PDA

View Full Version : Phillies MLB Authenticated issues: GU vs game issued

Rickphils1
06-28-2010, 05:07 PM
The Phillies have had problems with MLB authenticated descriptions vs. what the Phillies state about the use of the item. For example, the Phillies auctioned off home plate from the 2008 World Series championship game and had it authenticated by MLB. The hologram stated that it was "game issued." I talked with the Phillies head of merchandise who was there when the plate was dug up but the sticker was placed by MLB later. The buyer was understandably upset since the item brought a big price.

I bought a Ryan Howard jersey at one of the Phillies silent auctions this year that was listed as "game used." The wash tag had wear on it indicating and there were some loose threads in the number indicating at least probable use. A couple of months after the auction, the MLB authentic hologram appeared on the web site. The jersey was listed by MLB as "game issued, back up #2). On the MLB site it specifically states in the FAQ's:
Q: I have an item that is listed as Team Issued, what does this mean?
A: Team Issued is a designation by an independent third party authenticator who attests that the item was issued by the Club to its clubhouse. This designation is not intended to determine use of the item in any capacity.

I have two options. The Phillies will write me a letter indicating that the jersey was game used. However, MLB authenticated sets itself up as the gold standard for authenticity. Alternatitively, I can return the jersey for a full refund.

I would welcome opinions of what figures to be a potential problem now that MLB authenticated is taking over game jerseys but can only document it as game used if their representative observes it taken off in the clubhouse. Keep it or return it. Thanks

Fnazxc0114
06-28-2010, 05:16 PM
if the authenticator didnt see the item dug up they issue the holo as issued. I have started verifying mlb holo's at the ball park prior to purchasing. I know it doesnt help in your case but it might be something to do in the future.

gingi79
06-28-2010, 05:17 PM
I had a similar issue with the Braves. I sent mine back in exchange for another one that was listed correctly in the database.

MLB Holograms are truly hit or miss. Unless the guy is there and sees it come off the players back, it is relegated to GI. Somehow, they run a game used program and don't employ 20 people (one guy for each game could do both teams) to avoid these issues.

Of course Barry Miesel runs a multimillion dollar company and doesn't have these issues with his items but I digress. Perhaps hockey jerseys have mystical powers and Barry, using bat blood and eye of newt, can determine the authenticity of these evil jerseys. He is a powerful wizard after all, Harry Potter ain't got nutin on him!

/dripping obnoxious sarcasm.

April 10, 1962
06-29-2010, 11:34 AM
The process is pretty simple. The team needs to communicate to the MLB Authenticator what needs they have for a given game. Then that authenticator can follow the club representative and witness the moment of acquisition. It just takes planning on the club's part to make sure the proper authentication is made. MLB is very strict on the game used vs. team issued scenario. The Authenticator checks in with each team before the game to see if any players have authentication needs. They also carry a list of upcoming milestones, but it is up to the club to communicate.

yankees24
06-29-2010, 11:38 AM
has anyone ever had a situation where an item was labeled game used worn while it was actually team issued/game ready?

Rickphils1
06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I think that the team can get an item authenticated by bringing the rep into the locker room, etc but that isn't the question I am asking in this thread.

Again, MLB authentication states that they do not necessarily determine the use of a jersey if they don't authenticate it on the spot. When they authenticate a jersey in the locker room as game issue, it may or may not be used. My question: is an MLB authentication hologram stating it was game issued by getting it in the locker room plus a team letter stating that it was in fact used good enough to certify a jersey as game used or does the hologram negate a separate team letter calling it game used?

skyliner59
06-30-2010, 09:15 AM
This is a good question. As MLB has deemed themselves be all end all in regards to authentication of game used memorabilia, it seems there a lot of flaws in their system. I own a pair of "game used" Chase Utley cleats that show great wear. I purchased these directly from a Phillies Charities auction at their facility. The Phillies have no problem issuing me an LOA for these cleats, but when I enter the MLB Hologram ID into the system it simply states team issued cleats and they don't even mention Chase Utley. The Phillies are 100% positive they were worn by Utley and will issue the LOA without a second thought.
Due to the conflicting nature of both authentications does this devalue the cleats or would this forum accept a team LOA as sufficient and turn the other cheek to what MLB states?

Look foward to other members responses.

Bob

Chris78
06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
At the Arizona Fall League Pat Tillman charity fundraiser last year, all or almost all MLB teams donated some items and most were autographed (non-game used) items. The Phillies and D-Backs were the only teams that had game used items -- Phillies had a Ryan Howard Home game used jersey with Team LOA and MLB Hologram and also a Shane Victorino game used Alternate jersey with Team LOA and MLB Hologram (by the way D-Backs had a game used autographed bat). I won both of these jerseys. I entered these into the MLB database and if I remember correctly they said team issued backup jersey for both of them. The letter stated game used (which they are) but the MLB database said team issued backup. I consider both jerseys as game used jerseys with the Team LOA. If this makes any sense to you, it could be something with the Phillies.

FYI,

Chris

Chris78
06-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Also, these jerseys would be from 2009.

Chris

At the Arizona Fall League Pat Tillman charity fundraiser last year, all or almost all MLB teams donated some items and most were autographed (non-game used) items. The Phillies and D-Backs were the only teams that had game used items -- Phillies had a Ryan Howard Home game used jersey with Team LOA and MLB Hologram and also a Shane Victorino game used Alternate jersey with Team LOA and MLB Hologram (by the way D-Backs had a game used autographed bat). I won both of these jerseys. I entered these into the MLB database and if I remember correctly they said team issued backup jersey for both of them. The letter stated game used (which they are) but the MLB database said team issued backup. I consider both jerseys as game used jerseys with the Team LOA. If this makes any sense to you, it could be something with the Phillies.

FYI,

Chris