PDA

View Full Version : Lelands auction items questions - Pujols/Magic jerseys

nickacs
07-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Can anyone lend a hand with some of these "authenticating"/LOA companies regarding the respective auction lot jerseys?

1: Lot 217: 2005 Albert Pujols Game Used St. Louis Cardinals Jersey

"This is a gray button-front St. Louis Cardinals road jersey worn by superstar slugger Albert Pujols during the 2005 baseball season. The jersey features the Cardinals' logo across the front, Pujol's nameplate sewn on the back, and his number 5 on both the front and back. There is a Busch Stadium Final Season patch on the left sleeve. A Majestic label is sewn on the front left tail above a size 50 hang tag; there is a 0062 wash tag inside the left seam. The jersey shows moderate use and comes with an Authentic Gamers LOA."

2: Lot 947: 1980s Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers Game Used Jersey
"With Earvin "Magic" Johnson on the roster, the Los Angeles Lakers won five NBA titles and provided their fans with countless happy hoops memories. This Lakers road jersey was worn by basketball legend Magic Johnson circa 1985-86. It has been linked to that period because the numbers on it lack the white indentations at the tops of the "3" and "2" that were found on earlier Lakers jerseys of that decade. The yellow jersey has purple and white trim on the collar and shoulder yokes. Johnson's name is stitched on the back above his number 32, which also appears on the front center below the team name. There is a "Tiernan Glendale, Calif." label sewn on the middle of the front tail. This is a quality game-worn collectible from one of basketball's most memorable players. Comes with LOA."

I emailed about the LOA and here's what they say it is/says:
"The LOA is from www.100percentauthentic.com (http://www.100percentauthentic.com/)
It says "100% Authentic Memorabilia Authentication Services", and has been signed by a member of their team.

The info on the LOA about the jersey reads,

"Magic Johnson was the perfect candidate to run Showtime. His vast array of passes, his passion for the game, and overall excitement humor glitzy Los Angeles to a tee. When Magic called Los Angeles home, the Lakes won five NBA titles and provided countless memories for hoops fanatics. This road jersey was worn by Magic circa 1985-86. This may be linked to that period because the jersey doesn't have the white indentations at the top of the "3" and "2". (By the mid '80's, that style had been abandoned). The numerals are crafted in two-color drop-shadow tackle twill. This was a staple in Lakers games for decades. White/purple/white braiding surrounds the collar and shoulder yokes. "JOHNSON" is arched above the verso numerals. A Tiernan (Glendale) Calif. manufacturer's label is sewn into the middle of the tail. Overall, a quality representation from one of the NBA's most electrifying personalities"."

Never heard of 100% Authentic??? :cool:

earlywynnfan
07-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Isn't the 100% authentic team American Memorabilia?

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

nickacs
07-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Isn't the 100% authentic team American Memorabilia?

Ooofa... That's a complete and 100% turn-off for me to bid on that Magic jersey then. These Tiernan ones are hard to authenticate "legit" ones because there's just not that much on the jerseys to compare/photomatch with. Plus I remember a fellow GUU member saying that these Tiernan jerseys should be very, very used vs. nice a crisp ones that have been in other auction houses over the last 2yrs.

Has anyone dealt with Rob Steinmetz (aka Authentic Gamers) with regards to game-worn jerseys? I'd like to someday get a nice gamer of Pujols, but over the last couple years there's been sooooo many fake ones in auction houses/Ebay, it's pathetic.

Thanks everyone!

sox83cubs84
07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Rob is among the best in the hobby. He has a connection with Pujols, and, except (maybe) for Jeff Scott, is the best name to be connected to an Albert Pujols game used item.

Dave Miedema

jetersbatboy
07-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Can anyone lend a hand with some of these "authenticating"/LOA companies regarding the respective auction lot jerseys?

1: Lot 217: 2005 Albert Pujols Game Used St. Louis Cardinals Jersey

"This is a gray button-front St. Louis Cardinals road jersey worn by superstar slugger Albert Pujols during the 2005 baseball season. The jersey features the Cardinals' logo across the front, Pujol's nameplate sewn on the back, and his number 5 on both the front and back. There is a Busch Stadium Final Season patch on the left sleeve. A Majestic label is sewn on the front left tail above a size 50 hang tag; there is a 0062 wash tag inside the left seam. The jersey shows moderate use and comes with an Authentic Gamers LOA."

http://www.authenticgamers.com/

ChrisCavalier
07-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Rob is among the best in the hobby. He has a connection with Pujols, and, except (maybe) for Jeff Scott, is the best name to be connected to an Albert Pujols game used item.

Dave Miedema
Agreed.

-Chris

nickacs
07-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments/info! Yea, I remember Rob on here a year or two ago, right? Not sure if he's still a member or not. I figured his stuff would be ok, but just throwing it out there. I've been burned too many times in just the last year/half alone on auction house jerseys turning out to be fakes so I'm just a little over cautious with any LOA's these days that I am not familiar with.

Thanks again!

rj_lucas
07-06-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't disagree that Rob is one of the most knowledgeable sources around where Pujols equipment is concerned, but I will point out that this Pujols jersey features an athletic cut as opposed to a straight hem, which is not consistent with Pujols' game worn jerseys post-2001. By way of comparison, note the hem on the 2005 road jersey in the picture below. As Jeff Scott has said before, as a general rule concerning Pujols' shirts, "if it has tails, it fails".

I would be curious to see if the LOA states specifically that this jersey was game worn, rather than an extra jersey issued for the purpose of being given away or auctioned for charity. Either way, it's a desirable piece. But, of course, there would be a difference in value.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

nickacs
07-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I asked for a copy of the LOA and here it is... Hmm, it says game worn??

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3305/pujols.jpg

nickacs
07-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Actually I take that back, it just says "worn" during the 2005 season.. not specifically "game worn".. Arrgg...Sounds 50/50 to me maybe?

rj_lucas
07-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Actually I take that back, it just says "worn" during the 2005 season.. not specifically "game worn".. Arrgg...Sounds 50/50 to me maybe?

The item description says game worn though. If it were me, I would contact Rob through his website to get his input.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

David
07-07-2010, 03:01 AM
Pujols himself endorses Steinmetz as an expert, in that his charity website posts Steinmetz' guide to authenticating Pujols gu jerseys.

nickacs
07-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Yea, I did contact Rob and he mentioned that if Pujols knows he is going to give a jersey to charity/auction, he may not always do his tail customization.
He also noted that he contacted Lelands because the LOA does not have his signature nor his regular color letterhead (of course can't tell that via scanned copy). But he did confirm the jersey was purchased from him by a customer years ago.

I think I'm going to pass bidding and wait someday for a "normal" game-used one with the usual post-2001 tail customization that everyone looks for in his jerseys.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the auction one, but I'd rather have a "better" one down the road.

Thanks all for the info on the Pujols jersey!

Seems like the Magic is very, very iffy with this "100% Authentication" group, so going to pass on that one too.