PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Cabrera Rookie Marlins Jersey eBay Auction

Frink
05-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Folks,

There's a 2003 Florida Marlins' Miguel Cabrera Home Gamer on eBay right now. It's a handsome devil sporting his original number twenty, and with the 10th Anniversary Patch on the shoulder.

Unfortunately, it doesn't come with any certification. I asked the seller about where they purchased it, how they knew it was a game-used, etc., and his response was that he purchased it from a dealer he trusts, and that dealer is very careful about what game-used memorabilia they take in, so both he and the dealer feel very confident about it. He didn't say how the dealer came by it.

He provided several getty images of Cabrera from 2003, but they weren't actually photo matches - just examples of Miguel wearing such a jersey in 2003.

Any thoughts on what to think? Can anyone tell me what kind of tagging to expect? From what I can tell, it's a Russell with a "50" size tag coming out from beneath the manufacturer tag on the tail. I don't see any inventory tag.

Here's the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320537989101&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'd really like to take a stab at this.

Thanks,

Larry L.

justinbittner220
05-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Did you try searching on ebay for other marlins jerseys of that year and comparing the tagging? Maybe search on here for the same thing? The seller's feedback looks good, so it could be legit. Sorry I can't be more help.

spartakid
05-29-2010, 03:13 PM
I would personally check through getty and try and find a photomatch. There should be enough photos of Miguel there (since he's a pretty big name) that if there jersey's legit, you should be able to find at least something close if not an exact. The reason being that pinstripe jerseys are the easiest to match. Hope this helps.

WadeInBmore
05-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm not a Miguel Cabrera or a Marlins expert or anything like that but a size 50 seems pretty big for a guy who is criticized now of getting to husky. In other words I would think he would've been in a 46 or 48 early in his career. Also, there should/might be an interior tag on the inside right of the jersey along the seem where the front and back come together. Perhaps you could request a pic of that tag? That tag will/should have the "pro code" on it...0062 or something to that effect. The tag will also be a good gauge for how much use the jersey has seen. Good Luck and happy collecting!

wade

sox83cubs84
05-29-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm not a Miguel Cabrera or a Marlins expert or anything like that but a size 50 seems pretty big for a guy who is criticized now of getting to husky. In other words I would think he would've been in a 46 or 48 early in his career. Also, there should/might be an interior tag on the inside right of the jersey along the seem where the front and back come together. Perhaps you could request a pic of that tag? That tag will/should have the "pro code" on it...0062 or something to that effect. The tag will also be a good gauge for how much use the jersey has seen. Good Luck and happy collecting!

wade
There will be no 0062 inside tag (or any other code) on this jersey. Majestic is the user of those codes; this item was made by Russell.

I can't say for sure about the size, as I no longer have my files available. The rest of the jersey looks fine. Hartel Sports received a number of 2003 Marlins gamers rom the team c. 2005.

Dave M.
Chicago area

trsent
05-29-2010, 04:45 PM
There will be no 0062 inside tag (or any other code) on this jersey. Majestic is the user of those codes; this item was made by Russell.

I can't say for sure about the size, as I no longer have my files available. The rest of the jersey looks fine. Hartel Sports received a number of 2003 Marlins gamers rom the team c. 2005.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dave, I was just going to post the same thing as there is no wash tags on Russell jerseys. I answered the originator of this post's questions the best I could, but I cannot provide a COA for an item that didn't come to me with one. I offer that the buyer can send the item to MEARS and I guarantee it will pass, but other than that I cannot add anything to this item expect show what it is.

I looked for similiar photos of him wearing similar jerseys on various sites, but there was not enough photos to find an exact match. I couldn't find pictures from every game in 2003 as most of them were World Series pictures.

I wish I could provide more information, but I do not make up answers to please buyers - I provided the whole story I had about this jersey to the questioner and I hope I am respected for not making up a story to please them.

WadeInBmore
05-29-2010, 11:13 PM

Dave...

Awesome tid bit. Thanks very much for that bit of knowledge. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle :o

wade

sox83cubs84
05-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Dave, I was just going to post the same thing as there is no wash tags on Russell jerseys. I answered the originator of this post's questions the best I could, but I cannot provide a COA for an item that didn't come to me with one. I offer that the buyer can send the item to MEARS and I guarantee it will pass, but other than that I cannot add anything to this item expect show what it is.

I looked for similiar photos of him wearing similar jerseys on various sites, but there was not enough photos to find an exact match. I couldn't find pictures from every game in 2003 as most of them were World Series pictures.

I wish I could provide more information, but I do not make up answers to please buyers - I provided the whole story I had about this jersey to the questioner and I hope I am respected for not making up a story to please them.

That's the way I've always known you to do it, Joel...you always get a thumbs up from me.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Frink
06-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks to everyone for your responses - even if I can't confirm or deny this jersey, the information has been great; I appreciate it.

Joel, thank you too for your responses. You're absolutely right that I do appreciate that you have provided me with straight-forward answers that aren't simply an attempt to please me. You've come across as very unbiased.

As for the jersey, I'm still up in the air; I want to believe that it's legit, but I'm afraid that without any kind of verification, it's going to sit on the back of my mind as a possible fraud (not that I'm thinking Joel would have anything to do with it), as it seems like it'd be a jersey that people would try to reproduce. How would others feel in terms of this, if anyone doesn't mind sharing their opinion?

Finally, there's Joel's offer of Mears. It's a great offer, but unless I'm mistakenly thinking of other authenticators, can Mears really do anything to validate this jersey that someone here cannot? Haven't there been plenty of instances where Mears is mistaken?

Thanks again, folks. I hope to hear from you, as I'm still right on the line about this.

Larry LaHaie

gingi79
06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Larry,

All I can offer is my personal opinion. Joel is the type of guy I feel comfortable taking at his word and I bid on the item and was high bidder for awhile strictly because it's his. I say this because I believe he would be honest enough to give you the details not elaborate just to entice bidders. Sure he could have added some slanted spin to make it more "sexy" but instead he took the high road and let it stand on it's own merits.

Also, Joel is someone who I believe when he says "Have an expert show me it's wrong and I'll refund your money" Unlike other sellers who use huge nonsensical promises like "Triple your money back" (Good luck with that btw. PayPal won't even LET a refund come back that way and you'd get charged retarded fees if they ever actually sent you money. Of course since eBay doesn't allow it, the seller never actually HAS to do it. So why would they? ) Joel's reputation is one of integrity.

As I said, I believe he is a stand up guy who would stand behind his item. That's why I would and did bid on his items. And at $152.50 with 18 hours to go, this is a risk worth taking. The guy does have perfect feedback on over 13,000 items. :cool: