View Full Version : "Richie Hebner" Mets jersey on ebay

TNTtoys
07-07-2010, 08:25 AM
All,

If you're one of the many bidders or watchers on this jersey
<<
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140423054955
>>
and think that it is legitimately Richie Hebner's jersey, you may have missed a couple of key details in the photos.

First off, I would like to say that Kruk Cards is an honest shop. I do not believe that they are trying to deceive anyone with this listing. I just feel that they are not experts in the game used area and do not realize what they have here. This is evident from communication with them regarding this particular jersey.

Richie Hebner Mets items seem to command a premium these days... and that is because they are rare. He only played with them for 1 year: 1979. Hence, the number of legitimate game used home and roads from that one year are very few. It is no big surprise that once one finally surfaces, many Mets collectors will be all over it...

However, a true Hebner jersey would have a strip tag that contains HIS player number (3). A correct 1979 strip tag for Hebner should read: XX 79 3 (where "XX" would indicate the size of the jersey). This one reads "18" instead; the number worn by Joel Youngblood that year. Even more evidence that this jersey was made for Youngblood can be found in the enormous sized nameplate applied to the jersey. A short name like HEBNER would have taken a much smaller nameplate. This one however wraps all the way around the jersey in the shape of a "horseshoe", with many inches of space before the "H" and after the "R." The only reason for such a large nameplate anomaly is that the jersey once had the extra large YOUNGBLOOD nameplate, and that nameplate was stripped off, as the Mets did to all of their jerseys just before recycling them to their minor league affiliates. When the jersey was ultimately restored, a nameplate the size of the old one was needed because it would have been the only way to cover up the stitch holes that the old one would have left. In my opinion, the subsequent owner of the jersey did not want a "Youngblood"... they wanted a "Hebner."

Nick

eisenreich8
07-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Nick,

Interesting and important thread! Thanks for starting it.

I asked Richie probably 10 years ago how easy it was to get his GU on eBay, and he told me, very emphatically: "If you ever see anything of mine for sale on eBay, or any similar place, it was never worn by me".

I am going to be seeing Richie on Friday night. I will bring a copy of the listing with me and get it straight from his mouth whether or not he wore this jersey in 1979. Of course, by then, the auction will have closed and a winner will have assumed ownership of it, good or bad.......

In the past I have bought from this seller and had a few issues with descriptors (year in listing, etc) and you can expect a reply indicating that it's to the best of their knowledge, or similar. I, too, do not assert deception here, but I am personally very convinced that it is not a Hebner jersey.

Will post results on Saturday here.

dcrules01
07-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I am curious to his response. I as a Youngblood collector want this jersey because the tagging and nameplate suggest it was his at one time. I have been looking for a 79-82" I own his uniform from 78" for about 4 yrs. I am up in the air on what to do because it seems like the price is being driven up because it is listed as a 79 Hebner. I can not picture Youngblood attracting a lot of bidder but I could be wrong. Anyway you can contact Hebner before hand? It's a longshot but never hurts to ask. Nick thanks for the input I was thinking the same thing.

eisenreich8
07-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Hmmmm. The jersey sold for $456+, and while browsing on eBay I happened upon this photo. Style match, and look at the number on the bat knob. Possible that Hebner inherited a formerly GW/issued Youngblood jersey, making the extended nameplate necessary and the #18 on the tag, in fact, explainable? Or, conceivably, Hebner was initially issued #18 and quickly made a number change to 3? I dunno.

At any rate, I am planning to present Richie with clear photos from the auction tonight and will see if he can shed any light on it after 31 years......

eisenreich8
07-09-2010, 11:40 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/RICHIE-HEBNER-NEW-YORK-METS-UNSIGNED-8X10-/370404073414?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item563dcd9fc6

Sorry, forgot the link!

eisenreich8
07-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Probably the whole #18 conjecture I made here is invalid cuz Richie wore #18 his previous season with the Phillies. So, the bat was most likely his own.

TNTtoys
07-09-2010, 12:01 PM
while browsing on eBay I happened upon this photo. Style match

How does this constitute a style match? The photo shows Hebner wearing a white home pinstripe jersey, and the ebay item in question is a gray road.

Or, conceivably, Hebner was initially issued #18 and quickly made a number change to 3? I dunno.

Hebner would not have been issued #18 and changed numbers to 3. Joel Youngblood wore #18 with the Mets without interruption from 1977 to 1982. Hebner joined the team for 1 year only; 1979.

I personally wouldn't read too much into the photo. Hebner wore #18 in Philadelphia in 1978. I would tend to believe he was just holding one of his previous season's bats.

At any rate, I am planning to present Richie with clear photos from the auction tonight and will see if he can shed any light on it after 31 years......

In all honesty, I am very curious to hear what he says. Please post a follow-up...thank you!

Nick

eisenreich8
07-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Nick,

With the crappy resolution of both my home and work monitors, I failed to notice that the eBay front and back pics were even of a gray road.....they looked so light to my eyes in the photos I took them for home white, not even reading the description till now. (Strike 1).

Then, I only went to baseball-reference AFTER I made the first two posts today.....then I pulled the plug on my conjecture(s). That is why I try not to do this stuff at work when I'm rushed (Strike 2).

Don't ever depend on me to do any important research. As you can see, I am Mr Magoo with the computer. :)

Thinking "style match" would have only been appropriate with a white vs. white jersey, they both read METS on the front and are pull-over styles with short little plackets.

I am best suited to Red Sox uniform history. The only thing I know about the Mets is that most people who like them do NOT like the Yankees.

I'll report back tomorrow if I can get the info you seek.

Joe

Metsfan808
07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
If you look at the background in the eBay photo, it was taken at Wrigley Field. Hebner is wearing a road grey jersey in that picture. That picture is overexposed and it looks white, but it is the road grey.

TNTtoys
07-09-2010, 01:05 PM
All,

Check this out. A photo from 1979 -- clearly showing the back of HEBNER and YOUNGBLOOD. Notice the large nameplate on the Youngblood & the short nameplate on the HEBNER.

Nick

eisenreich8
07-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Alright, we just got home from the Bulls/Tides game, had to leave in top 7 as our son's diabetes acted up and we cut out early, with a Bulls 6-0 lead.

A little fluff first: My wife's company has a suite at the DBAP. We got there at 6 and the gates opened right up. Walked right in with wife, 2 teenage sons, and a gym bag. No one ever checked my bag. In it were 2 Hebner Frederick Keys GW mgrs. jerseys from last season, a Gathright Cubs blue alt. jersey also from '09 (I LOVE this jersey) and a few player cards.

Checked in at the suite, saw that players were starting to appear for warmup and made the long trip down to the visitors' dugout where I waited with 2 adult auto hounds and 3-4 kids at the corner of the dugout. I was pulling the cap off my silver paint pen for Gathright to sign the Cubs jersey and the friggin' guts of the pen came out and I got silver paint on the back of the jersey and on the #4 as well. I was pissed and deflated. I handed Joey the jersey anyway and he said "Now those were the good times" and I just had him hand it back to me. I told him I'd get the paint out and catch him next time. He signed two cards for me and then appeared Richie.

He did not recognize me as we have not met up for 8-9 years and I don't think he expected me to have moved from Norwood MA where we were neighbors for many years to central NC. We caught up quickly, he signed the two jerseys (after he asked me vociferously "where did you get those?!) and a giclee, and then I pulled out the printouts I made of the Mets jersey.......

Oh boy. He didn't need .30 seconds to fly off the stick with every sort of expletive and cuss word any of us have ever heard. I explained that it was sold on eBay last night and what he told me, right there at the corner of the visitors' dugout at Durham Bulls Athletic Park (actually Goodmon Field) is certainly not fit to print here. If you care to get a fairly accurate account of what he said, email me at 04redsox@bellsouth.net.

The Yuengling was cold and the girls were purty. I can say with no exaggeration that it was freakin' hot, steamy and tropical at the park.

My sons got into the game just fine and ate their fill, but they didn't want to join me at the dugout but that's cool.

Back to the topic though.......Richie saw the pics and said no, no, no.