PDA

View Full Version : Your Top #5 Sports Related Movies

jobathenut
06-11-2010, 01:16 AM
I know this might sound childess to do this.But me and some friends were talking about this tonight.And we were talking about our favorite sports movies and putting together our top sports related movies.And it was funny how alot of us did not have the same movies.I dont think you realize how many sports movies there have been.Anyway,i just thought it might be a fun topic on here.Heres my top #5 sports movies.......#1-FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME........#2-ALL THE RIGHT MOVES........#3-YOUNGBLOOD........#4-DAYS OF THUNDER.......#5-THE WRESTLER..........

joelsabi
06-11-2010, 01:26 AM
I know this might sound childess to do this.But me and some friends were talking about this tonight.And we were talking about our favorite sports movies and putting together our top sports related movies.And it was funny how alot of us did not have the same movies.I dont think you realize how many sports movies there have been.Anyway,i just thought it might be a fun topic on here.Heres my top #5 sports movies.......#1-FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME........#2-ALL THE RIGHT MOVES........#3-YOUNGBLOOD........#4-DAYS OF THUNDER.......#5-THE WRESTLER..........

in no particular order

Sandlots, Hoosiers, Cadyshack, , Eight Men Out, and Field of Dreams

jobathenut
06-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Come on you have to put them in order.Thats all the fun right there.As it will drive you nuts doing it-:) by the way my brother loves the movie "the sandlot",so i think it would be on his list....

spartakid
06-11-2010, 01:42 AM
I think I'd have to say

1. The Natural

2. Hoosiers

3. Field of Dreams

4. Rudy

5. Remember the Titans

joelsabi
06-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Come on you have to put them in order.Thats all the fun right there.As it will drive you nuts doing it-:) by the way my brother loves the movie "the sandlot",so i think it would be on his list....

OK.

1. Eight Men Out -- just because it had Joe Jackson as a character
2. Field of Dreams -- just because the dude got to play one more time catch with his father
3. Sandlot - Just because you got to pity the kid who can't play baseball and the Pool Resuscitation Scene.
4. Cadyshack -- Cuz Eddie Murray blew up an entire golf course.
5. Hoosier - Cuz you need at least one movie with the dramatic last second win however formulaic.

ChrisCavalier
06-11-2010, 01:45 AM
In no particular order:

Rocky, Brian's Song, Field of Dreams, Hoosiers, Pride of the Yankees.

Also liked Raging Bull, Cinderella Man and Jerry Macguire.

-Chris

ChrisCavalier
06-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Just saw the request to put them in order. If forced to, I'd say:

1) Rocky - when I was young played a role in helping me believe was possible if you believe and work hard.
2) Brian's Song - first movie that ever made me cry.
3) Field of Dreams - love the mix of the supernatural into the story line.
4) Jerry Macguire - loved his commitment to his beliefs and convictions.
5) Raging Bull - being Italian-American, I can't help but like De Niro and Pesci.

-Chris

sox83cubs84
06-11-2010, 11:48 AM
1=Major League (STILL LMAO when I watch it)
2=Pride of the Yankees (Please don't EVER desecrate this film by remaking it)
3=Murder at the World Series (Cheesy made-for-TV movie with an Astros-A's Fall Classic in 1976...NOT a classic but I enjoyed it)
4=Rocky 2 (The good guy wins)
5=Field of Dreams (If you show it, I will come)

Dave Miedema

micah18771
06-11-2010, 01:19 PM
1.)Field Of Dreams
2.)Rocky
3.)Eight Men Out
4.)Raging Bull
5.)Peaceful Warrior

3arod13
06-11-2010, 01:22 PM
1=Major League (STILL LMAO when I watch it)Dave Miedema

One of my favorites! What it everytime it comes on. Also have it on DVD.

3arod13
06-11-2010, 01:23 PM
One of my favorites! What it everytime it comes on. Also have it on DVD.

Watch it ...

5kRunner
06-11-2010, 01:49 PM
4. Cadyshack -- Cuz Eddie Murray blew up an entire golf course.

LOL, Eddie Murray??? Didn't realize ole Steady Eddie was in that one.

*Cough* Bill Murrary

beaglegypsy003
06-11-2010, 10:49 PM
1. Hoosiers
2. Friday Night Lights
3. Rudy
4. The Greatest Game Ever Played
5. Remember the Titans

trsent
06-12-2010, 12:16 AM
1. Slap Shot
2. Million Dollar Baby
3. The Cinderella Man
4. The Hustler
5. The Champ

Also appreciated:

The Color of Money
Caddyshack
Field of Dreams

island_style
06-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Great topic! My remote control suddenly stops working whenever I run across a sports movie while channel surfing. It's hard to name just five. I wish we could have named 10.

1. Field of Dreams
2. Rudy
3. Bad News Bears (the original with Walter Matthau)
4. Heaven Can Wait
5. Jackie Robinson Story

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

joelsabi
06-12-2010, 10:10 AM
LOL, Eddie Murray??? Didn't realize ole Steady Eddie was in that one.

*Cough* Bill Murrary

I thought I saw Cal Ripken in the movie too. :D It goes to show you that my brain store baseball player information better than actor information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Hx5ka1FiA

jbsportstuff
06-12-2010, 10:33 AM
#1 Hoosiers - "Welcome to Indiana Basketball"
#2 Miracle - "My name is Mike Eruzione and I play for the United States of America"
#3 Field of Dreams - "No..this is Iowa"
#4 Caddyshack - "Let's pretend that we're real human beings."
#5 Major League - "Are you saying that Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

jobathenut
06-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I know what you mean it's tough to put them in a top 5.When me and my friend were talking about it.That's what was driving us nuts.Its one thing to name the ones you like.But to put them in a top 5 is tough.I could have easily named a top 10 like you said.And that would have made it easier.But to put them in a top 5 is so much fun isnt it.Like i said i dont think you realize until you think about just how many sports movies are out there.
Great topic! My remote control suddenly stops working whenever I run across a sports movie while channel surfing. It's hard to name just five. I wish we could have named 10.

1. Field of Dreams
2. Rudy
3. Bad News Bears (the original with Walter Matthau)
4. Heaven Can Wait
5. Jackie Robinson Story

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

jobathenut
06-12-2010, 06:10 PM
That major league line is one of best ever!!!!...What a great movie that was.That and miracle were close to making my top 5.And i also liked the tv movie miracle that not too people know about that was done in the i think the early 80's.
#1 Hoosiers - "Welcome to Indiana Basketball"
#2 Miracle - "My name is Mike Eruzione and I play for the United States of America"
#3 Field of Dreams - "No..this is Iowa"
#4 Caddyshack - "Let's pretend that we're real human beings."
#5 Major League - "Are you saying that Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

jobathenut
06-12-2010, 06:20 PM
That other miracle movie i mentioned about the usa 1980 olymipics hockey team.Was called "miracle on ice" and featured karl malden as herb brooks and was released in 1981.I remember as a kid me and my friends would act out sceens from the movie.

SteelCity
06-12-2010, 06:31 PM
1) Slap Shot (I've got to think, if this isn't on anyone's top 5 list, they simply haven't seen it... and/or hate hockey.)
2) The Rocket - Maurice Richard
3) Bull Durham, The Natural
4) Field of Dreams, Eight Men Out, Major League, League of their Own
5) Caddyshack, Sudden Death (OK, not because it's a good film, just because.)
6) All the others.

Pretty sure Raging Bull should be up there. And I still haven't seen Miracle and 61*.

Worst) Most of the Rocky's from 2-11, or whatever the last one is. I get them mixed up, there may have been another decent one in there. Also the Mighty Ducks series, Cool Runnings.

JasonBanz
06-12-2010, 07:32 PM
1.) Ace Ventura Pet Detective-Dan Marino is in it. That automatically gives it #1
2.)Major League 1 & 2-I like 2 cause it was shot in Baltimore.
3.)Rudy-Good heart warming story!
4.)Fever Pitch-Though I'm an O's fan, my wife is a Red Sox fan and it sounds girly, but its a perfect date movie! :o
5.)The Longest Yard(Remake)-That movie is just hilarious!

Honorable Mention-Unneccesary Roughness, The Waterboy, Mystery Alaska, and The Benchwarmers.

JasonBanz
06-12-2010, 07:33 PM
1.) Ace Ventura Pet Detective-Dan Marino is in it. That automatically gives it #1
2.)Major League 1 & 2-I like 2 cause it was shot in Baltimore.
3.)Rudy-Good heart warming story!
4.)Fever Pitch-Though I'm an O's fan, my wife is a Red Sox fan and it sounds girly, but its a perfect date movie! :o
5.)The Longest Yard(Remake)-That movie is just hilarious!

Honorable Mention-Unneccesary Roughness, The Waterboy, Mystery Alaska, and The Benchwarmers.

Also with Honorable Mention-Remember the Titans and The Blind Side.

Tedw9
06-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Awesome topic! Great choices by everyone so far, any one of those movies could make my top 5.

1. Field of Dreams (I love my Dad, I love baseball and I can relate to the story)
2. Fever Pitch (My wife says the Jimmy Fallon character is a lot like me and I'm a Red Sox fan too. Oh, and I have always loved Drew Barrymore! :D)
3. Cobb (I really liked Tommy Lee Jones as Ty in this. Great story about a great player)
4. Eight Men Out (I've always been fascinated by the Black Sox scandal)
5. We Are Marshall (The whole campus chanting scene gave me goosebumps)

jobathenut
06-13-2010, 03:06 AM
You got 4 movies in the #4 spot,thats not fair.Like i said the fun part is picking just your top 5 movies.And see if you can do it without going insane.:D
1) Slap Shot (I've got to think, if this isn't on anyone's top 5 list, they simply haven't seen it... and/or hate hockey.)
2) The Rocket - Maurice Richard
3) Bull Durham, The Natural
4) Field of Dreams, Eight Men Out, Major League, League of their Own
5) Caddyshack, Sudden Death (OK, not because it's a good film, just because.)
6) All the others.

Pretty sure Raging Bull should be up there. And I still haven't seen Miracle and 61*.

Worst) Most of the Rocky's from 2-11, or whatever the last one is. I get them mixed up, there may have been another decent one in there. Also the Mighty Ducks series, Cool Runnings.

Larry Pelliccioni
06-13-2010, 07:29 AM
1. The Natural
2. The Replacements
3. Remember the Titans
4. Youngblood
5. Net Worth (The noteworthy thing about this rather obscure Canadian movie is that it talks about Ted Lindsay's involvement in the formation of the player's union. In one scene the actor portraying Ted Lindsay gets into a fight with a Toronto Maple Leaf. As he is ushered to the penalty box, he is heckled by 3 fans. The fan on the far right of the shot is...TED LINDSAY. Ted is a personal friend of mine and one of the most gentlemanly people I know. He sure played the game with a passion that few have.
Larry Pelliccioni

cohibasmoker
06-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Love the One liners:

Field of Dreams;
You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day.

Rocky;
Yo Adrian, go make the meat.

Caddy Shack;
Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Fever Pitch:
During a discussion over Red Sox seats - Ben, do you find my wife attractive? Cause we could work something out.

Ace Ventura:
When Ace discloses that Lois Einhorn is actually a man, every cop at the scene has the bad beer look on their faces.

JIm

PS: Just my opinions - hope I didn't offend anyone.

SteelCity
06-13-2010, 12:27 PM
You got 4 movies in the #4 spot,thats not fair.Like i said the fun part is picking just your top 5 movies.And see if you can do it without going insane.:D

Ya I cheated, sorry! I guess I just liked them all about the same.

5. Net Worth (The noteworthy thing about this rather obscure Canadian movie is that it talks about Ted Lindsay's involvement in the formation of the player's union. In one scene the actor portraying Ted Lindsay gets into a fight with a Toronto Maple Leaf. As he is ushered to the penalty box, he is heckled by 3 fans. The fan on the far right of the shot is...TED LINDSAY. Ted is a personal friend of mine and one of the most gentlemanly people I know. He sure played the game with a passion that few have.
Larry Pelliccioni

How about that, thanks for sharing this. I had never heard of it, I just bought it new on Ebay, can't wait to check it out.

suave1477
06-13-2010, 06:32 PM
So many to name its hard to pick top 5

1 61*
2 Eight Men out
3 Rudy
4 Youngblood
5 Field of dreams

Honorable mentions
Sugar
Cinderella man
Major League
Fever Pitch
The Express

I am sure there is a ton more im missing

jobathenut
06-13-2010, 10:09 PM
I know thats the fun of it, deciding out of all your favorites to put them in order.As you have 2 (61* and eight men out) that were very hard for me to chose not to put in my top 5.And i am very happy to see that another person is a fan of "youngblood".When i had the discussion with my friends (that led to me posting this thread) none of them even heard of that movie.And we are talking like 10 other people.
So many to name its hard to pick top 5

1 61*
2 Eight Men out
3 Rudy
4 Youngblood
5 Field of dreams

Honorable mentions
Sugar
Cinderella man
Major League
Fever Pitch
The Express

I am sure there is a ton more im missing

kudu
06-14-2010, 12:30 AM
1. Caddyshack - "Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key."

2. Major League - "Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias."

3. Talladega Nights - "Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for this wonderful meal, my two beautiful son's, Walker and Texas Ranger, and my Red-Hot Smokin' Wife, Carley."

4. Field of Dreams - "What you grinning at, you ghost?"

5. The Big Lebowski - " That rug really tied the room together."

sox83cubs84
06-14-2010, 10:51 AM
I know thats the fun of it, deciding out of all your favorites to put them in order.As you have 2 (61* and eight men out) that were very hard for me to chose not to put in my top 5.And i am very happy to see that another person is a fan of "youngblood".When i had the discussion with my friends (that led to me posting this thread) none of them even heard of that movie.And we are talking like 10 other people.

It wasn't top 5 for me, but I saw Youngblood and liked it, as well. Rob Lowe as a hockey player is a bit of a stretch, but overall it was fun, and I liked the appearance of former Blackhawk Eric Nesterenko as Lowe's film father.''

Dave M.
Chicago area

jobathenut
06-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I know what you are saying about lowe as a hockey player.But i thought he did good saying i don't think he has any background in hockey.The only thing i thought was a stretch was the fighting scene at the end of the movie.Other than that i thought it was done very good.And i just love the line when youngblood is skating circles around everyone "someone hit that hot dog" and swayze says "they would if they could catch him"-what great actor he was.And i think just like cruise in all the right moves.This movie and patrick and rob lowe for that matter did'nt get the credit it deserved.I did not know that about it was a former player that played his dad in the movie.
It wasn't top 5 for me, but I saw Youngblood and liked it, as well. Rob Lowe as a hockey player is a bit of a stretch, but overall it was fun, and I liked the appearance of former Blackhawk Eric Nesterenko as Lowe's film father.''

Dave M.
Chicago area

suave1477
06-15-2010, 01:14 PM
I would also like to throw into it for honorable mention.

Blue Chips
The Program
Against the Ropes
Gladiator - Boxing movie
Above the rim
Basketball Diaries - even though it really wasn't a sport movie
Diggstown

tigerdale
06-15-2010, 01:30 PM
I can't rate my top 5...but I do know my favorite all time is "The Rookie"

suave1477
06-15-2010, 01:44 PM
More honorable mentions

A league of there own
Talent for the game
For the love of the game
The fan
Invincible

karamaxjoe
06-15-2010, 03:50 PM
1. The Natural
2. Hoosiers
3. Eight Men Out
4. Field of Dreams
5. Pride of the Yankees - First sports movie I ever saw and it caused me to give my youngest son the middle name 'Gehrig'.

I also have to separate drama from comedy:
1. Slapshot
2. Bull Durham
3. Longest Yard
4. The Sandlot
5. Caddyshack

geoff
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
1.Major League 1

2.Eight Men Out

3. 61

4. The Babe