PDA

View Full Version : Lee Trade

AWA85
07-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I know there are a lot of Rangers fans on the board, so wanted to hear your thoughts on the trade? Giving up Smoak and a few prospects should be interesting.

I wanted the Reds to pull the trigger but there were certain guys I didn't want to see traded (Mesoraco).

sox83cubs84
07-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Although it would have been nice to see the White Sox get him in light of Jake Peavy's season-ending injury, at least, if it wasn't the Chisox, it was Texas (and not the Yankees).:)

Dave Miedema

LastingsMilledge85
07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't see why the Reds would have needed Lee, where would he fit in the rotation down the line? You have Volquez, Arroyo, Leake, Harang (pending time on DL) and Cueto. All those guys plus Homer Bailey Are just fine for the Reds. If anything they could use a bullpen arm or two.

kellsox
07-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I don't see why the Reds would have needed Lee, where would he fit in the rotation down the line? You have Volquez, Arroyo, Leake, Harang (pending time on DL) and Cueto. All those guys plus Homer Bailey Are just fine for the Reds. If anything they could use a bullpen arm or two.

Are you serious????Because he's head and shoulders better than all of those guys
Volquez hasn't pitched in a year and is coming off major surgery
Arroyo is a .500 pitcher
Leake is a rookie and come September will be pitching more inning than he probably should
Harang has sucked for the last 2-3 years
Cueto's career era is around 4.5
Lee is a top 5 pitcher in the majors

LastingsMilledge85
07-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Kellsox, have you taken the time to see that Harang is having a spectacular season? Do you also realize that the Reds probably don't stand a chance at signing him next year over a team like the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, etc. So with a somewhat solid rotation that the Reds currently put out there, why give up maybe a Yonder Alonso and Travis Wood for a rental player? If you really want to go get someone, take Brett Myers and save your top guys.

kellsox
07-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Took me 2 seconds to see that Harang is 6-7 with a 5.02 ERA
Please tell me you were joking when you said he was having a "spectacular" season

gorilla777
07-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Texas gave up a ton for a rent-a-player. A team that cannot figure out who is going to buy/own them stands no chance of signing him. Good move by Seattle, they are dead this year.

dcgreg25
07-09-2010, 08:28 PM
I think it was a great deal for the Mariners but trading for a star like this only makes sense if you are going to sign a player. It is great to make a run but Lee probably will not win the Rangers a World Series. You think the Brewers would love to have Laporta and Brantley back despite how great Sabathia was for the 2 months the Brewers had him?

LastingsMilledge85
07-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Not spectacular, but he's an innings eater which teams love to have. As I said, they have Volquez and Bailey coming back plus if one was to falter they canfind someone other than Lee and not have to give up the prospects, that the Lee trade demanded. Ted Lilly, Brett Myers, Jevin Millwood, or Jake Westbrook would be suitable. They are solid pitchers that won't demand much in return from their current clubs.

kellsox
07-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Whoever traded for him is playing for this year and Lee could put most contending teams into the playoffs. if I am the Reds, Rangers or any other team in their position I make the deal. These teams havent made the playoffs in forever and have a great chance this year - good to see other teams making big moves.

yanks12025
07-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I was already to buy my Lee Yankee jersey but the M's backed out.

apfriz
07-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Cliff Lee is a monster, and perhaps cant truly be appreciated until he is on your team....Philly fell head over heals for him last year...He is a no nonsense, no bs pitcher, whatever the rangers gave up will be worth it...

Ask any Philly fan, they would love to Lee still....and I bet to a man, although they would never say it, they ALL wish they still had Lee, he was well liked in the clubhouse...

I have been rooting for him all season, and will continue to do so...

and just to throw out an alternative spin....Should Lee help Texas go deep in the playoffs, say ALCS....it would actually be beneficial for the Ranger owners....nothing sells like a winner !

gingi79
07-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Non Yanks fans should be thrilled that the M's said "What would you give?" Then used that to manipulate the Rangers. The Yanks were never getting him, they were pawns.

I don't know enough about the Rangers to comment. However, Mark Teixieira cost the Braves Elvis Andrus plus for nothing. Elvis The All Star. I wish it was that Cuban stain Yunel Escobar instead because he is a heartless toad they should trade for some balls. instead of getting hosed.

When the Ms have a few stars from this trade and Cliff walks, welcome to current MLB rules

Neely8
07-10-2010, 01:35 AM
After attending the Reds/Phillies game tonight and witnessing in person an epic choke by the Reds relievers I think it is clear that they should have made a strong push to get Lee. They definitely need somebody to come in and help right now because even if the Reds do make the playoffs they will get an early exit judging by what I saw last night as well as tonight in Philly.

legaleagle92481
07-10-2010, 10:19 AM
IMO 1. Texas wrapped up the AL West with this trade and now becomes a serious World Series contender with their deep lineup, flame throwing closer and now an ace at the top of their rotation. 2. The Reds, Yankees, etc. had no real chance at Lee because the Mariners need a big time offensive star and none of those teams had a player like Smoak to offer. Smoak looks like he may turn into a huge hitter. 3. If Texas falls short of the World Series it is a terriable move because Smoak will be a big time player and Texas has zero chance of signing Lee. This is a huge possibility because the AL playoffs are likely to include both the Yanks and Red Sox and Texas would likely have to beat both to get to the Series, no easy feat and making the playoffs only in a weak AL West or making them and winning only one round is no real accompolishment.

geoff
07-10-2010, 02:10 PM
I would not have Traded Smoak unless I knew 100 Percent that Cliff Lee will be Signing And Staying with The Rangers.Justin Smoak is going to be very good in A few Years I think.

cjclong
07-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I think the Rangers were surprised that Seattle didn't ask for one of their top level pitching prospects as well. I think they were very surprised to get Lee for Smaok and not have to give up much else. We don't know how good Smoak will be in the future. As far as a hitter he may have been called up too early and he will probably never be a gold glove fielder. I think if Lee becomes a free agent and doesn't sign with Texas they will get some draft choices so they may not have lost that much.

Fnazxc0114
07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
I guess my smoak 1st hit hr bat will get to go to the closer for a few years since it no longer fits in my collection

Fnazxc0114
07-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Tex cost the braves Andria who mlbplayers voted s having the best range inthe bigs also neftali feliz who will probly win Roy salty Matt haarison. As deep as the rangers farm system is we won't miss any of the guys traded

QUOTE=gingi79;208218]Non Yanks fans should be thrilled that the M's said "What would you give?" Then used that to manipulate the Rangers. The Yanks were never getting him, they were pawns.

I don't know enough about the Rangers to comment. However, Mark Teixieira cost the Braves Elvis Andrus plus for nothing. Elvis The All Star. I wish it was that Cuban stain Yunel Escobar instead because he is a heartless toad they should trade for some balls. instead of getting hosed.

When the Ms have a few stars from this trade and Cliff walks, welcome to current MLB rules[/QUOTE]

cjclong
07-12-2010, 01:55 PM
It's possible Smoak will turn into a good hitter, but it is also possible he won't. Out side of taking some walks and showing some power he had not showed much else. He may develop, but he sure wasn't ready yet. And there is nothing about his fielding that shows him to be above average. Some people were surprised that the Mariners didn't take the catcher the Yankees offered as they think him the better player. I think Texas is in the position that they realize there chance to win the division and possibly advance in the play offs doesn't come around often so they need to try while they can. Smoak will never be another Teixeira because he doesn't have his fielding skills, no matter how he hits.

legaleagle92481
07-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I think the Rangers were surprised that Seattle didn't ask for one of their top level pitching prospects as well. I think they were very surprised to get Lee for Smaok and not have to give up much else. We don't know how good Smoak will be in the future. As far as a hitter he may have been called up too early and he will probably never be a gold glove fielder. I think if Lee becomes a free agent and doesn't sign with Texas they will get some draft choices so they may not have lost that much.

To get picks they have to offer him arbitration, which there is no chance of happening. If he accepts he would get 15 plus million which Texas obviously cannot afford. Yeah he wants a multiyear deal but can Texas take that risk? The Yankees could acquire someone else before then and be out of the running and maybe noone else offers him the kind of coin he wants so he just accepts arbitration as the way of getting it.

cjclong
07-13-2010, 08:16 AM
As the Rangers currently are financially there is no way they could pay Lee for another year. But if the sale goes through to the Ryan group that could be a different story. Although Lord only knows how the bankruptcy proceeding they are currently in will turn out.

Fnazxc0114
07-13-2010, 12:54 PM
If the sale goes through the rangers could afford 15 million . The are the 6 th biggest market in MLB. Also with harden gone if he doesn't get his crap together the deal could easily get done