PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authentication Error?

VALAIKA COLLECTOR
12-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Does anyone know why this is happening to me? When I go to MLB authentication page to type in a hologram # the window will pop up but it doesn't display any information like what game the item was used in. Now on my work computer it will pull up so I am assuming it's something with my computer settings. Anyone know how to fix this? thanks!

Tedw9
12-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Clean out your cookies and make sure your Flash and other programs are up to date. I'm not sure what program they are using, but I would guess maybe one of your programs is out of date. This of course is just guesswork on my part. I hope this works! :)

VALAIKA COLLECTOR
12-13-2008, 05:30 PM
thanks for the reply, I have tried that and still doesn't work. I seemed to have this problem after i installed internet explorer 7, not sure if that matters but i could view it on internet explorer 6. It has to be something in the internet properties that is wrong but I don't know what.

David
12-13-2008, 07:56 PM
I believe someone brought up this exact issue a few weeks ago, so it's nothing personal to you. I would guess it's the MLB site.

kylehess10
12-13-2008, 08:16 PM
I believe someone brought up this exact issue a few weeks ago, so it's nothing personal to you. I would guess it's the MLB site.

That's correct. I experience the same problem constantly. I believe it's because the number is not in their database, so it comes up blank instead.

VALAIKA COLLECTOR
12-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Whats weird about it is it will pull all the information up on my work computer and even my iphone! But on my house computer it just comes up blank. Very strange, at least I know I'm not the only one.

David
12-13-2008, 10:45 PM
From my experience, pop up windows are hit and miss. Once it works, the next time it doesn't. Whether its me or my browswer or the websites or pop ups in general, its never clear.

cmw2ward
01-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I recently purchased a Pedro Martinez game used bat. It has an mlb hologram on it (MR-258175). When i enter the hologram number in the website it says "this item appears in the data base" but no additional information is listed.

So I called and e-mailed MLB. Below please find their response. As a collector I am very put off MLB Authentication. I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

Thanks

Thanks for the e-mail. The MR hologram is from Deloitte & Touche. From May 2002 through January 2006, the firm of Deloitte & Touche was the exclusive third-party Authenticator for all items under the MLB Authentication Program. As Authenticator, Deloitte was solely responsible for all authentication and data entry of the hologram numbers placed on autographed items and game-used memorabilia. Unfortunately, MLB has no direct access to this data. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks for your patience,
MLB Authentication

jgoldstein2000
01-17-2009, 05:09 PM
A lot of us have this problem.

cmw2ward
01-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Any idea about how to get the authentication records?

cmw2ward
01-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Can anyone help me out? Any info would be great!

Thanks

xpress34
01-28-2009, 12:36 AM
I don't remember exactly when and where, but MLB addressed this issue some time back - in fact, it is why a lot of teams only used the MLB Hologram program instead of their own LOA for a limited time.

The Colorado Rockies used the Hologram program for ONE year (2005) for their Game Used items before going back to team issued LOAs.

Anyway, MLB issued a statement back then that there had been some 'issues' with keeping up with the database and therefore, not all MLB Holograms will actually register in the DB and some may show a different item.

Luckily my 2005 Matt Holliday GU Hat actually registers on the system with the hologram.

I wish I could be more help, but I can pretty much guarantee that you won't find any better info since MLB basically washed their hands of the deal.

All the best -

Chris

mr.miracle
01-28-2009, 01:13 AM
I recently purchased a Pedro Martinez game used bat. It has an mlb hologram on it (MR-258175). When i enter the hologram number in the website it says "this item appears in the data base" but no additional information is listed.

So I called and e-mailed MLB. Below please find their response. As a collector I am very put off MLB Authentication. I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

Thanks

Thanks for the e-mail. The MR hologram is from Deloitte & Touche. From May 2002 through January 2006, the firm of Deloitte & Touche was the exclusive third-party Authenticator for all items under the MLB Authentication Program. As Authenticator, Deloitte was solely responsible for all authentication and data entry of the hologram numbers placed on autographed items and game-used memorabilia. Unfortunately, MLB has no direct access to this data. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks for your patience,
MLB Authentication

My personal favorite was when MLB emailed me back with the same problem and I was informed that Arthur Andersen was the independant authenticator back in 2001 and since they are essentially nonexistent at this point they told me that Arthur Andersen retains those records, MLB has no access to them and there is no chance that they can ever be updated or verified. The only thing that they can say is that the item is authentic but no additional verification details are available.

This is real, real nice.

cmw2ward
01-28-2009, 06:17 PM
It's hard to believe that the MLB is that careless! Really leaves me with a very bad taste.

Why would anyone buy from the current MLB Authentic program, who knows maybe two years from now they'll loose the current records?????

coxfan
02-15-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm new here, but I bought a g-u ball from the -Tampa Bay-Texas Rangers game of 5-21-03, and the Yankees-rangers game of 5-21-04 ( A-Rod's first series back). Both were bought from the Rangers' in-stadium store. I noted at the time that both MLB holograms said that Deloitte and Touche were the authenticators. But when I re-checked them recently, they now say the authenticator was Authenticators, Inc.

Did they retroactively change the name of the authenticators on the website from the original posting? Any ideas?

DonFan23
02-15-2009, 11:02 AM
My suggestion would be to look up the address of the Deloitte & Touche office nearest to the ballpark where the authentication was done, and send a letter to the Managing Partner. It may or may not work, but they should still have the records in their files, and maybe you can make some headway with them.

gingi79
07-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I already emailed them (the email follows below.) I won a game worn white Jeff Francoeur Atlanta Braves jersey from the 2007 season. I was very excited to get it at the price I won it for as I can now either save it or resell it for a nice profit if things get tight. Box comes via UPS and I'm stoked to open the box. I pull it out, look it over and see marks that appear to have been made by a pen or marker. I have never seen bat marks which look exactly like a ball point pen or thin sharpie marks. I figure it required further research until I plugged the MLB Hologram into the database......

They sent me a simple Autographed shirt. It had the 33 patch and a 0063 code on the inner tag but was obviously never used in an MLB game. There is no (07 48 s2) tag under the jock tag (which looks crisp and new). So I am rather positive it is not GU and I emailed my concerns.

My question is, has anyone had a similiar issue with MLB Auctions and how was it resolved? If I don't get a positive resolution, I will be disputing the charge. Will I really have that kind of hassel to look forward to?

Anyway here is the email, an suggestions on how to get the correct shirt would be greatly appreciated.

"Hello,

I won a Game Worn Jeff Francoeur White Braves jersey recently on your site. It was listed on MLB Auctions as Game worn and I bid $500 on it, a very high sum as it was being sold as game used. You cannot imagine my disdain therefore when it arrived and was:

(a) Missing the {07 48 S2} tag that almost every game used Braves jersey has sewn on under the Majestic jock tag post 2006
(b) Has pen marks not consistent with normal game use.

Normally I wouldn't complain however, when I looked up my MLB Authentication hologram and saw this:

"Hologram number BB570634 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under AUTOGRAPHED JERSEY.
Session Product Description: TEAM ISSUED #7

Session Name: JEFF FRANCOEUR SIGNING
Session Date: Feburary 06, 2008
Autographer: JEFF FRANCOEUR
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC."

Nowhere does my hologram description list this shirt as worn in a game.

This shirt is listed as a jersey prepared for the Braves, NOT USED in a game and simply authenticates the autograph. It's value is nowhere near that of a shirt listed in your database as Game Used and I paid $500 for a GAME WORN jersey. I am immeasurably dissatisfied with this jersey especially since your authentication system lists as simply an autographed jersey.

So I need to know how we are going to rectify this situation. It doesn't match my other MLB registered Francoeur jersey and it doesn't appear that there been a mistake in the database that you can rectify. For instance this wasn't simply a clerical error where it as incorrectly listed as an autographed jersey rather than game worn with dates that it had been worn.

In short, when can I expect to get the game worn Jeff Francouer jersey I paid for? How do I return this shirt to you at your expense? Please rectify this situation immediately. I aprreciate your quick and thorough assistance.

Sincerely,

GinGi79"

Mauer7
07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
I know all newer Twins Game Worn Jersey's are MLB Authenticated as team issued. It doesnt mean yours wasnt worn. I have 2 Twins jersey's that I know were worn and they both say issued.

AWA85
07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
I may be wrong, but it almost seems like MLB.com considers issued to be the same as game worn.

gingi79
07-06-2009, 09:39 PM
I know all newer Twins Game Worn Jersey's are MLB Authenticated as team issued. It doesnt mean yours wasnt worn. I have 2 Twins jersey's that I know were worn and they both say issued.

See that's not fair to collectors and I don't think it's right that we have to accept it. It is purchased from MLB, why can't it be listed correctly? Why does there have to be mired in "maybe it's game worn, maybe it's just an autographed GI"

If I put this shirt on eBay, it sells for maybe $200. If I put my red one on eBay with a much uglier autograph purchased a year ago from the same site but listed as game worn with a date, it goes for over $1000. No way am I taking a $300 hit immediately and an $800 hit in value on resale just because MLB Auctions is half assed in their wording and research.

If I purchase directly from the team and MLB, someone needs to stand behind it with easy to understand and straight forward descriptions so there is NO DOUBT this shirt was on Frenchie's back in a real game.

ziggy
07-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Here is a similar jersey to yours:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jeff-Francoeur-game-used-autographed-jersey-2007_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q 7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksid Zp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem255563bf67QQitemZ16034 6390375QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f0QQsalenotsupport ed

WadeInBmore
07-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Don't know if you want to here this or not, but I have had trouble with MLB.com. As an avid frank Thomas collector I skim through the MLB listings from time to time...and believe my excitement when I saw a grey set 2 game used blue jays jersey auth# and all. I quickly ran to my closet and pulled out my set 2 game used grey jersy and compared the auth#'s; they were identical. I tried contacting MLB.com about the issue but didn't recieve a response until after the auction was over to which they told me the auction had ended and/or no info could be found regarding my concern. LOL, oh well...I know I've got my jersey...I just feel bad For the dude who bought the jersey from MLB.com...maybe they sent him/her and autographed retail jersey instead. Hmmmm interesting. Best of luck.

Wade

cjclong
07-20-2009, 02:11 PM
At the Rangers game with the Twins in Arlington Saturday Morneau was batting and broke his bat. The twins bat boy ran out from the Twins dug out with a new bat and gave it to Morneau and then took the broken one over by the Rangers dug out and gave it to someone in the camera well Morneau finished the at bat with a single to right on which he again cracked the bat. The Twins bat boy again picked up the broken bat and took it to the camera well on the Rangers side and handed it to someone. Later in the game a Twiins batter completely shattered his bat and again the Twins bat boy took the two pieces to the camera well. A little while later the Twins bat boy ran over to the Rangers side by the camera well and was handed the 3 bats and took them back to the Twins dug out. Would this be an example of someone from MLB authenticating the bats because I can't think of any other reason for this?

jppopma
07-20-2009, 04:08 PM
It could be authentication, or it could be somebody inspecting the bats to make sure they fall into the new regulations. With all of the problems with broken bats last year, they are now required to have a clear handle as well as certain grain requirements. They may have certain off field officials that inspect broken bats to make sure they are in compliance as well as continuing to research what bats are more likely to crack.

coxfan
07-20-2009, 04:10 PM
It would seem reasonable that an authenticator might sit in the camera well, as he would need to be near the batboys to get items that could be specifically authenticated as " broken bat by Jones-sixth inning" etc. If he waits to get them after the game in the clubhouse, there's no way to be sure of the specific use of the item, so it would thus then be given simply as " game-used on X date".

Authenticators would have to work for both teams if any road items were used and then sold later by the visiting teams. For example, the Braves' dugout lineup cards for road games are certified along with items for the home team ( in the same hologram sequence) and then brought back to Atlanta to sell. That would indicate the authenticators work onsite for both teams.

coxfan
07-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Another thought: If you see items (such as balls) in the Rangers' stores that are given as being from that Twins' game, try to get the hologram number. The items from a given game are always given in the same sequence; for example, the last part of the numbering may start at ...566 and continue through ...582 for all items from that game regardless of the first part of the hologram.( And it often picks up there for the next game, though sometimes they jump to another number sequence.) So if those bats were specifically authenticated as being from certain innings in that game, that would almost certainly prove that the camera well visits were for authenticators. If the bats are only authenticated as " game-used" with no specifics such as inning used, then the camera-well visits were probably not part of the process.

gingi79
07-20-2009, 08:07 PM
I see others have had similar issues so I figured I would update this thread.

After looking over the shirt and tags, it is most likely that this was game worn. The price tagging from the Braves that hangs from the shirt lists it as Francoeur $800. Nothing about game worn like others have been.

I contacted MLB Auctions who forwarded my concerns to a wonderful woman at the Braves. If you have a problem, question, concern about Atlanta Braves material, Lisa Wessinger is the person to talk to. She looked into it and explained how to return my jersey for a new one. Better yet she forwarded my the new MLB Hologram. It lists the shirt as game worn against the Nationals on June 27th AND that the autograph is authenticated at a signing on August 3rd!

If you collect Braves stuff and want her info, email me at gingi79@aol.com. You will NOT be disappointed.

I guess alls well that ends well. I'd say I was pleasantly surprised and very satisfied by the outcome. I hope everyone else who has voiced concerns gets the same service I did.

April 10, 1962
07-21-2009, 11:46 PM
The guy sitting in the camera well next to the dugout is the MLB Authenticator. That is why the bats are going his direction. They sit in a similar position at all MLB stadiums.

nomo121
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
It is the authenticator, as I see them toss balls and so forth over to him. Now that is a sweet gig.

metsbats
12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I received a Nick Evan's game used helmet today with a MLB hologram which dated the helmet to the 9/29/2009 mets vs nats game. When I double checked the boxscore Evan's didn't even play on that day.

Jays1fan
12-23-2009, 07:50 PM
That might just be the Session Date. If you want to email me the MLB Hologram Number , I will check it out for you.

legaleagle92481
12-23-2009, 08:12 PM
The helmet was probably collected after that game and if Nick had gotten an ab in that game the helmet was probably in the dugout for him to use. Since batting helmets are used in more than one game I wouldn't worry to much about it.

shoremen44
12-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Send them an email... I had an item that was authenticated to a game a player did not play in...

I sent them an email and they checked with the authenticator and it was actually retrieved the day before.

they corrected it in their system

tigerdale
12-23-2009, 08:35 PM
is it possible to that it was the last home game?? I know a lot of times the last game & last home game a lot get authenticated...

metsbats
12-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the feedback Guys.

LH724717 is the MLB hologram number.

I didn't realized the date may reflect the session or date collected and not a particular game date the item was used.

Mattingly85MVP
12-26-2009, 02:04 AM
Send them an email... I had an item that was authenticated to a game a player did not play in...

I sent them an email and they checked with the authenticator and it was actually retrieved the day before.

they corrected it in their system

Has anyone here purchased an item that should have been MLB authenticated but was mistakenly not. I won an item from Yankee Stadium on the MLB.com auction site this past July and the item came to me only with the steiner hologram on it, no MLB authentication. I must have called steiner and emailed MLB.com auctions 10 times before they told me that the item had been pulled out of the stadium without being authenticated first. They offered me a refund, but I love the item so much that I just let it slide. I know its the real deal because I've photographed it many times while it was in use over the years, but it just bothers me that it slipped through their hands w/o authenticating it (can't believed they missed it since its 7ft long, not like its a small item)

flaco1801
12-26-2009, 06:44 AM
yeah the authenticator remembered it was the day before lolololol

metsbats
12-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Has anyone here purchased an item that should have been MLB authenticated but was mistakenly not. I won an item from Yankee Stadium on the MLB.com auction site this past July and the item came to me only with the steiner hologram on it, no MLB authentication. I must have called steiner and emailed MLB.com auctions 10 times before they told me that the item had been pulled out of the stadium without being authenticated first. They offered me a refund, but I love the item so much that I just let it slide. I know its the real deal because I've photographed it many times while it was in use over the years, but it just bothers me that it slipped through their hands w/o authenticating it (can't believed they missed it since its 7ft long, not like its a small item)

This happened last year with some Shea stadium items which I picked up from MeiGray. Fortunately I noticed the MLB hologram was missing before loading it into my van. Ended up leaving the item with MeiGray who had to get it authenticated in person by MLB at a later date. The items were shipped to me after the mlb hologram was attached.

mbenga28
05-24-2010, 09:34 AM
have any of you had an item that was MLB Authenticated as game issued or game ready but you found photo matches to your piece showing it was actually game used? if so, can you request MLB Authenticated to revise the description, and if they do such requests what kind of proof/information do you need to provide them?

thanks.

mbenga28
05-24-2010, 09:35 AM
sorry if the title was misleading, I meant to say "description changes" but typed too quickly.

slam
05-24-2010, 09:59 AM
I have a few items that were marked issued, but could be photo matched. Good luck trying to get MLB to switch the description. I would say you have a 0% chance.

mbenga28
05-24-2010, 10:03 AM
if you provide them the photo and it matches the item, why wouldn't they change it?

legaleagle92481
05-24-2010, 10:05 AM
As has been said before on other posts MLB will not authenticate something as gu if they did not see it used. There is a ton of gu stuff listed as GI in the MLB database for this reason. It is very tough but offers the collector the uptmost protection.

mbenga28
05-24-2010, 10:18 AM
what kind of protection and integrity does the system really offer if you can photo match an item used from a game that is listed as issued on the database?

April 10, 1962
05-24-2010, 10:41 AM
what kind of protection and integrity does the system really offer if you can photo match an item used from a game that is listed as issued on the database?

I guess it depends on what your intentions are. I can see how someone would think there's no protection if that person intended to sell the item instead of collecting it for themselves. Not sure if this is the case here, but as oen other member already stated, the program has a high integrity and they follow rules in a strict manner. I like it.

ziggy
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
A photo is worth way more than a crappy certificate or mlb sticker.....just take the mlb sticker off the item and have a copy/print of your photo match

joelsabi
05-24-2010, 12:52 PM
do what gingi79 did and contact MLB Auctions and continue to followup until you get results.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=152945&postcount=7

Texstros
05-24-2010, 05:13 PM
This post got me to thinking so i looked over a few of my game bats to see what the authentication said.. Wow was I suprised!

Hologram number LH149947 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BROKEN BAT.
Session Product Description:

Session Name: HOU AT LAD
Session Date: July 19, 2009
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: 3RD INN/ KURODA PITCH/ BOURN HIT/ GROUNDOUT TO SHORTSTOP-6/3 MAX BAT MODEL 471 L PRO MAPLE 33/ WHITE HANDLE BLACK BARREL/ # 21 ON KNOB

Boy is this all wrong!!

Bourn hit 1st inn - broke his bat / short stop error/ he got on base.
Bourn - 3rd Inn - hit a single to left field..
The Authentication guys really screwd up. Losts of info on the bat but not very useful..

Makes you wonder - I trully believed this was a tightly wrapped process, guess I was wrong.

ajdaman42
06-09-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm considering the purchase of a game used bat with MLB authentication however when I input the authentication number on the MLB's website it lists the bat as autographed. The bat is not autographed and definitely shows evidence of game use. I'm a little skeptical to purchase this item because of the discrepancy. Has anyone run into any errors related to the MLB authentication?

ajdaman42
06-09-2010, 09:50 AM
The mlb authentication number is LH044053, which lists the following:

Session Name: COL AT DET
Session Date: June 29, 2008
Autographer: Ivan Rodriguez

Pudge didn't play in the game on 6/29 but I'm guessing thats just when the bat was collected. I've looked for pictures from the Colorado series but couldn't find any. The model # and color of the bat matches what he used while playing for the Tigers.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Fnazxc0114
06-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I think what it boils down to is mlb makes money from selling seats, and beer. Id imagine for the majority of the teams in the league game used sells equate to less than one tenth of a percent of their overall income.