PDA

View Full Version : Game Used vs. Game Issued ...Opinions needed

Billy77
06-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Hello GUU...

Just wanted to see what everyone's opinion was on collecting game used bats vs. game issued bats. I have been getting into collecting bats now and see the huge difference in prices between the two. Looking to see personal preferences and pros and cons between them.

Thanks,

Bill

Fnazxc0114
06-02-2010, 09:19 PM
I prefer game used bats, but i can see the idea of collecting issued bats. They look clean and they also present well in my opinion.

joelsabi
06-02-2010, 09:39 PM
below is a nice post on game issued bat as one person in the thread collects game issued bats. Brianborsh may be the man to contact for advice if your collection goes in that direction.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=22714&highlight=issued+bat+collect

CampWest
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I strongly prefer game used. Though I would consider autographed game issued of certain players if the price was very good.

I want the most beat to heck, tarred, ball marked, cleat marked bats I can find. I don't mind broken bats, I don't mind them cleaved in two. I do prefer there not be pieces missing.

My reasoning is that I want a bat a player used, I don't really have much desire for a bat they rejected and didn't use. The more it was used, the more history it holds.

To me the interesting things are how each player treats their bats, their personal characteristics... what they write on the knob, how much pine tar and where and how is it applied, do they tape the handle, do they hit their cleats a lot, do they hit one side of the barrel or all over, do they use tapered/flared/large knob or knob-less.

I want a bat with character, not a bat that came off an assembly line and was never given a chance to hurt a baseball.

legaleagle92481
06-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I solely collect GU.

Here are the pros and cons of each like you requested:

GU

Pros:

Actually used by the player. You have the bat that a player you admire held in his hands and used during his actual plate appearance (s) and may have gotten a hit (s) with, homered with or drove in runs with.

It can be a historic item.

It comes with characteristics that are unique to that player i.e. pine tar, a tape job, etc.

Depending on the player can be scarce and extremely valuable.

Cons:

They can be expensive and are overpriced by some teams that sell their GU stuff.

It can be hard to tell when a bat was used or by whom.

The bat may be missing pieces or splinter in two from a crack.

Game Issued

Pros:

You don't have to worry about who used it or when.

It is cheaper.

It is cleaner looking for those who like that sort of thing.

Cons:

It was never used and may never have even been touched by the player.

It is less historic.

It may have cost less but it has less future value.

yankees506
06-02-2010, 11:47 PM
99% of my bats are game used, they are neat and its awsome to have a bat that was used by your favorite player(s). The 1% of my collection that is game issued are an ichiro and a hideki matsui. The reason is simple, they are hard to find and crazy expensive, a lot of japanese born players are. And they dont mean any less to me, i still get to swing and have the same kind of bats i see them use everyday.

panthrotc
06-03-2010, 12:05 AM
As one member said before, i as well want the most beat up bat i can find of the player i am seeking.

granted we dont plan on selling stuff of our favorite player or the guy we collect, but in the event it has to be done, your investment will thank you for acquiring a game used bat. for almost any player, you can find a signed game model bat. But, to find a nicely used signed Game Used bat will be a little more difficult and more expensive. But in the long run, it's a matter of supply and demand and there will always be a endless supply of game model bats, but not so with game used. I just like having a bat that i know my player used. So it's a matter of preference and budget. But once you land a nice game used bat, there is no going back. I collect McGwire. He's my all time favorite player. His stuff is still not cheap and the nice game used stuff is like the loch ness monster, you rarely see it. But i got my first signed bat of his in 2003, And to date i have aquired 3 more. 4 in 7 years, is not alot, but the 4 bats are of awsome use with 2 of them being cracked, 1 being a HR bat and it's inscribed and the last one is a legit 98 game used bat with solid province.

It's what you prefer, some people dont understand buying a used baseball bat, so you cant explain but once you get your first one, your hooked!

tigerdale
06-03-2010, 06:15 AM
I like them both....all the comments above are great...collect what you like & enjoy. I like a lot of post season bats myself...those are rare in itself & many are just issued...but still rare.

CampWest
06-03-2010, 09:12 AM
I like a lot of post season bats myself...those are rare in itself & many are just issued...but still rare.

I'd love to do that too Dale... but I collect mostly Royals :confused: :mad: :o

tigerdale
06-03-2010, 09:40 AM
I'd love to do that too Dale... but I collect mostly Royals :confused: :mad: :o
Thats too funny....I was there, believe me!! I'm a tiger fan....12 staright losing seasons & then a trip to the world series out of the blue!! Seeing a tigers player bat w/ '2006 world series' underneath his name is priceless to me!!