PDA

View Full Version : buying direct or second market?

pungent
07-14-2010, 10:31 AM
just wanted to get an idea if most of the members here buy game used items directly from team sources/partnerships or on the secondary market like Ebay, other members?

legaleagle92481
07-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Secondary market is cheaper, just be sure everything matches up to what you would get from the original source.

yankees506
07-14-2010, 10:54 AM
I buy from both, there both good ways to make friends in the market. Like always its not what you know but who you know. I have gotten some great items from both, but the secondary market is a bit more risky, just do your home work like legal stated.

spartakid
07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Both for me as well.

short84
07-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I have found good items from both sources. If you see something on EBAY, do your homework and don't be afraid to ask the seller questions. If you don't get an answer or get a rude answer, then don't buy from that seller. I won't purchase an item from a seller that won't take the time to answer my questions. I agree that items are usually less expensive when purchased from a secondary market but some direct dealers do offer good deals. I collect Dallas Cowboys' items and have gotten some terrific deals through Steiner auctions. I purchased a throwback jersey for $250 through an auction that had a list price of $1000. I have been pleased with everything I have purchased from them and have learned to be patient because eventually the item I have been wanting will make it to one of their auctions.

I have also gotten a tremendous amount of information from this forum and from some of the discussions that have taken place about items listed on EBAY or other auction sites. The members on this forum can provide valuable information about an item that you might be interested in.

Susanne

Fnazxc0114
07-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I buy from both, better deals generally are found on ebay. I buy a lot from guys that have connections with the players, these items tend to cost more, but i have better piece of mind.

ivo610
07-14-2010, 07:37 PM
except for NFL auctions I have only bought one item directly from a company (Steiner). Several reasons really, first off the selection from places like JO and Steiner is limited to the partnerships, the price plays a big role when buying from companies, and lastly I have never had a good interaction from JO. I have called them 4 times to ask about different items and have always been promised a call back because they were busy and I have never gotten one. They said they would call me back one time about an item as the person I talked to wasnt familiar with it, and they never called back but I did see the item was removed from the website.

Buying from collectors I trust is great as alot of the time they have put alot of time into researching the item and it saves me the time as all i have to do is verify. Ebay is tricky, its rare to see an item thats legit, fits into what I collect, priced right or listed as an auction, and from a good seller.