PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on auction description vs. photos

mbenga28
06-25-2010, 03:55 PM
have any of you experienced winning an auction where the description of the item did not match the photos, for example there is a listing with the description of a game used tan glove but the photos show a game used black glove. the seller sends you the tan glove, but you want the black glove as shown in the photos. can you challenge the seller, or would you not have a case since the seller did send you what was indicated in the description, being the tan glove? the listing also does not state that the photos are reference photos. thanks for the input.

flota89
06-25-2010, 04:11 PM
have any of you experienced winning an auction where the description of the item did not match the photos, for example there is a listing with the description of a game used tan glove but the photos show a game used black glove. the seller sends you the tan glove, but you want the black glove as shown in the photos. can you challenge the seller, or would you not have a case since the seller did send you what was indicated in the description, being the tan glove? the listing also does not state that the photos are reference photos. thanks for the input.
I don't know what ebay says about this, but I would ask which glove you are really getting before buying. Either way though, I would challenge the seller. Just ask him for a refund, or to send the black glove instead.

But on the topic of photos, it sure does make a huge difference to me when someone has really good photos of an item. If there is an item I really want, but the photos are horrible (blurry, not many, dark), I really think twice about getting it.

I hope you get your situation figured out.

Lokee
06-25-2010, 05:51 PM
I would complain and say you sent me the wrong item and return it for a full refund. To me that is classic bait and switch.

costas
06-25-2010, 06:46 PM
why should the photos have more weight than the description? he did send you what was described in the auction with the tan glove, correct? it's your fault you didn't read the entire description and asked questions prior to bidding.

spartakid
06-25-2010, 06:55 PM
I would have asked first. But since it already happened, I'd agree, Ask him for either the black glove, or your money back.

joelsabi
06-25-2010, 07:24 PM
mistake happen on listings so always try to match the item description with the photo. i generally ask and tell seller of any incongruance. this happens a lot with people who use the ebay software to upload multiple listings all at once.

on complaints, it mentioned not matching the seller's decription as a valid reason. it does not mention not matching the photo so i do not know how technical ebay gets when judging disputes. hopefully the seller has good feedback and you can contact them and resolve the problem in a reasonable manner. i would hate to purchase a black arod bat and receive a blonde arod bat.

Tedw9
06-25-2010, 09:47 PM
I can see this becoming a real problem, especially with the collectibles market. Ebay now has "stock" photos sellers can use. And if you post an auction with a picture and have not opted out of the program, Ebay can keep and use your photo. So Joe Schmuck can use your photo, which is now an Ebay stock photo, in his auction. My guess is that Ebay would side with the seller in a situation like this.

I can see this being a bigger issue with the sports card market. Anyone who collects cards knows that all graded cards, despite the numerical grade, do not have the same eye appeal. That is to say, not all 8's or 9's are created equal. But the way Ebay is set up now, a seller can use Ebays stock 1959 Mickey Mantle PSA 8, but the one pictured will probably not be the one you get. So the one you saw in the auction is dead centered, but the one you get may be off center.

Will that same trap be set with the game used market? I guess time will tell. If I bid on a pounded David Ortiz bat and get one that has seen light use, I would not be impressed. But I think Ebay would say you got a game used bat and that is what you bid on, the picture is there just to give you an idea of what it looks like.

This seems like a very dangerous situation for buyers, one that could cause a ton of issues.