PDA

View Full Version : Help with a strange mark on a pink mothers day bat.

Ozric
06-24-2010, 07:53 AM
This might have already been addressed, but I can't seem to find any info on it. I just picked up a game used pink mothers day bat from mlb auctions and it has a perfect one inch by one inch square on the handle that shows the natural wood color with a black marker dot in the middle of it. The pink is simply gone and you can see the natural wood color. It has not been shaved or sanded as the natural wood spot is finished, just not painted pink. Anyone else have a bat with a mark on it like this?

Thanks,

Tim

flota89
06-24-2010, 08:01 AM
All the black bats have it too. Don't worry, it is normal for the maple bats this year.

Ozric
06-24-2010, 08:12 AM
All the black bats have it too. Don't worry, it is normal for the maple bats this year.

Thanks for the help Tyler, much appreciated. Were they all marked in the event they would break, so they could be collected for another study again?

tigerdale
06-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Thats where they are checked....last season the maples had to be natural or two tone (natural on bottom)..this year they can be a solid color but need that square left natural for checking purposes.

Ozric
06-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Thats where they are checked....last season the maples had to be natural or two tone (natural on bottom)..this year they can be a solid color but need that square left natural for checking purposes.

Thanks for the help Dale. That is exactly what I needed to know.

Tim

Tim+Jeff
06-24-2010, 05:01 PM
From what i have heard. the circles with dots in them and squares on bats are part of a new study so that bats dont break as easily as they used to. This is the knowledge about it so far.

BradleyERyon
06-24-2010, 05:15 PM
This is a good video for explaining the reason for the ink dot. Click on the video and the part about the ink slope test starts at about the 2:07 part of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dapr-FDqPzU

skier14
06-24-2010, 05:19 PM
From what i have heard. the circles with dots in them and squares on bats are part of a new study so that bats dont break as easily as they used to. This is the knowledge about it so far.

It is not a study; it is a test itself. This is part of the slope of grain test. The dot is used to "measure" the slope of grain for the bat to be able to be used in games or not. If it does not pass then the bat can still be used in BP.

-Dustin

Ozric
06-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Really interesting stuff, especially in that video. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Tim