PDA

View Full Version : Gotta ask everyone's opinion on this...

justinbittner220
07-08-2010, 07:45 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-Alex-Rodriguez-Rookie-Year-Mariners-Batting-Helmet-/170510276822?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b33458d6

Supposed Arod Mariner batting helmet.

CollectGU
07-09-2010, 07:33 PM
If you were interested in buying, its best not to post here for an opinion. After your post, poof, gone....

Dave

justinbittner220
07-09-2010, 08:15 PM
That's what I hear...lol. No I just wondered what people thought about it as far as authenticity, etc. It's a pretty cool item if it's real.

commando
07-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Last year on eBay someone was selling several of these exact batting helmets from 1994, new in the box, with Griffey's number on the back. The helmets were supposedly sourced back in 1994 or so for Griffey to sign at shows. His number could have easily been removed and ARod's number placed on...

I'm not saying this is what happened, but it's a scenario that should be considered if the helmet has no provenance. For the record, I bought one of those Griffey helmets, and it was beautiful!

Manram
07-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Last year on eBay someone was selling several of these exact batting helmets from 1994, new in the box, with Griffey's number on the back. The helmets were supposedly sourced back in 1994 or so for Griffey to sign at shows. His number could have easily been removed and ARod's number placed on...

I'm not saying this is what happened, but it's a scenario that should be considered if the helmet has no provenance. For the record, I bought one of those Griffey helmets, and it was beautiful!

When i first took a look at the numbers on the back, it looked like some numbers were removed. Can't know for sure though

justinbittner220
07-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Those are the reasons that I asked the questions. thanks for the insight!

slambam
07-10-2010, 09:22 PM

I have no idea, just a couple things that came to mind... What side of the helmet has the flap on that helmet? I would guess it would be a helmet for lefty since it was a Griffey helmet, while this is a rightys helmet. And is the Griffey a size 7 1/4?

justinbittner220
07-11-2010, 08:51 AM
I also looked at the ear flap. However, even if they were the same helmets, which they couldn't be, would people be any farther ahead changing from one star to another?

commando
07-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately, I sold the helmet shortly after I bought it (at my local sports memorabilia booth). I don't remember the side the flap was on...

All I can say is that provenance is important for newer pieces, especially hats and helmets.