PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Detroit Tigers Ausmus GU?

mlupo
07-16-2010, 03:10 AM
I'm not sure if this is a GU, GI, or retail authentic. I bought this jersey on ebay a couple years back with the idea that it was an autographed retail authentic from 2000 with the Comerica Park first season patch. The listing was pretty simple and only had a photo of the back of the jersey and maybe one of the auto. The seller never said it was GU or GI, but when I received it I noticed the markings on the tag and it made me wonder. There is no wash tag or tag of any kind on the inside, also no size tag. My guess is that it is a retail authentic, but maybe a Game Issued? I know the "JS" are initials of the Tigers clubhouse manager, but I have never seen a Tigers tag with an "I" or "N"(maybe they stand for Issued and Not Worn). Any help would be great.

mlupo
07-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Anyone???

tigerdale
07-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi, let me start by saying...I'm really not sure...but I would feel confident knowing it most likely came out of the clubhouse having the JS initials...no retail jersey would do that. Also, if it was signed for retail, I would assume most are signed on the numbers & the jerseys made later as needed. I know the final games of every season, the tigers give the jerseys off there back & sign them for the lucky fans drawn..maybe it was something like that. I have seen tiger gamers w/out the strip tag before..I know I didn't really help..

mlupo
07-18-2010, 01:57 AM
Hi, let me start by saying...I'm really not sure...but I would feel confident knowing it most likely came out of the clubhouse having the JS initials...no retail jersey would do that. Also, if it was signed for retail, I would assume most are signed on the numbers & the jerseys made later as needed. I know the final games of every season, the tigers give the jerseys off there back & sign them for the lucky fans drawn..maybe it was something like that. I have seen tiger gamers w/out the strip tag before..I know I didn't really help..

Dale, thanks a lot, I figured you would be the person who would have the best idea. Do you think maybe someone added the initials themselves and tried to pass it off as a GU? I'm glad you mentioned the "shirts off out backs" give away, I was thinking that myself. I think when they do that they sign it on the jersey and not the number, but that might not always be the case. Oh well, I paid like $50 for a really nice signed jersey that at the very least is retail authentic and has the patch.

spartakid
07-18-2010, 02:51 AM
I'm not a jersey expert by any means, but the initials and the extra letter appear to be with the same pen (looks a little bit faded). So that would lead me to believe that all of the things were written at once. If so, someone trying to forge the initials wouldn't have added the extra letter that aren't typical. So, I would guess that the initials are legit. Hopefully that means, as Dale said, it was at least in the clubhouse.

Dewey2007
07-18-2010, 12:25 PM
The Tigers Equipment Mgr's name is Jim Schmakel so the jersey most likely came out of the clubhouse. Contact Marc Himelstein of the Tigers Authentics. Maybe he can confirm the handwriting since he handles all of the Tigers jersey that are sold by the team and has seen the EM's handwriting lots of times.

mlupo
07-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks guys I will try to contact Marc and see if he knows anything.

eGameUsed
07-18-2010, 06:17 PM
mlupo,

Does the Ausmus jersey show any signs of use? I own multiple Brad Ausmus jerseys spanning 2001 to 2008 and all show heavy wear to the shoulders adjacent to the neck. It is piling from the catcher's gear. Most show predominent use to the left side of the neck. These traits might indicate if it was worn. The front Russell tag looks like it shows wash wear.

Thanks,

mbrieve
07-18-2010, 06:30 PM
mlupo,

Does the Ausmus jersey show any signs of use? I own multiple Brad Ausmus jerseys spanning 2001 to 2008 and all show heavy wear to the shoulders adjacent to the neck. It is piling from the catcher's gear. Most show predominent use to the left side of the neck. These traits might indicate if it was worn. The front Russell tag looks like it shows wash wear.

Thanks,
These are good points, however, if it was a shirt-off-our-back event, it may have been a one time use...

sox83cubs84
07-18-2010, 07:26 PM
The JS on this tag looks the same as that on my 1999 Tigers road Tony Clark (fully tagged and with game use evident).

Dave Miedema

mlupo
07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
mlupo,

Thanks,

You know, I'll have to pull it out again and look, from what i can remember it doesn't show much use.

larry bourget
07-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Mike,

email me i have some Clubhouse contact info for you regarding the Ausmus.

larry.bourget@sympatico.ca