PDA

View Full Version : Bat restoration question - tape job

TNTtoys
06-11-2010, 11:28 AM
All,

I have a BLONDE bat that has an original "criss cross" tape job beginning to peel off of the bat. The big problem here is the fact that the player used a LOT of pine tar, so the tape job and surrounding areas are dark. Where the tape is coming apart from the bat is becoming a big eye-sore.

What can I use to reapply the tape to the bat (an adhesive you would recommend from experience), and do you have a recomemndation as to how to get any exposed blonde areas to match the darker spots aurrounding them?

Thanks,
Nick

yankees506
06-11-2010, 11:33 AM
krazy glue for sure, its clear and wont change the color of the tape, just dont over apply or touch once you glue, less is more with this kind of glue because once its on, it wont come off

TNTtoys
06-11-2010, 11:43 AM
krazy glue for sure, its clear and wont change the color of the tape, just dont over apply or touch once you glue, less is more with this kind of glue because once its on, it wont come off

Are you sure? How much experience do you have to this regard?

It's my experience that krazy glue goes through to the other side of the tape.

yankees506
06-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I taped a swisher bat from last year that way fraying at the top, thats the only time ive used it but it came out fine for me. I used a tiny amount maybe 2 drops, if your separation is bigger then you may wanna go a diff route

yankees24
06-11-2010, 12:03 PM
does the chemical of the krazy glue ruin the wood?

metsbats
06-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Pine tar applied inder the loose tape will make it stick and not hurt the wood. I know this because I have taped handles on one of my own bats and if the tape starts getting loose I apply more pine tar around that area and that loose tape will stick.

Since it's a piece of memorabilia you may want to make sure you only apply the tar to the tape as to not get any over the original pine tar so you don't compromise the player applied tar.

I've never tried crazy glue but if you want to use glue I personally would try wood glue. However I think both crazy glue and wood glue would change the feel of the tape (harden it) whereas the pine tar would not.

camarokids
06-16-2010, 09:52 PM
I had a bat with a piece of tape that was loose. I put a little bit of Elmer's Glue and it fixed it with no problem.