PDA

View Full Version : Almost another perfect game

Manram
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Armando Galaragga had it and lost it because of the ump. The man should be fired and lose his job

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
But ump blew it on the final play. I know others will be mad but i think its best that it was not a perfect game. Because with 3 in one month kills the whole event of a perfect game.

Rboitano
06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Wow thats horrible, I would have gave him a smack in the mouth for that call.

spartakid
06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
No way! I was at Braden's and I was still rooting for Armando, especially following Jackson's catch. I don't even know what you say, the last play and the runner was out by a step at least, WOW, just WOW.

cigarman44
06-02-2010, 08:00 PM
But ump blew it on the final play. I know others will be mad but i think its best that it was not a perfect game. Because with 3 in one month kills the whole event of a perfect game.

Dumbest thing Ive seen in writing today...dude got hosed

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Dumbest thing Ive seen in writing today...dude got hosed

Sorry its the dumbest thing but it's the way i feel. A perfect game is something that should only come around acouple times and not three times in a month.

Also what if the base runner was called out but on replay he was safe, that would be worse than what happened.

dcgreg25
06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Just finished watching the game....even as an Indians fan I am disappointed in the call. Even Jason Donald was upset about being called out...you could see him put his hands on his head after being called safe. Really too bad.

jjkraner
06-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Worst call I have seen in years.

cigarman44
06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Sorry its the dumbest thing but it's the way i feel. A perfect game is something that should only come around acouple times and not three times in a month.

Also what if the base runner was called out but on replay he was safe, that would be worse than what happened.

We have time limits on history now? And they should only happen when you say so? Got it...

He wasn't safe and wasn't called out so why even try to make an argument out of it?

Since we are playing what if's, I guess you would be ok with it if it would have just happened to Phil Hughes as well...

:rolleyes:

cjclong
06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I heard Galarraga was one out from a perfect game and switched over in time to see the play where the runner was called safe on what would have been the last out. He appeared to be so clearly out that the announcers and I wondered if Galarraga missed the bag. The replay appears to show he touched it and it was a good half step ahead of the runner. If the pithcer touched the bag, and again it sure appeared he did the batter was CLEARLY out. On the last out of the game on a ball hit to first where the pitcher is covering there is no reason for the umpire not to be in perfect position to make the call. You never want to accuse someone of doing something intentionally, but on a play that important where most umpires would have given the benefit of the doubt to the perfect game you have to wonder if the umpire just didn't want him to have the perfect game for some reason. I know its unfair to say something like that but I can't imagine how the umpire "missed" it otherwise. What kind of rep does he have as an umpire?

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 08:27 PM
We have time limits on history now? And they should only happen when you say so? Got it...

He wasn't safe and wasn't called out so why even try to make an argument out of it?

Since we are playing what if's, I guess you would be ok with it if it would have just happened to Phil Hughes as well...

:rolleyes:

I'm not going to agrue about my opinion. Sorry my opinion about a play is different than yours. I just feel it would be bad for baseball with so many perfect games. And i would feel the same way if it was a yankee player.

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I heard Galarraga was one out from a perfect game and switched over in time to see the play where the runner was called safe on what would have been the last out. He appeared to be so clearly out that the announcers and I wondered if Galarraga missed the bag. The replay appears to show he touched it and it was a good half step ahead of the runner. If the pithcer touched the bag, and again it sure appeared he did the batter was CLEARLY out. On the last out of the game on a ball hit to first where the pitcher is covering there is no reason for the umpire not to be in perfect position to make the call. You never want to accuse someone of doing something intentionally, but on a play that important where most umpires would have given the benefit of the doubt to the perfect game you have to wonder if the umpire just didn't want him to have the perfect game for some reason. I know its unfair to say something like that but I can't imagine how the umpire "missed" it otherwise. What kind of rep does he have as an umpire?

But do you think the umpire would want to go down in history for that type of call.

CampWest
06-02-2010, 08:30 PM

He wasn't so that doesn't really matter in this discussion.

The fact is, the runner was out. The bad call cost the guy a shot at immortality. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't feel this way if it was a Yankee pitcher.

There are bad calls in baseball. Its part of the game. A ball-call on a should be strike 3 gets followed by a single that breaks it up, etc. But they say a fielder never wants to break up a no hitter and an umpire shouldn't either.

Oh wait, the umpire was Jim Joyce... Yeah, I think he was looking for a reason to break it up. The guy always seems to call games like the game is all about him. He is horrible.

The rules are a little wacky sometimes too, I think there's been a couple guys that had no hitters through 9 or 10 innings, but didn't get credit because it was a tie game - only counts if its a complete game.

cigarman44
06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm not going to agrue about my opinion. Sorry my opinion about a play is different than yours. I just feel it would be bad for baseball with so many perfect games. And i would feel the same way if it was a yankee player.

No Camp,

He said he would feel the same. My ass...

joelsabi
06-02-2010, 08:42 PM
He wasn't so that doesn't really matter in this discussion.

The fact is, the runner was out. The bad call cost the guy a shot at immortality. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't feel this way if it was a Yankee pitcher.

There are bad calls in baseball. Its part of the game. A ball-call on a should be strike 3 gets followed by a single that breaks it up, etc. But they say a fielder never wants to break up a no hitter and an umpire shouldn't either.

Oh wait, the umpire was Jim Joyce... Yeah, I think he was looking for a reason to break it up. The guy always seems to call games like the game is all about him. He is horrible.

The rules are a little wacky sometimes too, I think there's been a couple guys that had no hitters through 9 or 10 innings, but didn't get credit because it was a tie game - only counts if its a complete game.

i think there has been 6-7 times where a pitcher had a perfect game thru the 9th but the team could not score a run for him. perfect games are as much a combination of skill and luck.

read this book 27 Men Out for details on an umpire role in a perfect game.
http://www.amazon.com/27-Men-Out-Baseballs-Perfect/dp/0743446070/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275529252&sr=1-6

flota89
06-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Are you even reading what your typing? Your saying you dont want a perfect game because it would be the third in the month? Seriously? So does that make it any more or less difficult? Come on now...

eisenreich8
06-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Some unsolicited observations:

Jim Joyce has 22 years as an MLB ump. ESPN analysts tonight said he would from here on out always be pointed at and spoken of as the guy who robbed Gallarraga of a perfect game.

Joyce has a face I would slap even if I didn't know the guy.

Jim Leyland fired off on Joyce like he was definitely gonna get some blood. All the Tigers players/coaches/manager on the field who lost their cool and simply verbally assailed Jim Joyce showed tremendous restraint. I would have been a Cabrera many-fold and probably worse.

The runner was definitely out. Not even close, even on TV as it happened. You are so rooting for this dramatic final play's success and I just had a flashbulb go off like it was Game 6 of the '86 WS and Mookie just hit the grounder. Stunning, irreversible finality.

My head is hurting and I'm going to bed. Good night.

camarokids
06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
It isn't even close.

The guy was out!!!!

Selig should overturn the umps decision and make it a perfect game!!!!!

Grow a set Bud and do what it right for the game!

Instant replay is badly needed in baseball, give each manager two or three challenges per game...........

flota89
06-02-2010, 08:56 PM
It isn't even close.

The guy was out!!!!

Selig should overturn the umps decision and make it a perfect game!!!!!

Grow a set Bud and do what it right for the game!

Instant replay is badly needed in baseball, give each manager two or three challenges per game...........
I was just saying to my family that I wish they could overturn that. I'm not sure what I think about replay yet, but it really looks nice after an ump messes something that big up.

camarokids
06-02-2010, 08:57 PM
BTW, even MLB.com has the story line right.....

"Missed call ends Galarraga's perfect bid"

Here's a link to see replay......

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100602&content_id=10727590&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 09:00 PM
We don't need more of mlb instant replay or challenges, only for homeruns.

camarokids
06-02-2010, 09:04 PM
We don't need more of mlb instant replay or challenges, only for homeruns.

When the umps don't screw up anymore, I will agree with you......

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 09:10 PM

It's part of the game. God why don't we just change all the rules and the name of the game. Did they have replay back in the 1920's and before that. That was real baseball and now we have pretty much a watered down version. I'm sure we can come up with computers that show a ball and strike and get rid of the home plate umpire in all.

flota89
06-02-2010, 09:13 PM
It's part of the game. God why don't we just change all the rules and the name of the game. Did they have replay back in the 1920's and before that. That was real baseball and now we have pretty much a watered down version. I'm sure we can come up with computers that show a ball and strike and get rid of the home plate umpire in all.
A watered down version of baseball? You may as well stop now.

joelsabi
06-02-2010, 09:15 PM

umps will always screw up once in awhile as they are human.

one bad call to first should not allow every throw to first to be disputed. what next, a guy releases for home too early and that is reviewable? should every third strike be reviewable? it would be hurt the game, imho. ump screw ups will always be a part of the game.

imho, umps just need to be reviewed more often so the bad umps can be replaced and be held accountable.

camarokids
06-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm sure we can come up with computers that show a ball and strike and get rid of the home plate umpire in all.

I would be all for that.

Especially the way umps have to call their own version of the strike zone and not call "balls & strikes" by the rule book.

How often do you have umps changing the strike zone from one game to the next?

Pitcher's have to adjust from one game to the next according to who the umpire is. Same with hitters.

I think there should be a standard strike for umpires to use and not their interpretation of the rule books.

camarokids
06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
umps will always screw up once in awhile as they are human.

one bad call to first should not allow every throw to first to be disputed. what next, a guy releases for home too early and that is reviewable? should every third strike be reviewable? it would be hurt the game, imho. ump screw ups will always be a part of the game.

imho, umps just need to be reviewed more often so the bad umps can be replaced and be held accountable.

Not every call, as I said, give each manager two or three challenges per game......

Must be nice to be able to edit your own posts ;)......

STLHAMMER32
06-02-2010, 09:24 PM

They did not always have the technology available for it. Now that we do it is a discussion worth having. I think that the way they handle it football has added not taken away from the game.

I think that the strike zone should be left alone...but it sure would be nice to have a replay available for plays like this and balls trapped etc....a coach's challenge I think could be doable and not take away from the game. I personally dont think that the HR replays have, in fact Hamilton was robbed earlier this year when they felt they could rely on an umpires judgement alone.

joelsabi
06-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Not every call, as I said, give each manager two or three challenges per game......

Must be nice to be able to edit your own posts ;)......

Kinda like the NBA?

And it's nice that you are aware that I edited. ;)

joelsabi
06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
They did not always have the technology available for it. Now that we do it is a discussion worth having. I think that the way they handle it football has added not taken away from the game.

I think that the strike zone should be left alone...but it sure would be nice to have a replay available for plays like this and balls trapped etc....a coach's challenge I think could be doable and not take away from the game. I personally dont think that the HR replays have, in fact Hamilton was robbed earlier this year when they felt they could rely on an umpires judgement alone.

why not the strikezone? if you mess with the play at first, questioning a third strike is the next progression. its just bad for baseball imho.

legaleagle92481
06-02-2010, 09:41 PM
IMO MLB needs to do the right thing and reverse the call and declare it a perfect game. I would feel differently if it was not the last play but no way should the umpire be able to cost someone a perfect game with a call that was not borderline but terrible and undisputably wrong. As far as the argument that too many perfect games are bad for baseball, baseball is such a great game because anything can happen at any moment. Don Larsen can be perfect in a World Series game, VanDerMeer can throw no hitters in back to back starts, Mike Cameron can hit four home runs in a game, Jason Tyner can hit for the cycle, the Marlins can win the World Series twice in a few years and on and on. A perfect game is a perfect game and just because there were others lately does not make it any easier, imo it is one of the hardest single game feats to achieve in sports. To say that someone should rob someone of that just cheapens the game it is like saying well alot of people hit 50 home runs in the last 15 years so if someone has 49 the last day of the year the umpire should call a ball that is close to being foul but clearly fair foul to prevent him from getting 50 to preserve the sacredness of it. Such just sounds crazy. And why should those who have done it before get to have theirs without anyone ruining it while this player has to be prevented from getting there?

camarokids
06-02-2010, 09:48 PM
IMO MLB needs to do the right thing and reverse the call and declare it a perfect game. I would feel differently if it was not the last play but no way should the umpire be able to cost someone a perfect game with a call that was not borderline but terrible and undisputably wrong. As far as the argument that too many perfect games are bad for baseball, baseball is such a great game because anything can happen at any moment. Don Larsen can be perfect in a World Series game, VanDerMeer can throw no hitters in back to back starts, Mike Cameron can hit four home runs in a game, Jason Tyner can hit for the cycle, the Marlins can win the World Series twice in a few years and on and on. A perfect game is a perfect game and just because there were others lately does not make it any easier, imo it is one of the hardest single game feats to achieve in sports. To say that someone should rob someone of that just cheapens the game it is like saying well alot of people hit 50 home runs in the last 15 years so if someone has 49 the last day of the year the umpire should call a ball that is close to being foul but clearly fair foul to prevent him from getting 50 to preserve the sacredness of it. Such just sounds crazy. And why should those who have done it before get to have theirs without anyone ruining it while this player has to be prevented from getting there?

Very well said!!!

eisenreich8
06-02-2010, 09:50 PM

A great post. I would love to see this call overturned. It would do the game no harm and preserve the sanctity of perfect game #21.

joelsabi
06-02-2010, 09:53 PM

it would be cool if it was overturned. would love to have the second Perfect Game from a pitcher who happen to be Hispanic. Baltimore's Denis Martinez being the first.

scottanservitz
06-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Another Tribe fan here and my whole family went nuts!!! That guy had a perfect game stolen from him. That is just a shame!!!

STLHAMMER32
06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
why not the strikezone? if you mess with the play at first, questioning a third strike is the next progression. its just bad for baseball imho.

The strike zone is an area that should just be left alone. Balls and strikes can't be argued during the game and it should not be something reviewable just as some plays are not reviewable in football.

joelsabi
06-02-2010, 10:40 PM
The strike zone is an area that should just be left alone. Balls and strikes can't be argued during the game and it should not be something reviewable just as some plays are not reviewable in football.

Just saying that it opens a can of worm that I would rather just be left alone. Baseball has gone without instant reply for all these years and has survived. I like the human element of the game. Umps make mistakes. They are human. They do need to be accountable when they blow a play. I hope the ump admits his mistake when he gets interviewed. Just admit to the fans you blew it.

It is interesting how technology has changed the game. I bet it technologically possible to make a device that can call strikes and balls. The electonic eye in tennis comes to minds. It's very possible. But I would hate it.

The funny thing is now Houston fans will be attending more games to get the chance to witness a perfect game. :rolleyes:

yankees506
06-02-2010, 10:49 PM
wow i just made it home and that is crazy. Arguing Balls and stikes would make the games last wayyyyy too long. But i mean come on, this is a perfect game he blew. What would happen if this was the bottom of the 9th in game 7 of the ws and the bases are loaded with two out tied at one and a call is made like this would we not say we need instant replay for crucial plays? i know this scenario seems unlikely but before tonight would any of us have even considered a blown call in the bottom of the 9th with 2 out would cost a kid his pg?

LastingsMilledge85
06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the Tigers submit the tape to, I believe the Commissioner's office, to have the play reviewed and possibly overturned? The Brewers tried that a few years back when C.C. one hit the Bucs and had no such luck when it was clearly a hit, but in this case I would imagine that they would overrule the umpire's call.

joelsabi
06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the Tigers submit the tape to, I believe the Commissioner's office, to have the play reviewed and possibly overturned? The Brewers tried that a few years back when C.C. one hit the Bucs and had no such luck when it was clearly a hit, but in this case I would imagine that they would overrule the umpire's call.

You have a lot of faith in Selig's judgement.

"According to baseball’s rulebook, only the official scorer may change a judgment scoring call" so I guess its possible.

STLHAMMER32
06-02-2010, 11:03 PM
lost in this mess was an unbelievable catch in center to keep the no hitter intact in the 9th....wow.

LastingsMilledge85
06-02-2010, 11:03 PM

No hard feelings please take this with just humor (I have to), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

yankees506
06-02-2010, 11:11 PM
No hard feelings please take this with just humor (I have to), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

I saw this the first time you posted it on a diff thread and it made my day, you did it again. thanks mr. milledge

cigarman44
06-02-2010, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=LastingsMilledge85;203200]No hard feelings please take this with just humor (I have to), [URL]

classic!

jobathenut
06-03-2010, 01:56 AM
I would be very surprised if they don't overturn this and rule it a perfect game.I think the ruling will come out today on it.Just what i think.:cool:

gameused
06-03-2010, 03:52 AM
I can see if it was a bang-bang play, but it wasn't even close. The runner was clearly out!

Do you think that ump is prejudice? If it was a "white" pitcher on the mound, do you think the outcome would have been different?

Bobby

tigerdale
06-03-2010, 06:12 AM
I was there last night....28 straight outs!!

5kRunner
06-03-2010, 07:45 AM
it would be cool if it was overturned. would love to have the second Perfect Game from a pitcher who happen to be Hispanic. Baltimore's Denis Martinez being the first.

FYI: Martinez was an Expo when he threw his perfecto.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/07281991.shtml

cjclong
06-03-2010, 08:17 AM
I TOTALLY disagree with the post of Yanks12025, but there was NO reason to make a PERSONAL attack on him. I think its the people who attack others personally rather than use logic to argue with them who ought to either refrain from doing it or not post themselves. When I made the comment wondering if the umpire did want the mo hitterto take place for some reason I really meant was there something in his sub conscience that made him call the play wrong. This not a play in some 12 -3 game in late August between two teams that were out of the race. This was a very important and for baseball routinely easy call in a no hitter. If he missed one this easy and important it makes you wonder what other calls he is missing. And I hate to see racism attributed to someone without proof. Right not we have no more reason to think Joyce wouldn't have made the same horrible call if Verlander had been pitching.

gingi79
06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
I have this real stupid thing I do called "thinking." I look at a situation and based upon logic and prior experience make an opinion which is grounded in fact. If I make a mistake, I apologize and try to make it right. I'm human, I mess up but I also take responsibility for those mistakes.

If the Ump says he messed up and the whole world sees he made a mistake, can someone explain why this wasn't just overturned last night? Perfect game, no hitter, 0-0 in the 4th inning between two teams with a sub .500 record in late August. It doesn't matter. If the Umpire makes a mistake and apologizes and the call is overturned, that is called integrity. In a sport that seemed to be drowing in steroids for the last decade to have pitchers suddenly throwing no-hitters like they are Nolan Ryan is incredible. It says to me that maybe Baseball has cleaned up their act a little. Maybe it's not just roid induced hitting records.

Today, Bud Solig gets a truly golden opportunity to do the right thing for baseball. He also has a once in a lifetime chance to take his name out of the headlines for ruining the Game and instead for doing what was right to HELP the game.

We cannot look at the situation with an eye for what it may lead to. This is a once in a lifetime chance to see a grevious error and to fix it. It does not have to lead to replays or coaches challenges. It will however lead to a renewed faith that the Management of MLB stands for the integrity of the game, for making sure that a player who does everything right and earns his Perfect Game will not have it stolen from him by what amounts to a proverbial clerical mistake.

skipcarayislegend
06-03-2010, 09:13 AM
C'mon. Joyce shouldn't be fired for this. I know there are a handful of perfect people around here who never make mistakes, but my gosh. He probably feels worse than anyone about it. Hopefully ole Bud will do the right thing and reverse the call.

Perfect games are bad for baseball? LMAO. Funniest thing I've heard in weeks.

I can see if it was a bang-bang play, but it wasn't even close. The runner was clearly out!

Do you think that ump is prejudice? If it was a "white" pitcher on the mound, do you think the outcome would have been different?

Bobby

Bobby, you're kidding right?

Manram
06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
C'mon. Joyce shouldn't be fired for this. I know there are a handful of perfect people around here who never make mistakes, but my gosh. He probably feels worse than anyone about it. Hopefully ole Bud will do the right thing and reverse the call.

Perfect games are bad for baseball? LMAO. Funniest thing I've heard in weeks.

Bobby, you're kidding right?

As he should feel terrible........ Took away a perfecto from the kid.

skipcarayislegend
06-03-2010, 09:53 AM
"Galarraga bitterly sipped a beer minutes after the blown call negated his place in baseball history. An apology and hug changed his attitude.Joyce, in tears, asked for a chance to apologize after the Tigers beat the Indians 3-0.

"You don't see an umpire after the game come out and say, 'Hey, let me tell you I'm sorry," Galarraga said. "He felt really bad. He didn't even shower."

cjclong
06-03-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm not saying he should be fired, but he shouldn't be let off the hook either. There are plenty of nice people who get fired for not doing their job. There is no way this was a close of difficult call. In this situation why didn't he ask for help. I bet the second base umpire could have told him he missed it. And I had forgotten there is precedent for overturning a call even in the middle of a game. Remember the "pine tar" game where George Brett hit a home run against the Yankees and had it taken away on the pine tar issue on his bat. The umpires call was over ruled and the game was replayed from that point. Here it would not have to be replayed. Just a thought.

eisenreich8
06-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I have this real stupid thing I do called "thinking." I look at a situation and based upon logic and prior experience make an opinion which is grounded in fact. If I make a mistake, I apologize and try to make it right. I'm human, I mess up but I also take responsibility for those mistakes.

If the Ump says he messed up and the whole world sees he made a mistake, can someone explain why this wasn't just overturned last night? Perfect game, no hitter, 0-0 in the 4th inning between two teams with a sub .500 record in late August. It doesn't matter. If the Umpire makes a mistake and apologizes and the call is overturned, that is called integrity. In a sport that seemed to be drowing in steroids for the last decade to have pitchers suddenly throwing no-hitters like they are Nolan Ryan is incredible. It says to me that maybe Baseball has cleaned up their act a little. Maybe it's not just roid induced hitting records.

Today, Bud Solig gets a truly golden opportunity to do the right thing for baseball. He also has a once in a lifetime chance to take his name out of the headlines for ruining the Game and instead for doing what was right to HELP the game.

We cannot look at the situation with an eye for what it may lead to. This is a once in a lifetime chance to see a grevious error and to fix it. It does not have to lead to replays or coaches challenges. It will however lead to a renewed faith that the Management of MLB stands for the integrity of the game, for making sure that a player who does everything right and earns his Perfect Game will not have it stolen from him by what amounts to a proverbial clerical mistake.

Matt, very lucid and spot-on post.

Integrity is an operative word here. It's not like there is a gray area or an eternally vexing question of uncertainty. The man himself who made the erroneous call has admitted his major gaffe. So, it's not like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube. Make an over-riding administrative decision to reinstate the Truth and help lift the cloud that, IMHO, has darkened the baseball sky since ca. 1994.

I am over my personal snit regarding Jim Joyce and now hope that sensible thought and action prevail, issuing forth, of course, from the commissioner's office.

G1X
06-03-2010, 10:38 AM
As a first-basemen in my youth, my initial thought when I saw the controversial play developing was, “What the heck is Miguel Cabrera doing?”

Yes, the umpire blew the call, but it should have never come down to a “bang-bang” play. If Cabrera had played his position correctly and covered the bag instead of roaming halfway to second base, it would have been a fairly routine play for the second baseman.

One of the first things a good coach will teach an aspiring first baseman – immediately after teaching the proper foot-work and keeping your rear end out of the baseline – is to never roam too far to your right as it usually spells nothing but trouble. Those coaches can probably never find a better example than Cabrera’s misplay.

I am making no excuses for the blown call - and Cabrera did field the ball cleanly and made the throw - but I continue to be amazed at the lack of fundamentals at the Major League level. It's the little things like this that get you beat - or in this case, contribute to costing your pitcher perfection.

Just my view and intial reaction as I saw the play unravel.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchagne
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis items.

MSpecht
06-03-2010, 11:23 AM
It's a good thing that Joyce won't be ump'ing any of Stephen Strasberg's games beginning Saturday... I'd hate to see him put in the same position again...

Mike

xpress34
06-03-2010, 02:32 PM
As much as I would love to see this call overturned, it will not happen.

Selig is spineless - I mean you're talking about the man who let the All-Star Game end in a tie...

Everything about the way this game ended SCREAMS for it to be corrected and Selig is the ONLY person with the authority to do it, so don't expect anything to happen.

I mean it took Congress to get him and his cronies to take the Steroid issue seriously and unfortunately, I don't think the Feds will be calling about a bad judgment call.

I do feel bad for Galaragga and Joyce and I honestly don't think anyone feels worse about the whole situation than Joyce.

It reminds me of a scoring error back in 1991 at Arlington Stadium when i watched Nolan 1 hit the White Sox.

The 1st batter hit the 1st pitch line drive towards 1st base - Palmeiro stumbled and the ball went in and out of his glove... called a hit rather than an error. Nolan shut them down the rest of the game.

Kind of the opposite of this issue as it was the 1st batter rather than the last. NO, I wouldn't expect the scorer to go back after the 27th out to change it to a no-hitter, but on the LAST play of the game?

I'm against re-play, even though I do my own on the VCR - and if you do too, you might be surprised how many blown calls there really are...

What surprises me though, is if the play was even close that the Ump went with the runner in a no hit/perfect game bid on the LAST out.

Maybe Bud will grow a pair and do the right thing, but I for one won't be holding my breath.

Just my .02

- Chris

5kRunner
06-03-2010, 02:46 PM
It won't be reversed.

NEW YORK (AP)—Bud Selig won’t reverse an umpire’s admitted blown call that cost Armando Galarraga (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8140/;_ylt=AkYc017ZN0QKO9XfawAxXIipu7YF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8140/news;_ylt=AjKbTUMNSGLagsyC7KUqHOqpu7YF) a perfect game.
Selig says Major League Baseball will look at expanded replay and umpiring, but not the botched call Wednesday night.

Umpire Jim Joyce says he made a mistake on what would’ve been the final out in Detroit, where the Tigers beat Cleveland 3-0. The umpire personally apologized to Galarraga.

Against my better judgement, I will say I agree with the decision not to reverse the call. Not saying a third perfect game in a month is a bad thing. My feelings are: Joyce made the call as he saw it. The call was wrong. Oh well. Calls are blown in every stadium, every year. This would have opened the doors for future calls to be reversed. Hopefully this doesn't lead to more instant replay. Just my opinion.

Fire away. :D

godwulf
06-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Bug (misspelling intentional) Selig is spineless. Just when I start to have a tiny bit of regard for the man - as when he recently announced that the 2011 All-Star Game would remain in Phoenix, despite politically-motivated protests that it be moved - he fails to do the right thing yet again.

Incidentally, somebody referenced the 2002 ASG, which ended in a tie, and that is not a good example of Bug's spinelessness. Brenly and Torre had both depleted their bullpens to the point where they were in danger of getting somebody hurt, and you don't risk injury to win what is supposed to be an exhibition game. What was Bug supposed to do? Demand that the teams continue to play, despite both managers' expressed desire not to do so?

Back to the topic at hand, however, I am thoroughly disgusted. This calls for a huge letter-writing campaign, or something.

xpress34
06-03-2010, 03:27 PM
GW -

That was me that referenced the 02 ASG. ASGs in general are another topic all together - especially how the players are selected... ex: Tulo is 3rd in voting right now for NL SS, Rollins is 1st. He's only played in like what a dozen games this year??? They need to remove fan voting and select based on stats at a certain point... but I digress...

Just wanted to put in a link that just came up on Yahoo!:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Armando-Galarraga-receives-a-Corvette-consolatio?urn=mlb,245508

All the best -

Chris

godwulf
06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Btw, Chris, thanks for putting in a good word for me with Joe in Tucson. (I think it was you.) He brought up five DBacks prospects bats for me last weekend that I'm very pleased with.

xpress34
06-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Btw, Chris, thanks for putting in a good word for me with Joe in Tucson. (I think it was you.) He brought up five DBacks prospects bats for me last weekend that I'm very pleased with.

GW -

No problem. Joe is a great guy. I just wish we could have met while I was there.

I left a few messages here on the boards... maybe next time!

All the best -

Chris

joelsabi
06-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I was watching ESPN and they showed Gallaraga receiving a brand new Corvette during today's game. Also the ump Joyce congratulated Gallaraga prior to umpiring today's game and received a nice applause from the fans. Very sportmanlike behavior was shown prior to the game from all parties.

I think I read closed captions saying that Selig will not overturn the play too. They mentioned the only overturning in the past was the pine tar incident with George Brett.

jobathenut
06-06-2010, 02:55 AM
Seriuosly???? You are playing the race card,really???-wow:eek:

Bobby

camarokids
06-06-2010, 01:23 PM
If you watch the replay the ump was NOT even looking at the runner. He was looking at the first baseman and after he caught the ball, he calls the runner safe. Well, the runner doesn't touch first till after the ball is caught.

The outcome of the game should be changed! The first 28 out Perfect Game!

camarokids
06-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Seriuosly???? You are playing the race card,really???-wow:eek:

It is a legitimate question!

kudu
06-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Did anyone see this on CNBC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NkY2rFidJs

WOW:eek:

joelsabi
06-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Did anyone see this on CNBC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NkY2rFidJs

WOW:eek:

why dont old people get the benefit of the doubt when they say stupid things. jimmy the greek, al campanis, and recently helen thomas come to mind.

i like miggys take on the blown call tho.

kudu
06-08-2010, 06:37 PM
why dont old people get the benefit of the doubt when they say stupid things. jimmy the greek, al campanis, and recently helen thomas come to mind.

i like miggys take on the blown call tho.

Maybe this is why old people shouldnt be in charge in sports :D