PDA

View Full Version : Ever Try Asking A Player To Inscribe "Game Used"?

kylehess10
07-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Has anybody on here ever had luck in asking a player to add an inscription to something game used (Like "game used 2005,gamer,etc.)?

scottanservitz
07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I had an Eric Dickerson SMU game used jersey and I sent it to Tristar and paid extra for him to inscribe it "gamer". No dice. He wouldn't do it. I've since sold it and I got my $ back. Some do and some don't. Guess on who it is.

suave1477
07-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah I usually have good success!!!

On items we have autographed by athletes we all ask them to inscribe the item with "Game Used and the year it is from"
Most players if given the right place to autograph will add Game Used to the items.
But when you go to an autograph signing you have to kind of do it quick. Becuz I have seen agents tell there players to not sign "Game Used". As far as the gentlman with tristar im not surprised way too much time for the player and other people to talk him out of it.

skipcareyisfat
07-12-2006, 12:42 PM
The only time I've ever been turned down was when I asked Chipper Jones to sign his rookie helmet with "my rookie helmet." (It has #16 on the back.) He asked where it came from, then he actually tried it on - and it fit - but he wouldn't inscribe it. He did add a nice signature across the brim though.

The first time I can recall hearing stories about a player refusing to sign "gamer," or at least making some sort of judgment on whether or not the item was actually used by him was Wade Boggs. I believe he used to write "not used" or "Not worn" or something like that on jerseys, etc. On the other hand, you have guys like Andruw Jones who'll pretty much write anything you ask them to.

hblakewolf
07-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Forum readers-

Players will usually add a year or "GAME USED" when asked. I've only had a handful of players refuse including........

Steve Carlton-Refused to sign his 1986 green St. Pat's hat AT ALL! I was forced to get the show promoter to force Carlton to sign it. I then saked him to add "game worn 1986" and he about blew a fuse! He did add "1986", however, and I then asked him to hold the hat while I snapped a photo for authenticity. Not a pretty picture!

Dave Hollins-he was always a tough autograph for game used equipment. When he was traded from the Phillies to California, I asked him to sign his very rare 1991 Phillies helmet with the Desert Storm sticker on back. He signed the bill, however, did not add "GAMER 1991" as I asked. When I handed the helmet back to him and asked to add the additional notation, he became quite pissed and yelled, "DON'T PUSH IT".

Rick Wise-I have his 1971 Phillies game worn road jersey and hat from his no-hitten against the Reds. He is the pitching coach in our Independant League, and I have asked him for the last 3 years to sign the hat, each time his team plays our Somerset Patriots. He has to be the most bitter ex-player I have ever met. Not only will he not sign my equipment, he refuses to even say hello to the fans or EVER sign an autograph-PERIOD. I have offered to pay him $25. per autograph, buy him a hot dog or pay whatever price he desires, however, he will not even acknowledge me anymore. I'm aware that he does a few autograph shows in Boston, and may have to make the drive to get this done.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

trsent
07-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Last weekend we did an autograph signing with Willie Harris and he did sign a game used 2004 White Sox jersey "Game Used" and one of his bats from The White Sox Garage Sale he signed "Game Used".

He did take all three bats that people had him autograph and take practice swings with them. I know two of them came from the White Sox Garage Sale, I do not remember where the third came from.

Eric
07-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I wonder if Dan D. can get the Ripken St. Patrick's Day Signed As "Game Used"- maybe it'll be worth something.
Sorry- couldn't resist

BULBUS
07-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Eric, that's not nice getting Dan's hopes up. Cal is doing an upcoming signing with MAB and they clearly state that he will not sign any game used items :D

allstarsplus
07-12-2006, 03:16 PM
CSA Shows did a huge show outside of Washington DC last weekend which many Forum members were at. They had several Nationals players and Frank Robinson there so I brought several game used items.

Every player signed my items "game used" or "gamer". Nick Johnson signed several Yankees bats that we bought from Yankees-Steiner and he inscribed them with the appropriate year on their too.

I was in line with the Huggins & Scott Auctions people as they got their Frank Robinson Nationals jersey signed and inscribed "2006 Gamer" by Frank. I think that will be going into their next auction catalog.

mr.miracle
07-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Hello Bulbus:

Just curious, I was looking at the info. on the upcoming MAB signing for Cal in Jan 07 and I did not see anything about him not signing game used. It does say on the site that any player has the right to refuse to sign any item but I was wondering where you saw that. Perhaps I am going blind lol.

Thanks
Brett

BULBUS
07-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Brett,
I was looking at the Rookies of the Year show in October. Under the pricing options it says:

"Bat's & Jerseys & Artwork

Bat's & Jerseys & Artwork (WILL NOT SIGN GAME USED ITEMS. WILL NOT SIGN IRONMAN INSCRIPTION.)"

-Chris

mr.miracle
07-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks Chris:

After I posted that I just found it a few minutes ago too. I would assume if he is listing these restrictions for that show they would probably continue into the January show. Wonder what prompted that. I can understand not signing game used on an item and I have always heard that Cal won't sign that on any of his stuff, but to not sign any game used equipment period even if it is your own bat, jersey etc. without the inscription seems odd. I wonder if this will be a permanent change for Cal. Anyone have any insight or info. on this.

Thanks
Brett

Drasher99
07-12-2006, 03:58 PM
I was lucky enough to get a Bernie Williams foul ball in the 6th inning when the Yankees played Texas earlier this year. The important thing is when they won the game it was Joe Torres 1000th win as a Yankee manager. I also have the program as well as the ticket stub and was wondering if anyone knows his signing habits, if he will sign the ball or at least put 1000th win on the ball. I hope to get it signed this Winter. I think he does some shows through Steiner, but I am not sure. Any help is appreciated.

stlbats
07-12-2006, 08:28 PM
I had Scott Rolen sign one of his gamers. He started to hand it back and I asked him if he would write game used on it. He thought about it for about 5 seconds or so and said " I'd rather not".

Jason

sportscentury
07-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Rick Wise-I have his 1971 Phillies game worn road jersey and hat from his no-hitten against the Reds. He is the pitching coach in our Independant League, and I have asked him for the last 3 years to sign the hat, each time his team plays our Somerset Patriots. He has to be the most bitter ex-player I have ever met. Not only will he not sign my equipment, he refuses to even say hello to the fans or EVER sign an autograph-PERIOD. I have offered to pay him $25. per autograph, buy him a hot dog or pay whatever price he desires, however, he will not even acknowledge me anymore.

Howard,

These stories should be headliners for the book (but after Gibson).

When you think about it, Rick Wise does have reason to be bitter. Think about why he ended up being famous (the losing end of one of the most lopsided trades ever).

The winning end of the trade must have mellowed quite a bit in recent years. Lefty has repeatedly been one of the most gracious, affable signers I've ever met.

If you want to meet someone who really freaks out when he sees his game used equipment, Pete Rose is a real treat. He is simply one of the most ridiculous people I've ever met. I loved Pete growing up ... and never again collected a single item of his after meeting him. I only regret not having my video camera. He tried to tell me the shirt I had was fake (he was so angry that I had it) and then, talking about the Reds employee who sold the shirt, said: "I just hate frauds!" Yes, it's true. Pete Rose, one of the most chronic liars and cheaters (tax evasion) in baseball history, actually said the words: "I just hate frauds." How great is that?!?! Classic!

Reid

sportscentury
07-12-2006, 10:40 PM
I wonder if Dan D. can get the Ripken St. Patrick's Day Signed As "Game Used"- maybe it'll be worth something.
Sorry- couldn't resist

Dan,

Do you still have this jersey? If so, could you post some pics? I never did see it. Thanks,

Reid

camarokids
07-13-2006, 10:22 AM
This past Spring Training Dave Martinez gave me a glove :), he says it was 1993 when played w/ the Giants . I asked him to sign it game used 1993 SF Giants . He paused for a second or two and said I'll put '93 . He signed his name and put only '93 after . I think he was mistaken on the year for I since have found a card that shows him using a glove w/ a different web than one he gave me . So I would appreciate it , if anyone knows how to date wilson gloves , if you could date his glove for me . Wilson A2000 Glove Model KP-92 and in the palm of the glove it says in a Gold circle THE A2002 , also in the circle is a large W . On the wrist band the logo is in a square black patch and has A2000 BY (in yellow) WILSON (in red) . Also I told Toby Hall about two bats I bought of his this past spring . The bats were originally sold by ASI , ones of HR Bat from 7/04/02 , and he flipped , what an arshole , he has turned the team of players against me telling them I work for ASI , the players ignore me now :eek:! Always Collecting game used Devil Ray bats , etc ! Thanks , David !!!!!!! new member ! my first reply ! dzscope@earthlink.net

Eric
07-13-2006, 10:39 AM
What is their beef with ASI?
Eric

sportscentury
07-13-2006, 12:06 PM
What is their beef with ASI?
Eric

Yeah, I'd really like to know the story behind this.

mr.miracle
07-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Just to update my previous post. I talked to a rep from Ironclad Authentics today who confirmed to me that Cal Ripken Jr. will not sign any item with the inscription game used regardless of how well it is authenticated or who it comes from.

In regard to the upcoming show in October and Cal not signing any game used item, the rep from Ironclad explained that Cal will not sign any game used items at shows as they do not provide ample opportunity to examine the item. Cal reserves to right to sign or not sign game used items at private signings through Ironclad. Hope this helps other Ripken fans out there.

Thanks
Brett Herman
brettherman2131@hotmail.com

camarokids
07-13-2006, 02:10 PM
I sure wish I knew , If I had known he had such a problem with ASI , I would've kept my mouth shut . Anyone know why ????? Thanks , David , Collecting Devil Rays game used bats and more ! dzscope@earthlink.net