PDA

View Full Version : 2010 All Star Game Thoughts

island_style
07-14-2010, 05:17 AM
Did I miss it, or was O Canada not peformed before the game? Can anyone who went to the game confirm if this is true? Or, is it not sung at All Star games held in the US?

What did you think of the boos coming from the crowd when the Yankees were being introduced? With Steinbrenner's passing that morning, do you think the boos were justified?

Feel free to post other thoughts about the game.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

cjclong
07-14-2010, 10:45 AM
The game was played in the Angels park so I guess its not surprising that the Yankees were booed. I've always thought it was stupid to boo someone like Jeter who is a fine player and appears to stay out of trouble. Its sort of like booing Cal Ripken. I don't boo other teams star players, I respect them. And booing at an All Star game seems especially silly, if you are the fan of an American League team with a chance to go to the World Series you want all the American League players including the Yankees to do well. As far as Steinbrenner dying, I don't think it was any worse to boo the Yankee players, they weren't booing him. In fact, he might have appreciated it . Fans rarely boo players who can't beat their team.

Fnazxc0114
07-14-2010, 11:10 AM
The only non angel and dodger that didnt get booed was vlad. I thought it was pretty funny, and the players appeared to get a good laugh out of it as well.

Did I miss it, or was O Canada not peformed before the game? Can anyone who went to the game confirm if this is true? Or, is it not sung at All Star games held in the US?

What did you think of the boos coming from the crowd when the Yankees were being introduced? With Steinbrenner's passing that morning, do you think the boos were justified?

Feel free to post other thoughts about the game.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

LastingsMilledge85
07-14-2010, 11:23 AM
The only non angel and dodger that didnt get booed was vlad. I thought it was pretty funny, and the players appeared to get a good laugh out of it as well.

Evan Meek didn't get booed, hell if you're not a Bucs fan I don't think anyone knows who he is. Charlie seems like he didn't know him or knew that he had him to use. My only complaint (for a game I can't stand) is I would of liked to see Meek and Rhodes pitched. Rhodes has been through so much off the field and considering his age, this may have been his first and last All-Star game. I could bet that he really would have lived to inscribe his son's initals on that mound in front of all those people in what is considered an honor and important game. As for Meek, it would be nice to see a Buc actually play in an All-Star game since one hasn't seen action since 2008. I know the Pirates haven't been a respectable franchise, but Meek really has had an off the charts season.

godwulf
07-14-2010, 11:24 AM
The Yankees came to Chase Field a short time ago, and, quite honestly, I was embarassed by the way Jeter was booed each and every time he came to bat. Hey, I'll boo the Yankees as a team all day long, but I see no earthly reason to single out Derek Jeter.

I suspect that it's mainly just a reaction to what we perceive as the Yankees fans' adoration of him - in much the same way that the (what we perceive to be) arrogance of Yankees fans prompts a correspondingly strong negative reaction. I think it's far less any kind of statement directed at Jeter as it's just something people do to get the Yankees fans' collective goat.

godwulf
07-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Booing for players who are playing FOR, even if it's just for the day, YOUR TEAM, just because they're wearing a different uniform, is stupid, by any standard.

In the Fall League, naturally I cheer for whatever team the DBacks prospects are playing for, AND for their teammates...and while it's initially hard to cheer for a Giant, or a Yankee, or a Rockie, I get over it.

But back to the ASG, did anyone happen to see (or hear about) who Chris Young gave the game ball to? I'm always interested in that kind of thing. I'm guessing it went to the skipper of the NL team, or maybe the WP...?

flota89
07-14-2010, 11:41 AM
I thought the game was great. The NL pitching really was as good as advertised. Ubaldo, Johnson, Halladay, and Wainwright along with the relievers looked impressive. I didn't like Kuo in that game to start an inning though, and I would have given a couple people another at bat.

cjclong
07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Godwulf, the Rangers fans boo Jeter the same way every time he comes to bat. They also boo ARod, but he used to play here and said some things when he left that seemed to be bad mouthing the team. The funny thing is, I don't think Jeter minds at all, he seems to be pretty composed and takes it as a compliment. What's really silly is they don't boo a Cano or Posada even when they are getting hits to beat the Rangers. I guess fans pay for their tickets and have the right to boo if they want to, but to constantly boo one of the star players on a team who conducts himself well on the field and off seems pretty bush leauge to me.

godwulf
07-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Sometimes booing can send a message to somebody who's not even on the field. I remember several years ago, when Sammy Sosa was still playing, but before any revelations about him and PEDs, and there was talk of him being offered a contract with the Diamondbacks. The next time Sosa was in town, the fans really let him have it, relentlessly - as a message to the DBacks management: we don't want this guy. Prior to that time, he'd been pretty well received here.

Baseball fans have long memories. I can remember Terry Shumpert and Tino Martinez getting booed in Phoenix years after the incidents for which DBacks fans still hold a grudge. I can recall having to explain to younger (or possibly just forgetful) fans why everybody was booing those guys.

Bondsgloves
07-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Game was great! San Francisco Giants will have homefield advantage in the World Series!:D

Fnazxc0114
07-14-2010, 07:30 PM
It would have been cool to see neftali feliz 100 mph heater on that stage but he will have many more all star games to come.