PDA

View Full Version : Question about MLB "Team Issued" Authentication

soxbats
06-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Hi, I am contemplating a possible purchase of an MLB authenticated Red Sox jersey, but when I check the MLB website it identifies the jersey as "team issued." The seller claims that all jerseys that are not taken off the players backs are designated as "team issued". what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

soxbats@aol.com
Looking for the following obscure red sox bats: Alvarado, Luis; Boone, Ray; Coughtry, Marlan; Fanzone, Carmen; Goggin, Chuck; Heise, Bobby; Jackson, Ron; Keough, Marty; Mantilla, Felix; Mejias, Roman; O'Brien, Syd; Poulsen, Ken; Smith, George; Tasby, Willie; Thomson, Bobby; Webster, Ray

Birdbats
06-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Authenticators will only "bless" an item as game used if he/she sees it being used. If they come in once a month and are presented with a load of used bats, jerseys, balls and bases, they will call them "issued" because they didn't witness the use. Doesn't mean the items aren't used, but that the authenticator didn't see them used.

Tedw9
06-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I think what the seller is telling you is something I have also read here on the board. I believe that if the authenticator does not see it coming directly off a player or directly out of a game, it has to be tagged team issue.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

dcgreg25
06-20-2010, 06:29 PM
I think what the seller is telling you is something I have also read here on the board. I believe that if the authenticator does not see it coming directly off a player or directly out of a game, it has to be tagged team issue.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

That is my understanding. However, some teams sell game issued unused jerseys. If the hologram says GI, it may be GU but not necessarily.