PDA

View Full Version : Whose your first half mvp?

Fnazxc0114
07-08-2010, 07:59 PM
AL Josh Hamilton probably biased becasue im a rangers fan, but i dont think there is another hitter in the al with his bat or outfielder with his speed and arm.
NL-Ubaldo Jimenez i normally wouldnt pick a pitcher, but in my mind the numbers he is putting up make him the most valuable player on his team. I wonder wheree the rockies would be if he wasnt there?

xpress34
07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
AL Josh Hamilton probably biased becasue im a rangers fan, but i dont think there is another hitter in the al with his bat or outfielder with his speed and arm.
NL-Ubaldo Jimenez i normally wouldnt pick a pitcher, but in my mind the numbers he is putting up make him the most valuable player on his team. I wonder wheree the rockies would be if he wasnt there?

2nd both of those.

Just got home a bit ago from watching Ubaldo dismantle the Cardinals line-up while the Rox lit up Carpenter.

Baldo is now 15-1 going into the AS break (where he will START!!!) with a 2.22 ERA.

DOMINATING is the word that comes to mind.

Hamilton looks like he is locked in as well as any hitter I have ever seen...

All the best -

Chris

yanks12025
07-08-2010, 08:10 PM
AL: Robinson Cano

And i agree with your NL pick.

Fnazxc0114
07-08-2010, 08:53 PM
i didnt know cano was putting up those kind of numbers. Probaly have 30 hr's and 200 hits, thats pretty impressive.

WadeInBmore
07-09-2010, 09:21 AM
MVP is kinda hard for me right now...so many good choices. Really nice watching new stars shine so brightly.

AL-Hamilton, Cano...jeez both good choices

NL-Jimenez is having a great year so far, potential 30 game winner :) I also am on the Votto train, he's got what 22 hrs so far!!!

AL ROY- Detroits LF Brennan Boesch
NL ROY- Atlantas OF Jason Heyward (but he's gotta get healthy if hes gonna wint it)

This is the first time in a long long while that I've even been able to talk ROY or MVPs. The next generation isn't disappointing to say the least. I hate it when a pitcher gets the MVP cause they often get the cy young as well. Hope the second half delivers!!!

wade

shoremen44
07-09-2010, 09:33 AM
MVP

AL-Hamilton - I think he cotinues to rake... and takes the Rangers to the playoffs

NL-I think Votto gets it if he continues to hit and can lead the Reds to the division crown... but watch out... if my boy Pujols starts bombing them in the second half, and raises the avg... and the Cards take the division... I am not sure if Sir Albert wins it... but he make it easier for someone to steal from Votto

BradleyERyon
07-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but my first half choices are:

AL MVP-Josh Hamilton and NL MVP (and CY)-Ubaldo Jimenez.

legaleagle92481
07-10-2010, 10:25 AM
My picks:

AL MVP-Miguel Cabbera. Texas and the Yankees have several other big hitters in their lineups and Detriot does not. Miggy is also actually closer to the Triple Crown than Hamilton.

NL MVP-Adrian Gonzalez-Ubaldo's having an amazing year but a pitcher only pitches once every five days so he is not more valuable than a guy who plays everyday. I saw the Padres play the Nats the other day and the rest of that lineup is minor league quality (the Hairston brothers, Gwynn Jr.) without his bat they would not be in contention despite their stellar pitching.

flota89
07-10-2010, 11:03 AM
AL- Hamilton. Didn't have to think much for that one.

NL- This one is tough. First I pulled some stats from who I believe to be the two hitters so far. I will bold whoever is better in each category.
Pujols. 21HR, 64RBI, .305AVG, 43SO, 96HITS, 21DBLS, .411OBP, .571SLG
Votto. 22HR, 60RBI, .315AVG, 71SO, 95HITS, 14DBLS, .421OBP, .593SLG
Looking at that, Votto is a close winner to me (although I don't think Votto will outhit Pujols the rest of the year).

Now you have the argument of Ubaldo being first half MVP. I will use stats for who I think are the top 3 pitchers also.

Ubaldo Jimenez. 2.20ERA, 3CG, 2SHO, 127IP, 87H, 46BB, 113SO
Adam Wainwright. 2.11ERA, 4CG, 1SH0, 136.1IP, 102H, 35BB, 127SO
Josh Johnson. 1.70ERA, 1CG, 0SHO, 122IP, 89H, 28BB, 123SO

Out of those three pitchers, Jimenez actually is the worst one to me. I like Johnson because of that 1.70 ERA.

Even with the good pitching, they only help one out of five days, and Votto helps every day. So I say Joey Votto is first half MVP but I think Albert Pujols will have a better second half and win it.

gingi79
07-10-2010, 11:31 AM
If Ubaldo or Votto win it, no one would be surprised. But the best player on a good team that has carried them through some tough months, Martin Prado is his teams MVP. If the Braves continue to play like they have since late May, they will not only win their first NL East crown since the epic 14 in a row but could make some serious noise in the postseason.

Some things to consider:

Prado leads MLB in hits. More than even AL MVP Hamilton

When Chipper, McCann, Glaus, Melky, Diaz and Escobar were hitting sub .225 as a team, it was Jason Heyward and Prado who kept them in it. Now they will lead the NL East at the All Star game. The last time the Braves were in first this late in a season was 2004. (BTW Look at that divisions w/l record against each team in the NL East:

Braves 16-14
Mets 18-19
Phillies 15-17
Marlins 17-16
Nationals 15-15

They are all almost .500 against each other. That tells me no one is feasting on weak opposition.)

xpress34
07-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Ubaldo Jimenez. 2.20ERA, 3CG, 2SHO, 127IP, 87H, 46BB, 113SO
Adam Wainwright. 2.11ERA, 4CG, 1SH0, 136.1IP, 102H, 35BB, 127SO
Josh Johnson. 1.70ERA, 1CG, 0SHO, 122IP, 89H, 28BB, 123SO

Out of those three pitchers, Jimenez actually is the worst one to me. I like Johnson because of that 1.70 ERA.

What are you smoking?

Jimenez 15-1
Wainwright 13 -5
Johnson 9-3

Jimenez and Johnson both have started 18 games, Wainwright 19. If Tracy hadn't pulled him Sunday when he DOMINATED the powerful Cardinals line-up (Pujols, Holliday, Rasmus, etc) Jimenez would easily have his 4th CG. He left after 8 with ONLY 83 pitches thrown. Carpenter looked pedestrian at best after 6 innings with 113 thrown.

In his 1 loss, Ubaldo went 7 and gave up 1 run. The Rox offense let him down in that one.

In his 1st No-Decision he did give up 6 runs but SO 7 in 5.2 ip. (Boston game where Giambi lit up Papelbon for a upper deck HR)

In his 2nd No-Decision he gave up 7 runs but still had the lead when he left and the Bullpen (Manuel Corpas to be exact) blew the save and the Win or Baldo would be at 16-1.

And in his 2 no decisions, Jimenez should have had at least 1 more win, but the bullpen blew the lead.

If the Rockies bats weren't sleeping in his 1 loss, he could be at 17 - 1.

I didn't expect anyone (including Ubaldo) to break Gibson's ERA record and I'm pretty certain Johnson won't do it either.

Onw word describes what Ubaldo has been this year - DOMINATING. And when you talk about what other players have done for their teams, he has rejuvenated this team when he comes to the mound after their other starters or bullpen may have faltered. Not a factor you can discount.

I could care less how many walks Ubi gives or what his final ERA is at - his WINS is what moves the Rockies forward. The low ERA and low BBs doesn't do crap for the TEAM.

- Chris

xpress34
07-10-2010, 12:28 PM
They are all almost .500 against each other. That tells me no one is feasting on weak opposition.)

Gingi -

While the Beast of the East are near .500 against each other this year, with 2 games left before the AS break, the Best of the West has two teams within 2 games of 1st place and could go into the break with 3 tied for 1st.

Should be an interesting 2nd half.

- Chris

xpress34
07-10-2010, 12:30 PM
In his 1st No-Decision he did give up 6 runs but SO 7 in 5.2 ip. (Boston game where Giambi lit up Papelbon for a upper deck HR)

I forgot to mention - he was almost scratched for this game but pitched it while battling the Flu. If he had sat it out his ERA would be well below 2.0 as well. Just an FYI

- Chris

flota89
07-10-2010, 12:38 PM
What are you smoking?

Jimenez 15-1
Wainwright 13 -5
Johnson 9-3

Jimenez and Johnson both have started 18 games, Wainwright 19. If Tracy hadn't pulled him Sunday when he DOMINATED the powerful Cardinals line-up (Pujols, Holliday, Rasmus, etc) Jimenez would easily have his 4th CG. He left after 8 with ONLY 83 pitches thrown. Carpenter looked pedestrian at best after 6 innings with 113 thrown.

In his 1 loss, Ubaldo went 7 and gave up 1 run. The Rox offense let him down in that one.

In his 2nd No-Decision he gave up 7 runs but still had the lead when he left and the Bullpen (Manuel Corpas to be exact) blew the save and the Win or Baldo would be at 16-1.

And in his 2 no decisions, Jimenez should have had at least 1 more win, but the bullpen blew the lead.

If the Rockies bats weren't sleeping in his 1 loss, he could be at 17 - 1.

I didn't expect anyone (including Ubaldo) to break Gibson's ERA record and I'm pretty certain Johnson won't do it either.

Onw word describes what Ubaldo has been this year - DOMINATING. And when you talk about what other players have done for their teams, he has rejuvenated this team when he comes to the mound after their other starters or bullpen may have faltered. Not a factor you can discount.

I could care less how many walks Ubi gives or what his final ERA is at - his WINS is what moves the Rockies forward. The low ERA and low BBs doesn't do crap for the TEAM.

- Chris
First of all, stay away from the person attacks (the what are you smoking comment) and have an adult conversation. I never said Ubaldo wasn't dominating. Just less dominating that than the others. As you should know, a pitcher doesn't control his wins. ERA is the most important stat for a pitcher.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your no decision argument? He should have gotten losses in those, but got bailed out by his offense. I think I heard he gave up like 17 runs in 17 innings or something like that.

Which pitcher is better?

Pitcher A: 20-0 4.50 ERA 300 innings pitched
or
Pitcher B: 0-20 1.00 ERA 300 innings pitched

Pitcher B

It's pretty much the same concept between Ubaldo and Josh.

Ubaldo has more wins, but Josh has a better ERA. Who dominated more? The better ERA. (which is also why I will take Wainwright over Ubaldo. Not to mention we know Adam is his best under high pressure. ex. 2006 playoffs, 2009 playoffs and end of season)

And about your Chris Carpenter pedestrian comment, he hasn't been exactly right since taking a line drive off his right arm just two starts ago.

As much as you like Ubaldo, he isn't the most dominating pitcher in the game.

flota89
07-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I forgot to mention - he was almost scratched for this game but pitched it while battling the Flu. If he had sat it out his ERA would be well below 2.0 as well. Just an FYI

- Chris
I doubt he is the only pitcher to get the flu this season. I'm sure that the other top pitchers have had some days like that as well. You don't know if his ERA would be below 2.00.

Manram
07-10-2010, 12:48 PM
AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera(Nearly is leading every triple crown category)

NL MVP and Cy Young: Ubaldo

rj_lucas
07-10-2010, 01:03 PM
If Ubaldo or Votto win it, no one would be surprised.

Really? I would be stunned to see a pitcher win the MVP. The last time it happened was nearly 20 years ago, and it's been over 40 years since it last happened in the NL.

I think the nature of the game has changed such that the MVP is now viewed as a de facto hitters award. The sports writers might conceivably award it to a pitcher as a symbolic gesture e.g. pronouncing the end of the 'steroids era'. But the last thing the game needs, IMO, are sports writers making symbolic gestures.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

schubert1970
07-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Miggy Miggy Miggy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Triple Crown here we come.

legaleagle92481
07-10-2010, 01:14 PM
I can't see how people put Hamilton above Miguel. Guerrero has stats that are very, very close to Hamilton's in the same lineup in a hitter's park. While Miguel has noone near the quality of Guerrero or Michael Young in his lineup and he plays in an extreme pitcher's park.Both are on first place teams and Miggy has a much higher OBP and 10 more RBIs.

geoff
07-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Miguel Cabrera is my Vote.He is A Monster And put his Troubles behind him.

Manram
07-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Miguel just went deep in his first AB today...................

sportscrazy13
07-10-2010, 06:46 PM
AL- I don't see how you can't pick Cabrera- monster first half

NL- Votto or Prado- I'll give a slight edge to Votto