PDA

View Full Version : George Steinbrenner Passes away at age 80!

camarokids
07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2010/july/121475/Yankees-owner-George-Steinbrenner-has-died

Tampa-
New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has passed away.
As Bay News 9 was first to report, Tampa Fire Rescue responded to a call at Steinbrenner's house shortly after 9 a.m. Steinbrenner was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital.
His death was confirmed a short while later. Yankees officials said he died of a massive heart attack.
Flags were immediately lowered to half-staff at Steinbrenner Field, where the Yankees play during spring training.
A historic baseball career

Steinbrenner purchased the Yankees in 1973 for $8.7 million. His ownership of the team marked the end of a lackluster period for the Yankees, which had languished since the late 1960s.
In the decades since then, the Yankees won 11 pennants and seven World Series titles.
He was one of the most controversial figures in major league baseball for his pursuit of high-priced free agents and the feuds he conducted with them. He was also known for his hands-on, demanding personality, which earned him the nickname 'The Boss.'
Steinbrenner's relationship with the Bay area

Steinbrenner is also known for his philanthropy in the Tampa Bay area. He spent most of his time in Tampa after 2006, while leaving his sons Hank and Hal Steinbrenner to run the Yankees organization.
His contributions to the area have been noted, most recently with the naming of the new Steinbrenner High School in Lutz.
He also founded the Gold Shield Foundation, an organization that provides financial aid to the families and spouses of Bay area law enforcement officers and firefighters who were killed in the line of duty.
Statement from the Steinbrenner family

"It is with profound sadness that the family of George M. Steinbrenner III announces his passing. He passed away this morning in Tampa, Fla., at age 80.
"He was an incredible and charitable man. First and foremost he was devoted to his entire family – his beloved wife, Joan; his sisters, Susan Norpell and Judy Kamm, his children, Hank, Jennifer, Jessica and Hal; and all of his grandchildren.
“He was a visionary and a giant in the world of sports. He took a great but struggling franchise and turned it into a champion again.”
Statement from Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio

"I am deeply saddened by the death of George Steinbrenner. Our community has lost a grand and generous person who made a difference in ways large and small. With a larger-than-life personality, he leaves a lasting legacy in sports, business, and philanthropy. Many times he worked behind the scenes to help individuals and institutions – all to make Tampa a better place to live. He was a true community leader. By making Tampa the home for his family and the spring training home for the New York Yankees, he forever changed our community for the better. He cared about law enforcement and their families and his establishment of the Gold Shield Foundation will continue to positively impact lives. His dedication to the betterment of the youth in our community was unmatched. Mr. Steinbrenner’s passing is a great loss to our city and to his family and friends. On behalf of the city of Tampa, I offer condolences and I ask our community to keep them in your thoughts and prayers. He will forever be missed."

yanks12025
07-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Should have been put in the hall of fame a long time ago.

sox83cubs84
07-13-2010, 01:05 PM
The Boss ruffled a few feathers at times, and, being aware of that, I was surprised after perusing a few autograph-related publications to find that George was a very amicable autograph signer. So much for first impreessions of a man's personalityy.

All told, even if you're a Yankee hater, you've gotta feel for the team and its fans over the last week or so. First Bob Sheppard, and now the eldest Steinbrenner...maybe hold off on the Yankee bashing until their fans have had time to mourn appropriately...?

Dave Miedema

70to66
07-13-2010, 04:37 PM
He did it His way! RIP Mr. Steinbrenner!

godwulf
07-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Should have been put in the hall of fame a long time ago.

Nothing against the man personally, but, seriously, what - aside from having a big checkbook and throwing huge amounts of money around - did the man ever really do for Baseball?

I'm not a big fan of the whole concept of non-player HOF inductees, anyway, but it's easy to see why some managers, execs, broadcasters, even the occasional umpire, might rate that honor...but Steinbrenner? Why?

yankees506
07-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Nothing against the man personally, but, seriously, what - aside from having a big checkbook and throwing huge amounts of money around - did the man ever really do for Baseball?

I'm not a big fan of the whole concept of non-player HOF inductees, anyway, but it's easy to see why some managers, execs, broadcasters, even the occasional umpire, might rate that honor...but Steinbrenner? Why?

I mean he only took a team worth ten million and turned it into a billion dollar empire. Talk about making a mountain out of a mull hill. R.I.P Boss, may you fire billy martin one more time in heaven for good times sake! :D :(

dcrules01
07-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Here are the patches if anyone comes across these lmk i'd like a set..Thanks

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2010/07/13/beRUl45G.jpg

sox83cubs84
07-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Looks like the Yankees in the ASG are wearing a black mourning band on their left sleeves for one or both men.

Dave Miedema

godwulf
07-14-2010, 11:38 AM
I mean he only took a team worth ten million and turned it into a billion dollar empire.

Then, by all means, put the man in the Corporate HOF, or the Investor's HOF...not Cooperstown.