PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Kauffman Stadium

Jayworld
07-05-2010, 09:29 PM
I'll be in Kansas City for the first time later this month; any help on "good things" to do or see while taking in a Royals game?

Thanks.

slambam
07-06-2010, 12:25 AM
When they renovated Kauffman Stadium a few years ago, they added a Hall of Fame. I haven't been to it, but I hear it's really nice.

CampWest
07-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I'll be in Kansas City for the first time later this month; any help on "good things" to do or see while taking in a Royals game?

Thanks.

They recently renovated the stadium. It's a top notch ball park to catch a game. I would recommend getting either a really expensive seat in the crown suite, which sits on field level behind home plate OR getting a really cheap seat in the outfield. If there is not a sell out, I always enjoy getting the cheapest admission at a ball park and wandering around the stadium and catching an inning or two from as many angles as possible.

The renovations expanded the OF area quite a bit, you can stand under the fountains in Right Field. Go behind the scoreboard, etc. There is a sports bar, Rivals, in right field behind the fountains.

The Royals Hall of Fame is pretty cool, but remember its the Royals and they've only been around since 1969 - there are no Lou Gehrigs or Ted Williamses. They do have one of the most incredible George Brett bats, his 3000th hit bat. Attached to the Royals Museum is a small gift shop that sells some game used bats and balls, generally a dozen bats or so and typically backup players and minor league prospects. Also adjacent to the museum is Strouds, a local icon restaurant, their restaurant has the best fried chicken you can find, but I have not eaten at their stadium restaurant.

Local brewer, Boulevard is stationed around the ball park. Drink local!

There is a BBQ spot as well, its good, but I would say try to get to a real BBQ joint while in town. There is a kids section way back in the OF, in a rare stroke of genius though, it is pretty well hidden and my daughter doesn't even know there is a carousel back there. If she did, I would never see the game.

Also for pregame activity you might check, I think they're closed until August though with their own renovations, on tours of Arrowhead Stadium - press box, locker room, on field, etc. There is also an early-bird tour of Kauffman, its not the full tour you get on non-game days, but its a 1hr tour that gets you in before the gates open - basically just BP and a guided tour of the museum.

The main downside of the location of the stadiums is there are no shops or bars to walk to, but tailgating is welcomed and encouraged.

Kauffman Stadium is a a gorgeous stadium. Wherever you go or choose to sit, you should be able to find a nice view of the game.

CampWest
07-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Also behind the fountains in Right Center Field are the statues for the 3 retired # Royals, George Brett, Frank White and Dick Howser.

CampWest
07-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Also, the Royals HOF Museum is about to be getting a bit better, after the All Star break they're opening a new on loan from Cooperstown exhibit.

++++++++++++++++++++
Baseball has a rich history earning its designation as America's National Pastime. No place on earth celebrates or is more synonymous with the game than the village of Cooperstown, New York - home of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. Now a small portion of that Cooperstown heritage has come to Kansas City.
Open now with the completed space available beginning Friday July 16, 2010, on its one year anniversary, the Royals Hall of Fame is proud to unveil a new group of exhibits highlighted by 'Cooperstown Corner' located inside the Royals Hall of Fame building. 'Cooperstown Corner' includes artifacts from the National Baseball Hall of Fame's permanent collection loaned to us here in Kansas City. As we celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Royals 1985 World Championship, Cooperstown has put together a unique group of items from World Series play dating all the way back to the first fall classic in 1903.
The mission of the National Baseball Hall of Fame is to foster an appreciation of the historical development of Baseball and its impact on our national culture by collecting, preserving, exhibiting and interpreting its collections for a global audience, as well as honoring those who have made outstanding contributions to the game. The Royals Hall of Fame is proud to a strong partner is that effort here in Kansas City.
See the National Baseball Hall of Fame salute to the World Series - including the baseball used to start the very first Fall Classic in 1903
· Artifacts from 100 plus years from baseball's showcase event
Learn Cooperstown's strong Kansas City Connection - the 46 Hall of Famers who have been part of Kansas City's teams
· Everyone knows about George Brett, but he is just one of many with Manager Whitey Herzog about to join them all
Trace the history of the bat, glove and the baseball itself
· This hands on exhibit will give you a feel for baseball history
Plus more club history including the unique story of three Father & Son Royals - the McRaes, Wathans and Bannisters
Open seven days a week and for every Royals game - stop by and see it all at the Royals Hall of Fame!

ndevlin
07-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Wes did a good job summing it up. Kauffman is a great stadium.

Jayworld
07-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all the great input; helps a great deal. Last question: can you walk up the day of the game and purchase tickets? I've seen online that there is a $10 surcharge in addition to the cost of the tickets.

Thanks again.

ndevlin
07-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Yep. I've never purchased my tickets online. I usually went up there a few hrs before the game to get my tickets. Most of the time I got the cheap seats and sat on the lower level. I've done that for years.

But yes, you can purchase tickets there the day of game.

CampWest
07-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Generally. As long as its not against Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs you should not have a problem. Fridays also get pretty full. Those are "Buck Nights" - hot dogs and sodas are a dollar - and there are fireworks after the game. Might be prepared for a long ticket line on Fridays. Tuesdays are free tshirt nights and those can get a little long too.

Usually I do not buy tickets from the Royals. 99% of the games I've been to the last 10+ years - I wait on the corner for people with extra tickets. Most of the time its a season ticket holder with 4 tickets and only two people and they just want to get rid of the tickets without too much hassle. I generally get really good seats for next to nothing, especially on mid-week and Sunday games. I've sat 5 rows up behind home plate for $10 a ticket a couple dozen times - I've never had to pay full price or more than face.

Jayworld
07-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Well, now back from vacation, I can honestly say that the experience at Kauffman was wonderful. We attended the Sunday, July 19th game, and they issued bats to kids under 14, so both my sons got a bat. When was the last time you actually got a bat at a stadium? I know that they did away with those promotions in Texas at Ranger games many years ago. It was hot, and the kids were tired after 7 innings, but we did visit the Royals Hall of Fame in left field and walked around the stadium. Everything was top-notch, including the ushers and stadium personnel. Everyone was very nice. Food prices were okay to average, and the cost of game-used equipment was $30 to $75 for MLB balls and $100 for Royals player game-used bats. Great sight lines in the stadium (we sat upper deck just right of homeplate), and the fireworks prior to the game and the waterfall show was excellent.

I've been to five MLB stadiums in my lifetime; Arlington Stadium, Ballpark in Arlington, Astrodome, Jack Murphy Stadium, and now Kauffman, and Kauffman is the best of those by far. Here in Texas, the Ranger ushers are not as accomodating or friendly, and that is from years of experience.

Highly recommend a visit for those that have never been.