PDA

View Full Version : Roy Halladay throws a perfect game

cjw
05-29-2010, 08:29 PM
I would love a ticket from this game if anyone has access to one? Thanks! chris

legaleagle92481
05-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Wow Roy was amazing today! Good to see he is finally on a winning team also. It is crazy how this young season has had two perfect games and a no-hitter.

cjclong
05-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Saw some video of Halladay's perfect game. Didn't look like there were very many balls that were close to being a hit. He's an outstanding pitcher. The Phils are fortunate to have him. Its funny, at the time Don Larsen pitched his perfect game there had been only a handful and now there are 20 perfect games. With the modern day offenses and smaller ballparks I wonder why there are so many (relatively) perfect games being pitched now?

godwulf
05-31-2010, 12:01 AM
I read that this is the first season ever in which two perfectos were thrown.

Aside from that, are perfect games coming around more frequently than ever before?

If so, does anyone have any thoughts on why this would be happening?

Could it be that so many umpires have been trained and conditioned to "give" pitches to certain pitchers - the big names, mostly - that it's become increasingly easy for those pitchers to get strike calls that they really don't deserve?

LastingsMilledge85
05-31-2010, 12:23 AM
This is the second time in history that two perfect games have been thrown in one season. The last time was in 1880 and they were thrown within days apart from each other. The reason why Perfect Games and No-Hitters are coming more common (if you want to say that) is that it looks to be like pitching is making a comeback and unless if you are the Toronto Blue Jays hitting is being more or less phased out, but not in its entirety. Given there are great young hitters these days, but there's just this new wave of terrific young pitching now with Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Yovanni Gallardo, Josh Johnson, Ubaldo Jimenez, and Tommy Hanson to name a few. That's just what it looks like, I could be wrong but that's my two cents.

legaleagle92481
05-31-2010, 08:56 PM
I would love a ticket from this game if anyone has access to one? Thanks! chris

Chris a full ticket is on Ebay now if you still are looking.

legaleagle92481
05-31-2010, 09:04 PM
This is the second time in history that two perfect games have been thrown in one season. The last time was in 1880 and they were thrown within days apart from each other. The reason why Perfect Games and No-Hitters are coming more common (if you want to say that) is that it looks to be like pitching is making a comeback and unless if you are the Toronto Blue Jays hitting is being more or less phased out, but not in its entirety. Given there are great young hitters these days, but there's just this new wave of terrific young pitching now with Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Yovanni Gallardo, Josh Johnson, Ubaldo Jimenez, and Tommy Hanson to name a few. That's just what it looks like, I could be wrong but that's my two cents.

Good point if you look throughout baseball lineups are not as deep as they were a few years ago. It could also be that being off steroids has effected hitters more than pitchers. Keep in mind this is the THIRD perfect game in the past 365 days. Buerhle threw one last July so 15% of all perfect games ever thrown have come in that span. Plus there was Ublado's no hitter.

cjw
05-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Chris a full ticket is on Ebay now if you still are looking.

Thanks! I have a bid in on one and just heard that the Marlins will be selling tix from this game starting tomorrow. chris

gingi79
06-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Thanks! I have a bid in on one and just heard that the Marlins will be selling tix from this game starting tomorrow. chris

I was going to post about that. What is GUU opinion of the Marlins selling tickets to the No Hitter a week after it happens? Aren't they just printing them up today? WHile ticket stubs aren't as lucrative as say game used baseballs, doesn't this kill any potential value of the real game tickets as teams can just print up tickets with the No-No's date?

Personally, I think it's a terrible idea.

cjclong
06-01-2010, 07:42 AM
I heard there were about 25,000 people at the game. Are the Marlins just selling the unsold tickets or are they selling duplicates?

legaleagle92481
06-01-2010, 08:37 AM
It is the Marlins there were probably plenty of unsold tickets that they can sell regardless of what the announced attendance was. If they were not originals what are they worth? IMO not very much. Are they selling baseballs also?

Jayworld
06-01-2010, 09:15 AM
According to ESPN this morning, the Marlins will be selling the unused tickets from the perfect game at face value price. Evidently the White Sox have done this previously, according to ESPN, and according to the opinions on the network, most thought this was a good idea in our free-market society. In their opinion, it allows just about everyone that wants to buy a ticket a piece of history, so-to-speak.

It does bring up an interesting question, though. Would this be carried out further, one could buy tickets to any past historical games, such as Bobby Thompson's "shot heard 'round the world" at the Polo Grounds in 1951, or Denny McClain's no hitters, or "you name it."

Interesting topic, though.

cjclong
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Interesting point, although I doubt if there are any unused tickets to Bobby Thompson's "shot heard round the world" or any other games from ten, twenty, thirty or more years ago. The tickets would probably have to be creations rather than unsold tickets.

CampWest
06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
MIAMI -- Here's a chance to buy tickets to a guaranteed perfect game -- the one Roy Halladay (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3973) already threw.
The Florida Marlins (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=fla) will begin selling on Tuesday unused tickets to the game in which the Philadelphia Phillies (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=phi) ace pitched the 20th perfect game in major league history, a 1-0 victory over the Marlins on Saturday.
All tickets will be regularly priced at "face value" and on sale both online and through the Marlins' box office.
Paid attendance that night was about 25,000, a relatively large crowd for a Marlins' home game. By comparison, Florida drew a paid crowd of 10,115 -- its smallest of the season -- for Monday's game against Milwaukee.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

legaleagle92481
06-01-2010, 11:34 PM
According to ESPN this morning, the Marlins will be selling the unused tickets from the perfect game at face value price. Evidently the White Sox have done this previously, according to ESPN, and according to the opinions on the network, most thought this was a good idea in our free-market society. In their opinion, it allows just about everyone that wants to buy a ticket a piece of history, so-to-speak.

It does bring up an interesting question, though. Would this be carried out further, one could buy tickets to any past historical games, such as Bobby Thompson's "shot heard 'round the world" at the Polo Grounds in 1951, or Denny McClain's no hitters, or "you name it."

Interesting topic, though.

i dont understand the whole face value thing. i have never been to that stadium but aren't the tickets vastly different prices like other stadiums? so in that case for a game that is past one ticket goes for 20 and another goes for 200. which sounds odd.