PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan Game Used Shoes..HELP

jmwill82
06-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Hello All. I am new to this forum so please bare with me. I have the chance to purchase a pair of game used Jordan shoes. I am very knowledgeable in the autograph field, however not in the game used field. Before I buy I am hoping some members can give me more information on what I should be looking for and if the shoes are indeed game used. I have posted several pictures.

33bird
06-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Come on MJ experts. Help this guy out so he doesn't spend big money on something that maybe isn't legit.

spartanservitto
06-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Im iffy on the graph, I own some Jordans, maybe its the surface. Im leaning more towards legit at least on that.

jmwill82
06-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I feel pretty good about the autograph. It looks good and like you said, I think it's more about the surface of the shoe. What year is the shoe from? How much can a game used Jordan pair of shoes go for? I really appreciate every one's help on this!

STLHAMMER32
06-03-2010, 09:16 PM
The signature is authentic. The shoe is from the 97 season and 13.5 is the correct size Jordan wore for that year. The use should be fairly minimal since he changed shoes each game. There are some experts that can tell you if the coding is correct I'll leave that up to them but hopefully this helps!

jmwill82
06-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Thank you to everyone for the quick responses! Any information absolutely helps. What do Jordan Game Used shoes normally go for? Is any one aware of an expert who I can pass these questions onto?

33bird
06-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Guys, I think the tagging is the key though. Is that correct tagging for 1997?

Lokee
06-03-2010, 10:42 PM
should there be a made on or release date like 07/9/1 for example ?

jmwill82
06-04-2010, 09:24 AM
I think if the tagging has the dates then it means they are for retail use and not player worn. Anyone have any information on tagging?

BULBUS
06-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Don't know anything about Jordan game used, but do a search here on the forum. There are several threads on Jordan shoes. Here is one that may be helpful:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33303&highlight=jordan+shoes

jmwill82
06-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Thank you. I actually have reached out to the gentleman who said in that thread that he knows a decent amount about gamers. I am still waiting for a reply. I did call Nike this morning and they weren't helpful at all. I was told that they could investigate the tagging, however the person I spoke to had no clue as to what I was talking about.

ndestrucktable
06-04-2010, 10:29 AM
That Jordan signature is no good. I cannot speak to the shoe being authentic or not, the signature is definately NOT legit though.

jmwill82
06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Thank you for your opinion! What makes you feel as if the signature is not legit?

spartanservitto
06-04-2010, 10:39 AM
I think it is now, it looks awkward, but im sure its the indentations.

ndestrucktable
06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
The M is kind of difficult to see, the J is terrible. Look at the loop at the bottom as well as the form of the J. It just is WAY off. I don't have any comparison's available right now, the autograph is no good though.

nickacs
06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm not a MJ autograph or shoe guy, but didn't know for the autograph help, if Rareair's website might help at all? He's done very extensive comparisons with legit vs. fake MJ sigs, but more from his early years.

Hope it helps?!

http://www.rareair23.com/

jmwill82
06-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Thank you so much! I will be contacting him now. I really want to get this figured out. Thanks again!

STLHAMMER32
06-04-2010, 12:29 PM
The M is kind of difficult to see, the J is terrible. Look at the loop at the bottom as well as the form of the J. It just is WAY off. I don't have any comparison's available right now, the autograph is no good though.

I have to firmly disagree here, the signature in my opinion is authentic.

ndestrucktable
06-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Rareair would be a great resource, a lot of the tips I have learned when looking at MJ's auto's have come from him. I guarantee you he will give you the same answer I am giving you. The auto is just no good.

STLHAMMER32
06-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Rareair would be a great resource, a lot of the tips I have learned when looking at MJ's auto's have come from him. I guarantee you he will give you the same answer I am giving you. The auto is just no good.

There are a few factors I think that should be considered before saying for a a fact it is not authentic..... The pen being used on a soft shoe surface with padding and indentations and also the fact that this appears to be an in-person style signature and not the UDA style that most are accustomed to seeing.

The 'M' looks correct to me with the bottom loop just hitting the indentation. The flow after that is consistent with MJ and the 'J' is the continuous loop that you often see with MJ in person sigs.

It's impossible to know with 100% certainty if you can't see it signed yourself but everything appears legit in my opinion.

jmwill82
06-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your opinion. I have submitted the imaged to rareair and hope to hear back from them shortly. As soon as I hear anything I will update.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the tagging?

SWPY
06-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I cannot vouch for the autograph or game-use, but base on the code found of the tag, the pair is certainly custom made for MJ. These pair are NOT the retail version. See the thread that I started below not too long ago. I own the same version but different colorway that I just cosigned to Grey Flannel for their upcoming Basketball Hall of Fame Auction. Hope this helps!

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33303&highlight=jordan+shoes

jmwill82
06-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks so much for your help! Do you have any idea what something like these can go for?

SWPY
06-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks so much for your help! Do you have any idea what something like these can go for?

It's difficult to say the market value of MJ game-worn shoes because there are only a handfull that hit the open market. I guess it all depends on the provenance, if you ask me. The last one sold at Grey Flannel not signed with Scottie Pippen Foundation LOA went for around 10K, but that was when MJ got inducted to the Hall of Fame, so that might have something to do with the price sky rocketing.

mb23
06-06-2010, 03:31 PM
I think we've already spoke James and like I said these are game issued Air Jordan's not retail. Also that signature is 100% authentic, it's an in person sig done very quickly on a bumpy surface so I'm sure it changed the lines of his stroke on his letters. Hope that helps James. As far as value goes, it depends on the timing and who's looking I've noticed that the price on that model fluctuates alot from 1500- to I guess 10k! Lol which I think is BS, but that's just me!..... Anyways hope I helped and you have my email if needed.

Regards
Mike.

SWPY
06-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I attached the print screen of the Grey Flannel Auction ended at 9/11/2009. It ended at $10,200.00 with buyers premium.

STLHAMMER32
06-06-2010, 10:00 PM
I think we've already spoke James and like I said these are game issued Air Jordan's not retail. Also that signature is 100% authentic, it's an in person sig done very quickly on a bumpy surface so I'm sure it changed the lines of his stroke on his letters. Hope that helps James. As far as value goes, it depends on the timing and who's looking I've noticed that the price on that model fluctuates alot from 1500- to I guess 10k! Lol which I think is BS, but that's just me!..... Anyways hope I helped and you have my email if needed.

Regards
Mike.

Mike I am glad to see that you agree with me on the signature. I am afraid that many people judge sigs off of the UDA style signatures they see!

fabes23
06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
The shoes are legit for sure. that's the right tag for his shoes that year. if they were "General Release" shoes the number at the top would start with 97 or 98. the sig looks a little off though.

jmwill82
07-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi All- Thanks again for everyone's input and advice. I would like to get these shoes authenticated, however I am wondering who would be the best person to take them to? I heard Upper Deck will authenticate Jordan items. Does anyone know anything about this?

Finally, can someone please tell me what season Jordan wore these shoes? The seller mentioned that he received them after a Finals game against the Sonics, however I have tried to photo match these shoes from that series and struck out. Any input would be awesome!

STLHAMMER32
07-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi All- Thanks again for everyone's input and advice. I would like to get these shoes authenticated, however I am wondering who would be the best person to take them to? I heard Upper Deck will authenticate Jordan items. Does anyone know anything about this?

Finally, can someone please tell me what season Jordan wore these shoes? The seller mentioned that he received them after a Finals game against the Sonics, however I have tried to photo match these shoes from that series and struck out. Any input would be awesome!

Save your money...No authenticator can guarantee you anything it is just their opinion. They have no way of knowing whether Jordan wore them or not. The only way to know for sure is if Jordan wore than them and you saw him physically remove them and hand them to you. You are much better off asking knowledgeable Jordan collectors (ones who have years of experience and well respected in the hobby for their expertise) who can identify them as being made for Jordan to use in a game, then by evaluating use and characteristics it can be concluded it has a good chance Jordan actually wore them.

About the year, Jordan would not have worn these in the Finals against the Sonics, that was the 96 year and he wore the famous patent leather shoes. In the Finals, the team went to all black shoes as well. If I remember correctly this model was used for part of the 97-98 season.

sportscentury
07-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Save your money...No authenticator can guarantee you anything it is just their opinion. They have no way of knowing whether Jordan wore them or not. The only way to know for sure is if Jordan wore than them and you saw him physically remove them and hand them to you. You are much better off asking knowledgeable Jordan collectors (ones who have years of experience and well respected in the hobby for their expertise) who can identify them as being made for Jordan to use in a game, then by evaluating use and characteristics it can be concluded it has a good chance Jordan actually wore them.

About the year, Jordan would not have worn these in the Finals against the Sonics, that was the 96 year and he wore the famous patent leather shoes. In the Finals, the team went to all black shoes as well. If I remember correctly this model was used for part of the 97-98 season.

Authentication based on a definitive photomatch would provide certainty.

STLHAMMER32
07-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Authentication based on a definitive photomatch would provide certainty.

A photomatch is a great way to authenticate an item obviously. That does not require paying money for an authenticator to evaluate the shoe though. It's not part of the service that they go out and seek every photo from every game to attempt to match the shoe. It's a task that would take hours and hours of research and even at that may not be possible.

Shoes are tough to photomatch, easy to style match but to find an exact match of these shoes to a particular game is one hell of a stretch and if it would be possible to do, its not the job of the authenticator. My point was that why pay someone to "authenticate" the shoe when a knowledgeable collector can take a look at see if its model issued for game use to MJ....

sportscentury
07-19-2010, 10:56 AM
A photomatch is a great way to authenticate an item obviously. That does not require paying money for an authenticator to evaluate the shoe though. It's not part of the service that they go out and seek every photo from every game to attempt to match the shoe. It's a task that would take hours and hours of research and even at that may not be possible.

Shoes are tough to photomatch, easy to style match but to find an exact match of these shoes to a particular game is one hell of a stretch and if it would be possible to do, its not the job of the authenticator. My point was that why pay someone to "authenticate" the shoe when a knowledgeable collector can take a look at see if its model issued for game use to MJ....

MeiGray does photomatch authentications. I have owned basketball shoes that have been photomatch-authenticated by MeiGray. Shoes are tougher than jerseys to photomatch, I agree, but when you are working with high resolution photos, such as MeiGray has access to through their contract with Getty, it can be done in many cases. The vast majority of collectors do not have access to the high resolution images owned by Getty.

I agree with your general point that authentications are often a waste of money, but true photomatch authentication is an undeniable exception. Once you start photomatching with high resolution images, it irreversibly changes your perspective on and approach to collecting. Other than getting the jersey or shoes directly from the player as he walks off the hardwood, there is nothing that compares to it. Of course, there are many, many good items that cannot be photomatched, so this type of authentication is far from the "be all end all" of collecting. As for these Jordan shoes, I do not know whether such an authentication service would be useful, but wanted to point it out as a possible option.

mbenga28
07-19-2010, 12:29 PM
-

STLHAMMER32
07-19-2010, 05:08 PM
MeiGray does photomatch authentications. I have owned basketball shoes that have been photomatch-authenticated by MeiGray. Shoes are tougher than jerseys to photomatch, I agree, but when you are working with high resolution photos, such as MeiGray has access to through their contract with Getty, it can be done in many cases. The vast majority of collectors do not have access to the high resolution images owned by Getty.

I agree with your general point that authentications are often a waste of money, but true photomatch authentication is an undeniable exception. Once you start photomatching with high resolution images, it irreversibly changes your perspective on and approach to collecting. Other than getting the jersey or shoes directly from the player as he walks off the hardwood, there is nothing that compares to it. Of course, there are many, many good items that cannot be photomatched, so this type of authentication is far from the "be all end all" of collecting. As for these Jordan shoes, I do not know whether such an authentication service would be useful, but wanted to point it out as a possible option.

Things have definately changed in that way, photomatches are possible even on items that are tough when you have high res photos and videos. Most of the items I have seen with the photomatches are documented for a certain game and the research isn't too extensive to find photos from a particular game. When you have no idea of what game or general area of a game and its from 13 years ago....the chances are slim to none that a photomatch is possible.

I agree with you as well on the way photomatching has changed things...I have subscribed to mlb.tv for the sole purpose of matching some of the bats I have. Another reason I suppose someone would want something authenticated would be for selling it....alot of beginning collectors put alot of stock into the COA's and paperwork that is for sure. After joining this site and seeing all of the items "authenticated" that really aren't legit its changed my viewpoint on it....I'd rather work with someone who specializes in a particular player and his characteristics. There are some very very knowledgeable player collectors on this site alone!

jmwill82
08-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Hey Guys-

Wanted to followup with you and let you know that thanks to everyone's expertise and input, I decided to go ahead and purchase the pair of game worn Jordan shoes. I believe I found a style match from a game back in 1997 where the Bulls are playing the Clippers. I posted some new pictures of the shoes and would love feedback. Let me know what you think, good or bad:)

Thanks again for everyone's patience and help. This site is the absolute best!

mb23
08-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Congrats on your MJ gamer! It may be all down hill now. Look great and like I said sig is 100% legit now you can see a nice shot of the sig with the bigger pictures, I knew right from jump it was fine! Congrats again.

jmwill82
08-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks so much! I already have them in a display case and hanging on my wall. Now my biggest challenge will be to photo match them. I found a style match which I have posted but I cannot zoom in without losing clarity. I am pretty sure I paid way below their value which makes this find even better. Thanks again for all your help in educating me about these!!

jmwill82
01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey Guys. I appreciate everyone's help with taking a look at the shoes. They have been proudly showcased in my collection since acquiring them. I am a several months away from purchasing my very first home and am looking to part with the majority of my collection, including these shoes. I have no idea as to how I should go about selling them. Auction house? Ebay? Craigslist? I am not too familiar with Jordan gamers so I have no clue as to what I should be asking. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

nycpropain
01-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Hey Guys. I appreciate everyone's help with taking a look at the shoes. They have been proudly showcased in my collection since acquiring them. I am a several months away from purchasing my very first home and am looking to part with the majority of my collection, including these shoes. I have no idea as to how I should go about selling them. Auction house? Ebay? Craigslist? I am not too familiar with Jordan gamers so I have no clue as to what I should be asking. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Whats the Provence? That depends on the value I believe. Have you got them authenticated? How about the autograph? I think if you dont have any of these it loses value for the lack of each. So I would assume what you should be asking is the value, which is right around what you paid for them.

Bondsgloves
01-27-2011, 04:58 PM
How much do you want for them. Email me at klbaseball@aol.com:)

therealaxis
01-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Email me also if you are selling them kansascitysportszone@gmail.com Thanks!

mmonte4
01-27-2011, 05:49 PM
i'm interested! please email me as well. thanks. klhunter84@yahoo.com

jmwill82
01-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Thanks for everyone's interest. I have responded via E-mail to all who have asked. I do plan on selling these and would rather see them go to a valued forum member then on E-bay.

dplettn
01-29-2011, 02:09 PM
I am interested. Would love to own something game used of Michael Jordan.

plettner@fuse.net

nycpropain
01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks so much! I already have them in a display case and hanging on my wall. Now my biggest challenge will be to photo match them. I found a style match which I have posted but I cannot zoom in without losing clarity. I am pretty sure I paid way below their value which makes this find even better. Thanks again for all your help in educating me about these!!

I just noticed the sneakers you posted are different than the ones in the photograph, so it not a style match for that photo. For one the black circle on the rear is missing on the photo also the leather pattern is completely different.

And you missed my question did you ever find someone to authenticate them? How about the autograph?

BU54CB
01-29-2011, 05:13 PM
I just noticed the sneakers you posted are different than the ones in the photograph, so it not a style match for that photo. For one the black circle on the rear is missing on the photo also the leather pattern is completely different.

And you missed my question did you ever find someone to authenticate them? How about the autograph?

The black circle is actually greenish yellow and and transparent that has a logo inside. It is placed near the back of the shoe and can't be seen in the photo that was posted. How can you even see a leather pattern in the photo the OP posted?

nycpropain
01-29-2011, 07:23 PM
The black circle is actually greenish yellow and and transparent that has a logo inside. It is placed near the back of the shoe and can't be seen in the photo that was posted. How can you even see a leather pattern in the photo the OP posted?

For some reason the autographed picture never loaded on my pc so the shot with both side by side I thought was both the inside and outside of the sneakers. I now know from reloading the pictures that it is a style match since I was comparing the outside to the inside. And you can see then the white leather wouldn't match up. I made a mistake.

ichieh
02-14-2022, 03:55 AM
Heritage auction is offering a pair of photomatched game worn air jordan 1. from the photos, they
looked cery definite (manufacture defect, missing an eyelet on the right shoe)

https://sports.ha.com/itm/basketball-collectibles/others/1986-michael-jordan-game-worn-and-signed-nike-air-jordan-1-sneakers-photo-matched-/a/50052-80099.s?ic2=myconsignmentspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyConsignment-112816