PDA

View Full Version : Is don mattingly one of the most over rated players of all time?

Fnazxc0114
07-15-2010, 07:17 PM
He had a four year stretch where he was good but beyond that his numbers arent anything to be excited about.

Mark17
07-15-2010, 10:15 PM
At least Mattingly played outstanding defense.

My vote goes to Roger Maris. Yes, he hit 61 home runs one year, but his next-best home run total was 39, then 33. Those were the only 3 seasons he hit 30 or more homers. And, take it with a grain of salt, Jim Bouton in Ball Four says Roger was one of the all-time slackers.

It drives me nuts when I hear about the Yankee tandem of Mantle and Maris... Other than a couple years, it was all Mantle.

legaleagle92481
07-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Maris won two MVPS and was probably the only man to hit 61 homers without PDAs. The chase in many ways ruined his career and probably also shortened his life. He faced such tremendous and constant stress and pressure. He is not in the Hall and noone ever puts him on the list of even top 15-20 yankees. So I don't really think one could say he is overated.

Same for Mattingly he was one of the best players in the game for several years but he got hurt at his peak he was a batting champ, gold glover and mvp. Again noone says he is even a top ten yankee and he has not sniffed the Hall. So I don't see him as ovverated.

From a collectibles perspective both players are probably overvalued though.

One Yankee who belongs on any overated list though is Joba Chamberlain and his collectibles are overvalued.

cjclong
07-16-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't think Mattingly is over rated I think most people regard him as very good All Star ballplayer, but not a Hall of Famer. If the hadn't been hurt his numbers might put him in a higher category, but he was excellent while he was healthy.

flaco1801
07-16-2010, 02:28 PM
mattingly was a damn good ball player, had he not got hurt he would be in cooperstown, no doubt....

mariner_gamers
07-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I started collecting cards in 1987 and just missed Don's huge years. Watching Mac, Canseco, etc I never really understood why that damn 1984 Donruss Mattingly was so expensive. Looking back now at his stats it is clear what the expectations were even into the very early 1990's. Folks felt he is going to to do 1985 or 1986 over again and move towards the Hall. It just never happened and I don't think Yankee fans can let it go nor should they.

Don WAS Yankee baseball at a time when there were no championships. He was gritty and played the game the way it should be played. For years I felt he was way overrated but now that I have lived through a full generation of my teams stars I understand his appeal. He transcends his numbers simply because whether you were 8 or 58 Mattingly was the common thread that represented NY baseball and how baseball should be played in general for an entire decade.

3arod13
07-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Don Mattingly isn't overrated at all. He could have been much better without his back injury (herninated disk). He played through his pain, and his dedication to the game is well respected.

In m book, he's a Hall of Famer!

Fnazxc0114
07-16-2010, 09:07 PM
if we put him in the hall i guess we should put will clark in too.

R. C. Walker
07-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Definitely not one of the most overrated players.

If it weren't for that fact he played for the Yankees, the HOF would not even be mentioned.

Extremely overrated = Joba Chamberlain. :rolleyes:

Fnazxc0114
07-16-2010, 11:00 PM
i wonder what happened to joba? Did the yankees change pitching coaches? He used to be able to hit a 100 on the radar.

legaleagle92481
07-17-2010, 02:12 AM
Here is an interesting question Kirby Puckett is in the Hall what makes him a HOFer and Don not? I am not advocating Don should be at all and Kirby is one of my fav players I am just curious how one is first ballot HOfer and other will probably never get in.

Dach0sen0ne
07-17-2010, 12:28 PM
i wonder what happened to joba? Did the yankees change pitching coaches? He used to be able to hit a 100 on the radar.

Joba looks out of shape and looks like he's gained some weight. Maybe he's been hitting the buffet with CC or something.

3arod13
07-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Don Mattingly isn't overrated at all. He could have been much better without his back injury (herninated disk). He played through his pain, and his dedication to the game is well respected.

In m book, he's a Hall of Famer!

I didn't mean he was actually a "Hall of Famer." I meant with his determination to play through pain as long as he did, he's a hall of famer in my mind.

Yes, if he wasn't a Yankee, we wouldn't even be discussing it.

Fnazxc0114
07-17-2010, 01:34 PM
not sure why either, sympathy vote?

Here is an interesting question Kirby Puckett is in the Hall what makes him a HOFer and Don not? I am not advocating Don should be at all and Kirby is one of my fav players I am just curious how one is first ballot HOfer and other will probably never get in.

Dewey2007
07-17-2010, 04:24 PM

2 World Series titles. Although their stats are similar and they were both the heart and soul of their respective teams nothing separates players like postseason success. I also think Puckett was more consistent over his career then Mattingly. Plus I think it's safe to say that Puckett would have probably ended up with 3,000 career hits if he had not gotten glaucoma.

sox83cubs84
07-17-2010, 07:35 PM
A healthy back and a few more years of regular play would have cinched Mattingly's induction. He reminds me of a guy from my youth...Tony Oliva. Oliva hit every bit as well as Twins teammate Rod Carew, and with a few more longballs. Healthy knees, and Oliva would have been in, without question.

Dave Miedema

STLHAMMER32
07-17-2010, 09:13 PM
I would classify Bo Jackson as being over rated or i guess over valued when you look at performance compared to prices. He had unbelievable potential and skills but stats wise never put it together...he finished with a .250 batting average, 142 hrs and a ton of k's to go along with a poor obp.

Mattingly, put together a nice career and was a heck of a player especially defensively. There are a few members on the forum I have seen argue that he should be in even with the injury-shortened career stats, I can't see that argument but it usually involves "well if this guy is in then".....

Mattingly is well respected in the baseball community even without staggering numbers...he is loved and from all accounts a great guy who is great to his fans...that really helps his appeal and over time I think that gets taken into account and factored into how good he was on the field...

The exact opposite can be seen with Albert Belle......this guy still has incredible numbers that are matched by few in baseball history over the span of time he did it in. You can really make a case for Albert even with his short career. He was hated by most the wrote about him and had some anger issues he took out on others, you can pick his game used bats up for 65 bucks and his numbers are much better than a guy like mattingly.... He could have gone down as one of the greats of all time had his career not been cut short. I think he averaged 40 hrs and 130 rbis over his career while batting right around .300. He had one year with 50 doubles and 50hrs, still the only guy to do it.... even playing injured with one leg he still was very effective.

gingi79
07-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Growing up on Long Island in the 80's. there were 2 kinds of fans. Mets fans who thought Darrrryyyyyl Strawberry was going to be a first ballot HOFer and Yankee fans who though Donnie Baseball was going to be a first ballot HOFer. Of course as a Braves fan, I was convinced that Dale Murphy was a first ballot HOFer.

The 80's were full of guys who never fulfilled their potential. A short list of guys who were considered HOFers in their prime but won't make it:

Don Mattingly
Dwight Gooden
Daryl Strawberry
Bo Jackson
Dale Murphy
Julio Franco
Keith Hernandez
Fred McGriff

I am sure I am missing a few others but Don wasn't overrated, he was simply the best player on a lot of bad Yankee teams and had health issues that derailed what seemed to be a HOF career at one time. I agree if he was a KC Royal or played in a small market team, he'd be remembered as another John Kruk

JimCaravello
07-30-2010, 12:02 PM
From 1984 - 1989, Don Mattingly was the best player in baseball - period. That's 6 years in which he won the MVP award in 1985 and should have won the award in 86 as well. During this six year period, he had 5 gold gloves, six all star appearances and 3 Silver Slugger awards.

He will never get into the HOF, but he is not overated - bad back hurt his career.

Hard to find many ballplayers that you can say for six straight years was the best in the game.........IMHO

suave1477
07-30-2010, 12:43 PM
From 1984 - 1989, Don Mattingly was the best player in baseball - period. That's 6 years in which he won the MVP award in 1985 and should have won the award in 86 as well. During this six year period, he had 5 gold gloves, six all star appearances and 3 Silver Slugger awards.

He will never get into the HOF, but he is not overated - bad back hurt his career.

Hard to find many ballplayers that you can say for six straight years was the best in the game.........IMHO

Ok you know im gonna have an argument here Mr. Caravello lol:D

I can argue during that same time period Strawberry was the best
From the same time period years you gave - 83 to 89
Rookie of the Year
6 X All Star
World Series Champion
88 Silver Slugger
Voted in the top ten twice for MVP and in the 88 he actually should of won

33bird
07-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Yes. Good not great. Loved the way he approached the game. His game used stuff is WAY overpriced too.

Fnazxc0114
07-31-2010, 01:22 PM
I think he was pretty comparable to will clark.

legaleagle92481
08-02-2010, 12:24 PM
I think he was pretty comparable to will clark.

Clark was never really domiant, Mattingly was he had 145 rbis one year. Though their final numbers are comparable.

sox83cubs84
08-02-2010, 01:02 PM
The best radio baseball beat reporter in Chicago, Bruce Levine of WMVP AM1000, has a place where the Mattinglys, Garveys, Mark Graces and others just a notch short of Cooperstown go. He calls it the Hall of Very Good.

Dave Miedema