables page, with a photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360278634179&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D3602786341 79%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com/mark-mcgwire-9198-best-autographed-signed-rawlings-bigstick-james-spence-p-20406.html

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

sox83cubs84
07-19-2010, 01:13 PM
The idea of trading a brand new bat for a home run ball makes sense...back in 1971, Rich Buhrke, co-dean of the Waveland Avenue Ballhawks, was given a mint LS Ron Santo bat (signed) by Ron in exchange for his 300th home run.

Dave Miedema

STLHAMMER32
07-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Here are links to the eBay listing and Hollywood Collectables page, with a photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360278634179&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D3602786341 79%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com/mark-mcgwire-9198-best-autographed-signed-rawlings-bigstick-james-spence-p-20406.html

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Thanks Rick,

Yep I would say there is a good chance this was obtained via a trade, it certainly makes sense.

cubs93
07-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Here is a photo of the knob of the bat. I have other photos but they seem to be file sizes that are too large to post. I'll try to reformat them to smaller sizes and get them posted. Thanks again.

cubs93
07-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Sorry for such large photos. I'm trying to get the posting pictures part figured out. Here are a couple more photos.

cubs93
07-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Sorry...last photo!

panthrotc
07-19-2010, 07:18 PM
It's plausible to think the signed bat was traded for the HR ball. Both of the home runs McGwire hit that night landed on the tarp in straightaway center field i.e. they were likely retreived by someone from the Marlins.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

if you saw highlights which i specifically remember, fans were running onto the tarp and falling through it in the scramble to get the ball. I remember the one fan getting to ball and then falling through the tarp. Those balls were retreived by fans.

STLHAMMER32
07-19-2010, 09:34 PM
if you saw highlights which i specifically remember, fans were running onto the tarp and falling through it in the scramble to get the ball. I remember the one fan getting to ball and then falling through the tarp. Those balls were retreived by fans.

Yes I remember everyone running on the tarps as well. You can see the hr's on the video about the 98 race as well. The other option I could see with this bat is that it was a gift to someone, perhaps a friend that was attending the game and asked for a bat. I have seen similar items that were gifted by mac.

spartanservitto
07-22-2010, 09:54 AM
What a cool bat. I think it is a fair price given that the bat is a legit game model, the autograph and inscriptions are legit.... and I agree on the story, it definitely was a gift, much more personal then one of the signed in mass steiner bats. Great pick up, especially for the Mcgwire collector.

-Tony

cubs93
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for your posts and information. This is a pretty cool piece. Due to some other things I'm working on I will be looking to move this bat. If anyone does have any interest in this bat let me know. I'd be looking to sell it however would be open sell / trade as well. Thanks again for all the comments and information. Email me at eknapp33@yahoo.com if you have any other help you can offer on the bat or are interested in it.