PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Repair This Bat? Is It Repairable?

flota89
05-29-2010, 02:40 PM
The bat is cracked pretty good and some pieces are sticking out as you can see so the crack is not flat. No pieces are missing.The bat doesnt really bend much so I cant seem to get them to snap together. Is there a way I can repair this? I think it would look much better.

I really don't know where to start on this one. I have some experience repairing bats but nothing like this one.

flota89
05-29-2010, 03:01 PM
I have done some research and found that using a dremel tool might help. Is this true? If so, any details on what to do?

spartakid
05-29-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm not a repair expert, but I'll throw my opinion out there. I think I'd leave it alone and not repair it. It seems that it would take a lot of product (glue or whatever) to get it all together, if a complete repair is even possible. And then, it would probably be pretty noticeable after the repair that it was repaired. So I would personally just leave the bat as it is.

HawaiiSportsNut
05-29-2010, 05:10 PM
The bat can easily be repaired. All you need is wood glue, a sharp X-Acto knife to cut away loose splinters, & few wood clamps.

Like Ricardo (spartakid) said, it's best to leave the bat alone. I have repaired only 2 of my bats, only because it would have fallen apart & I didn't want to have tape around it. Other than that I like to leave my bats as they are.

Rick

camarokids
05-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Put it in a bat tube and leave it alone!

Krausmann
05-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I'd e-mail the photos to Fred Lowman. fredlowman@snet.net He can advise you on the best approach. He will also fix it for you if you like. - Tom

RRexpressfan94
05-30-2010, 01:45 PM
why do you even want to repair it? i dont understand why people do that, i think it makes it more unique to have a splintered bat.

LastingsMilledge85
05-30-2010, 02:35 PM
I have a bat with a crack very similar to yours, but mine doesn't have as many splinters but is missing more wood on the handle. Unless you want to take cuts with it which I doubt, I would leave it alone because there really is no need to glue your bat unless if it was in two pieces. That's just my opinion, I really don't feel it's necessary to glue a bat unless the handle and barrel are not intact at all.

Rob L
05-30-2010, 05:00 PM
I repair all of my bats and that one is pretty easy to fix. Wood glue and the wood clamps are all you need. All of my bats are in my office at work and people come in and check them out all the time. I make sure that the crack is visible, but able to be handled without any issues. Plus, it was cool when I met Albie Pearson and Bobby Grich, showed them their bats and they took swings with them.

flota89
05-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks to everyone who has helped out! I am not sure if I will leave it alone or not yet. I am leaning towards not repairing it.

LastingsMilledge85
05-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Remember too if you attempt to repair it, there's always that slight chance you may make it worse if you make a mistake in the process. I've never attempted to repair a bat before because one I'm not handy :D and two, I've yet to have a bat that really needs to be repaired.