PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken tbtc jersey 1996 question

dcrules01
06-14-2010, 12:10 AM
The seller just sold this jersey and is now selling a Mussina. Was this game not played because the seller is stating the jersey is not game worn?? I am not the owner

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190402821458&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

dcrules01
06-14-2010, 12:24 AM
They played the Rangers that day here is a tbtc same date from Bill Hendersons guide

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/rangers.jpg

TNTtoys
06-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Scott,

We talked about this over email but for the benefit of the collecting community, I thought I'd post my response here.

At the time these jerseys were made, Mitchell and Ness had the exclusive contract to make authentic reproductions of past MLB jerseys. In addition, they were hired to do a variety of TBTC sets for certain teams... and once they made these sets, it was not uncommon for them to run off many more for retail purposes, commemorating TBTC event and bearing the number of a star player for that team from that game.

The Mitchell & Ness TBTCs had their usual Cooperstown Collection Authentic logo tag on the bottom of the jersey, but instead of the usual year patch, they had a patch that read "TBC" and the date of the game. They did make a subtle variaton on these jerseys to differentiate the "gamers" from the "retail authentics" (though the construction was the same).

From what I see here, the gamers had the date patch beneath the Cooperstown Collectiobn logo whereas the retails had the date patch next to it (like their other retail jerseys of the time), but in my opinion this was too subtle. In future events, M&N began color coding the date patches, so that it was easier to distinguish between the two. For example, they made a lot of 2000 Reds homes and 2005 jerseys roads (commemorating the 1975 Reds and 1982 Cardinals respectively). These jerseys had black lettering on their date patches for authentics whereas they had red lettering on the game used jerseys' patches. Subtle, but at least a better way to tell the difference.

So... it's my opinion that the jersey in question is just what the seller purported it to be. A retail authentic jersey made by Mitchell & Ness at a time they manufactured the turn back the clock jerseys for the Orioles. He listed it in the authentic jersey category and also stated in his description "this is not a game used jersey."

My only question is around the price. A jersey like this would have retailed in the ballpark of $250.00 at the time. Why would the seller list it so ridiculously low? He took a beating at a final price of $30.00.

Nick

BamaHater
06-14-2010, 10:16 PM
That explains alot. Scott posted this on my behalf. I won the jersey with the intent to wear it anyways.