PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Yogi Berra Coach Road Jersey

wolfpack1123
07-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Hello. I have came across a Yogi Berra 1977 Road Jersey. I'm fairly new to the game used items and was wondering if anyone had ever seen or know how Yankees jersey's were tagged in 1977 for the coaches. Any info or input would be greatly appreciated! I've attached some pictures...tell me if you think it's authentic or not.
Thanks
Paige

sox83cubs84
07-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Weird jersey...the NIC and tail strip tags look pretty normal, but the Wilson tag design on the jersey is one not put in general use until 1979.

What's weirder is that this is not the first time I've seen such a jersey. A 1977 set 1 of #54 (pre-Gossage) with NIC removed but the same design on both tail tags was offered by a dealer some 15 years ago. Probably similar sourcing, but why the correct-looking embroidered tags and the erroneous Wilson label? This could be interesting to find out more about.

Dave Miedema

wolfpack1123
07-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Dave,
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at a 1977 Reggie Jackson game used home jersey and the Wilson tag on it looked similar to this one except the registered trademark symbol was on top of the Wilson tag and not at the end on Wilson. I was looking at other game used jersey's from 1977 to 1978 though and some Wilson tags looked like this others just had the trademark sign in the other place. My other concern is that players jerseys had their name, year and set number stitched inside the collar but this one did not. Do you think that may be because its a coachs jersey? Do you think it's authentic?
Thanks
Paige