PDA

View Full Version : Tradin' in the good ole days?

gingi79
06-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Awhile back, I had a post deleted when I suggested possibly trading for some new stuff in the C to C. I did this, like an idiot, without reading the site's usage policy. Chris was very gracious about it. He emailed me and cordially reminded me that it was against the rules and that the post was deleted. I was impressed with how he handled it.

So if you clicked on this post wondering if I was offering things for trade, I am sorry to disappoint. This post is more to garner responses from old time collectors. I am told by some of the forefathers of our hobby like Milt Byron and Murf Denny that the acquisition of game worn jerseys was once done nearly exclusively via trading. (BTW, given the opportunity to speak with either of these gentlemen, take it. You will NOT be disappointed and he odds are you will learn something)

So, tell me your best trader stories. Regrets, steals, things sounded great at the time but now you feel cheated?

Mine was as such: I traded my Orca Photomatched Vancouver Canucks Pavel Bure and my photomatched Manitoba Moose Alex Burrows to a collector in Vancouver for cash (which was used to purchase my Skate Logo Vancouver Canucks Bure.) He in turn traded a Mattius Ohlund Vintage Canucks sweater to a collector in Denmark who sent me a Sami Salo Vintage Vancouver Canucks jersey. 3 countries, 4 collectors, 5 jerseys and EVERYONE got what they wanted.

Given the opportunity, I would purchase back my Orca Bure but the new one is my White Whale. Excellent example of giving up something you like for something you love.

So, tell me yours?

chicagoglen
06-19-2010, 07:40 PM
So we are not allowed to trade here?

If that is true, why?

I would think that is just a natural part of our hobbie.

ChrisCavalier
06-19-2010, 08:00 PM
So we are not allowed to trade here?

If that is true, why?

I would think that is just a natural part of our hobbie.
You may use the Collector to Collector Classifieds section to offer items for sale as per the rules of that section.

Hope that helps.

sox83cubs84
06-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Late 1970s, the old Troy, Michigan summer show. I had a local collector (still active, I think...not Larry P.) whose response to a trade proposal from me was "I can't make a trade unless I come out ahead":eek: I guess this guy expected people to allow themselves to be gypped in order for him to be one-up.

Dave M.
Chicago area

RRexpressfan94
06-20-2010, 03:08 AM
You may use the Collector to Collector Classifieds section to offer items for sale as per the rules of that section.

Hope that helps.

i think he was asking WHY we are not allowed to trade. i am curious as well.

cohibasmoker
06-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Ah yes - Murf Denny. I remember Murf and other dealers at the old Willow Grove shows in the 1980's. The shows were held inside a large Convention Center with an adjacent motel and parking lot. There were as many deals/trades made inside the rooms and outside out of trunks of cars as were made inside the Convention Center. I remember one year an enterprising person set-up a hot dog cart because of the activity outside of the show.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

chicagoglen
06-20-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't see anywhere in the below statement that states trading is prohibited.

Also, it seems like the statement contradicts itself as well. It states that Game Used Universe will not moderate the forum but it will suspend you if you break the rules. :rolleyes:

Participation in GUU Collector to Collector Classifieds forum is subject to the agreement of the following:

This forum is intended for collectors to sell among themselves. It is not intended for dealers, businesses or professional teams looking to sell their merchandise but simply a collector forum. In this forum, Game Used Universe will have no involvement in the evaluations of items or the transactions whatsoever nor will Game Used Universe moderate this forum. If there are any problems with transactions they will need to be resolved independent of Game Used Universe. To prevent any major problems from occurring, the sale price limit for items in this classified section is $500. If any of these rules are broken the poster will be suspended immediately without prior warning. This forum is being offered as a service to our members and we will not be sending warning emails to offenders, etc. Selling on this forum is free and is being offered exclusively at the request of our members. However, buyers need to be aware there are no guarantees to the claims of sellers and you are buying at your on risk.

Those participating in this forum also agree with and understand the “Collector to Collector Classifieds" forum has nothing to do with Game Used Universe’s selling model and Game Used Universe will not be accountable for any false representations, shipping of incorrect items, etc.

ChrisCavalier
06-20-2010, 09:26 AM
The reason behind the trading issue is similar to the reason behind why there is a $500 limit in the Collector to Collector Classifieds. That is, to prevent any major problems from occurring regarding items that we are not monitoring. The non-monitoring of items being sold is actually what is meant when we stated we will not be moderating the C to C forum. As it stands, despite the statement in that forum, we are still contacted by members regarding disputes they are having with other members they are trying to complete transactions with offline. Given we provide this as a free service to members we are not interested in trying to monitor transactions for high dollar amounts where members may be vulnerable to be taken for large amounts of money. That is simply our choice in how we want to do things at the moment.

Btw, regarding the moderating piece, as with any portion of the site, if the rules are broken we may take administrative action.

Given this thread was created for people to share stories and it has been derailed with non-story related questions, please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions. We will keep the thread open for people to share their stories. However, if additional attempts are made to change the topic the thread will be closed.

Sincerely,
Chris

legaleagle92481
06-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Back in the day there was a cardshop near my home and the owner was a great guy he would trade you equal Beckett book value for any card you had. I used to go there several times a week and we would swap cards and chat about sports and alot of other collectors would also. The problem was everyone was trading him rather than buying from him so he went out of business within a few months of when he opened.