PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authentic Jerseys Questions

cardinals0103
07-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Ok, So I have a limited knowledge and experience with MLB Authentic Jerseys. I have a few myself that I bought from mlb.com. Once a while I'll browse around ebay and see what deals there are and such. It makes me mad to see the amount of fakes that are flooded on ebay. Just can't stand them.

I have a few questions I wanted to ask you fellow experts or those with more game used/authentic experience than me.

1. About Authentic jerseys, nothing game used. Basically I can tell in person/with adequate photos (if online) whether or not a jersey is authentic or not. What came across my mind is a while ago I read something on this board about like a 3rd party that stitches lettering (numbers and nameplates on authentic jerseys), is this true? So Lets say someone buys a blank Authentic Jersey and gets a number and nameplate sewn on thru a 3rd party. Do you consider the entire jersey to be an "Authentic one"
When I buy a jersey, I goto mlb.com and get the authentic there because I sometimes can't get over the fact that a third party does lettering and numbers sometimes. Is this very common and how does the quality compare to something bought from mlb.com/straight from the team?

2. Majestic BP Jerseys. I'm looking to buy a BP jersey to wear around and have come across some cheap ones on ebay. The jerseys only have numbers on them due to the team styles. Do these BP jerseys also have corresponding 6200/0062 tagging on them? What I'm trying to distinguish is how can I tell the difference between a game worn/issued BP jersey from a retail one that had the numbers done from a third party. Are there different jock tags/special tags for team issued and retail jerseys?

3. About Game Used/team Issued jersey.
Basically, I only know about the codes on the tags to tell whether or not its retail or team issued. something like 6200 is retail and 0062 is team issued right? Anything else subtle besides the obvious tagging for GU items.

tilley72
07-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Cardinals0103,

Hopefully this helps, I'll just answer your questions with corresponding numbers.

1. Yes, third parties often letter and number jerseys, though the jersey they have may actually be an "Authentic" blank. There are several reasons third parties do this, 1. to cut down on costs (They can make the jersey up once you order it as opposed to carrying a bunch of the Authentics with player's names on them.) 2.Cut down on space needed (Storing the numbering and lettering requires a lot less room than storing full jerseys, etc.) and the other reasons keep going on. Honestly, in my opinion I wouldn't really care if I bought a fake Authentic jersey off of eBay if I was going to wear it around, I mean it's just not worth it to go to mlb.com or a team store and get gouged on something like that. However, if I were getting a jersey to get signed or framed for my collection, I probably would either buy an Authentic jersey from MLB.com, the team store, or another reputable retailer.

2. Yes, the BPs also have the 6200/0062 tagging, except that the they are numbered 6800/0068, this is just the difference in the product line for Majestic. If you are buying an older BP, which I don't think you are, the only manufacturer that uses the 6200/0062 tagging is Majestic, so Russell Athletic, Rawlings, and other manufacturers would have other characteristics to differentiate the retail from the player issue jerseys, like neck tags, etc.

3. As for the retail tagging, I believe the only difference is the 6200/0062 tagging for Majestic. (And if it's a cool base actual jersey it is tagged 6300/0063.) Though certain teams also add tagging to their jerseys, i.e. strip tags in the neck, year tags extending from beneath the Majestic manufacturer's tag etc., which also helps in differentiating the two. And again if you are going after older jerseys, Majestic was not always the main manufacturer of baseball jerseys, so other manufacturers have different characteristics to help differentiate game used jerseys from retail jerseys.

-Andrew Tilley
Ajtilley@capitalsportsinvestments.com

sox83cubs84
07-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Building on Andy's notes, the 0068/6800 applies only to 2007-09 BPs (I haven't seen a 2010 version yet). Majestic BPs from 2003-2005 used a code of 0065 (game)/6500 (retail). Fronm 1997-8 through 2002, the codes were ooo6/6000. And, prior to 1997-8, the gamers were coded 6000.

Also,Majestic Turn Back the Clock game jerseys of the last few years are coded TB62 for gamers, as opposed to 0062. Cool base gamers, as Andy noted, are 0063/6300.

Also, there are rare occasions when a retail jersey gets used in a game, or a handful of ganme-issued are sold as retail. The code difference is the norm, but it's not an absolute.

Dave Miedema

cardinals0103
07-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Ah ok, Thanks for the information.

Has anyone gotten an authentic jersey and had a third party do the numbering and name plate? If so, how is accurate (materials/design) is the product and craftsmanship compared to the ones mlb and the teams issue?

And where can I find more information about these third party companies as far as how much it costs to get a blank jersey done?

mlupo
07-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Ah ok, Thanks for the information.

Has anyone gotten an authentic jersey and had a third party do the numbering and name plate? If so, how is accurate (materials/design) is the product and craftsmanship compared to the ones mlb and the teams issue?

And where can I find more information about these third party companies as far as how much it costs to get a blank jersey done?

I'm not sure about baseball, but I had a hockey jersey lettered by a 3rd party about 10 years ago and it was spot on. I can usually spot fake lettering from a mile away. I had mine done at a store in the Detroit area called Palace Locker Room, it's is owned by the Detroit Pistions but they carry all sports, they did not do the job in house though, they send it away to be done and I had it back in about a week.