PDA

View Full Version : Happy Father's Day and BP Baseballs...

xpress34
06-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Went to watch the Rox and Brew Crew at Coors Field today with the wife and kid...

We went early to go behind home plate for autograph Sunday (I'm a disabled vet, so I get wheelchair companion seats which gets access behind home plate on autograph Sundays) and I got the following done (with help from the wife and kid):

Manuel Corpas - three times
Jeff Francis (and got one of his Father's Day wrist bands!) GU
Carlos Gonzalez - twice (he did say the Spring Training GU bat I brought down looked like his, but the 31 in the 'cup' means he probably gave it to someone else to use at Spring Training - it has his 5 and is dated 2/2/10 on the knob)
Miguel Olivo - three times
Ubaldo Jimenez- twice
Korey Hart
Rickie Weeks
Willie Randolph

and a great photo with Tommy LaSorda!!! He was at Coors Field for the cure cancer benefit...

I also got a BP ball that went off the pitcher's screen and came right back to me (Brew Crew was still taking BP when we down on the field).

The ball says 'BODY GLOVE' in blue sharpie on the sweet spot. A friend's kid got a ball thrown to him from Trevor Hoffman that said 'Hoff & Coff' on Black Sharpie on the sweet spot.

Other friends got bals that said, 'Nice Catch', 'Happy Father's Day', 'Way to Go', etc...

Just wondering if this is normal for Brewers BP balls or if it is a way to keep BP balls from showing up later listed as GU balls?

All the best and Happy Father's Day!!!

- Chris

kylehess10
06-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Nice......I got 4 BP balls at the Braves/Royals game today and none had any writing on them for Fathers Day. Those seem really interesting though. Haven't seen writing like that yet.

xpress34
06-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Nice......I got 4 BP balls at the Braves/Royals game today and none had any writing on them for Fathers Day. Those seem really interesting though. Haven't seen writing like that yet.

Kyle -

What made it even more interesting is that MANY of the BP balls had the TWINS 2010 Inaugural Season Logo for their new stadium on them!!! The one I got didn't - not a BP ball either, a regular MLB ball

Wonder if the Rox picked them up while in Minn for inter league play! Brew Crew sees Minnesota next...

- Chris

kylehess10
06-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Kyle -

What made it even more interesting is that MANY of the BP balls had the TWINS 2010 Inaugural Season Logo for their new stadium on them!!! The one I got didn't - not a BP ball either, a regular MLB ball

Wonder if the Rox picked them up while in Minn for inter league play! Brew Crew sees Minnesota next...

- Chris

It can be common for a lot of teams. You'll find All Star Game baseballs, World Series baseballs, Opening Day baseballs, inaugural season baseballs, etc.

I've gotten about 30 baseballs in BP in the past 5 or 6 games and none are like that though. I guess it's only certain teams that use them.

Instanton
06-21-2010, 02:53 AM
Chris,

How have you been? Great IP session, from what I'm reading.

I stumbled upon your bucket Holliday collection, to see if you were the one that snagged the Holliday Letterman 'L' 1/1. I see the "scanning in a one-touch" is catching on? You are very welcome. ;)

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/Junior-17/Matt%20Holliday/

Take care, Chris,
Jose

nomarmauerfan
06-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Chris,
I believe it's Wille Randolph that writes all of those messages on the balls. He pointed to my son last year during Brewers BP (at the Metrodome). He took out a sharpie and wrote, "Be Good" on the ball and threw it to him. Congrats on a very successful day!!!

Mike

sox83cubs84
06-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Kyle -

- Chris

Chris:

Last season I got five baseballs with the 2009 Twins Metrodome logo. Four were BP and 1 was game (given to me by a White Sox coach after they returned from a series there).

Three of the BP baseballs were on the same night in Indians BP (they had come to Chicago from Minneapolis), but the 4th was a few weeks later, from a Rays BP.

I mentioned my Twins BP baseballs to a buddy on Waveland Avenue the next Cubs homestand. Turns out that, to his knowledge, nobody out there got one from the Twins BP sessions at Wrigley Field, and then he went a little overboard, declaring that "until I see one myself, I don't believe they exist!" He was less demonstrative when I showed him one a few days later.:D :D

Dave M.
Chicago area

ironmanfan
06-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Chris:

Last season I got five baseballs with the 2009 Twins Metrodome logo. Four were BP and 1 was game (given to me by a White Sox coach after they returned from a series there).

Three of the BP baseballs were on the same night in Indians BP (they had come to Chicago from Minneapolis), but the 4th was a few weeks later, from a Rays BP.

I mentioned my Twins BP baseballs to a buddy on Waveland Avenue the next Cubs homestand. Turns out that, to his knowledge, nobody out there got one from the Twins BP sessions at Wrigley Field, and then he went a little overboard, declaring that "until I see one myself, I don't believe they exist!" He was less demonstrative when I showed him one a few days later.:D :D

Dave M.
Chicago area

They exist all right!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/DSC01235.jpg

xpress34
06-21-2010, 06:02 PM
I see the "scanning in a one-touch" is catching on? You are very welcome.

Jose -

Thank you? :confused: I've been putting my cards in one touch magnetics for almost 4 years now and always scan in the case.

As far as the 1/1 Holliday 'L' - I haven't bid on any Holliday cards in some time, but I will probably be moving a few of mine soon as I concentrate more on GU items.

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
06-21-2010, 06:19 PM
It can be common for a lot of teams. You'll find All Star Game baseballs, World Series baseballs, Opening Day baseballs, inaugural season baseballs, etc.

I've gotten about 30 baseballs in BP in the past 5 or 6 games and none are like that though. I guess it's only certain teams that use them.

Kyle -

I'm very aware of that - especially at Coors Field the All-Star balls are common after the ASG each year. And there is a reason for that...

The main buyer for Aramark is based at Coors Field and the Denver Dry Goods Store at Coors Field is the clearing house for left over ASG stuff each year. Usually within a month of the ASG ending, we will get left over jerseys, hats, baseballs etc and the Rockies get a large portion of the unused ASG balls for BP.

All the best -

Chris

Instanton
06-22-2010, 01:34 AM
Jose -

Thank you? :confused: I've been putting my cards in one touch magnetics for almost 4 years now and always scan in the case.

As far as the 1/1 Holliday 'L' - I haven't bid on any Holliday cards in some time, but I will probably be moving a few of mine soon as I concentrate more on GU items.

All the best -

Chris

Chris,
I jest, I jest. :p

Funny, I'm leaning more towards the card industry, and getting away from GU. Rockies Rookie Cards, to be exact.
Let me know if any of those Hollidays will be visiting the bay. So that I may try to snag a few up.

Take care,
Jose