PDA

View Full Version : Who are you most pleased by so far in the 2010 MLB season

CampWest
05-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Its a holiday weekend and unofficial start of summer, so I'm countering this other thread with something more positive...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=35526

Who are you most pleased with?

CampWest
05-28-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm staying home, so I'll start with Mike Aviles.

Aviles had a great spring hitting about .400 with lots of XBH. Apparently that was not enough to win a job, because the Royals had traded Teahen to the White Sox for Getz and Fields. Fields hit the DL in spring and is out for the season. So the Royals needed Getz to succeed in order to salvage the trade. Aviles was benched. Hillman gave Aviles (the hottest spring hitter) just 1 at bats in one start over the first week and half of the season. Mercifully and stupidly, Aviles was sent to AAA. About three-four weeks later Aviles was recalled. In the next 21 games he's hit .345 avg/.360 obp/.476 slug with at least one hit in 18 of the 21 games.

Its typical of the Royals, Aviles hit .325 his rookie year 2008 over 102 games, was out nearly all of 2009 with an elbow injury. And he's given no shot until a guy (Getz) with a career .254/.314/.324 goes on the 15day - even then it took 2 more weeks before Aviles was called up (when Gordon was sent down).

BradleyERyon
05-28-2010, 01:06 PM
As an O's fan I must say there are lots of disappointments this season, or hell, this decade.... but I've been plesantly surprised with the performance of Ty Winnington so far this season..... .575 SLG, 13 HR, 32 RBI (hard to get when nobody's on base)

STLHAMMER32
05-28-2010, 01:07 PM
I'll go with my favorite NL team the Cardinals with rookie 3B David Freese. David has been clutch so far this season wih runners in scoring position. The concern with him was defense coming into the season and he has really done well even making rolen-like barehanded plays.

For my AL team the Rangers, I'd have to say Vlad Guerrero.... .339 batting average, 12 Hrs and 42 RBI's....the numbers speak for themselves. Glad to see him injury-free again.

vballGuy
05-28-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm a Jays fan, so very much biased here.

Jose Bautista -- 14 HRs leads the majors, and since last September, he's hit more HRs than anyone else in the majors.

Very nice surprise and a big reason why the Jays have hit the most HRs in all of baseball this season.

sox83cubs84
05-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Carlos Silva of the Cubs...6-0 in 2010 after being a bust with Seattle previously. The Milton Bradley trade looks better all the time...:p

Dave M.
Chicago area

justinbittner220
05-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I think Guerrero gets my vote...

and Mike Leake.

geoff
05-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Jose Batista from The Jays.He came out of nowhere And is Hitting Bombs like crazy.

Manram
05-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Although many predicted it, i would say miguel cabrera. He is just raw hitter

gorilla777
05-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Big Daddy Vladdy

And pretty surprising, as he looked like Gramps running around the bases last year. He is one of the most enjoyable guys to watch at the plate with his see ball, hit ball attitude.

Ben

LastingsMilledge85
05-28-2010, 08:45 PM
No question, Austin Kearns.

skyking26
05-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Austin Jackson and Miguel Cabrera are leading the Tigers in offensive categories....looking great!

legaleagle92481
05-29-2010, 01:45 AM
I think again it is too early to tell. I think Vlad is more a product of playing 1/2 his games in the Rangers' ballpark than anything else. If you notice alot of Rangers hot better with the Rangers than with other teams even those who appeared done. Last year it was Andruw Jones this year its Vlad and in 2008 it was Josh Hamilton.

jbsportstuff
05-29-2010, 09:11 AM
No question, Austin Kearns.
I've always been an Austin Kearns fan. Gritty player who gets it done.

legaleagle92481
05-29-2010, 11:04 AM
As a mets fan though I must say I am thrilled with Mike Pelfrey so far as well as the asian player they just inserted into their rotation who has pitched lights out although I cannot spell his name lol. Rod Barajas also has done well and Ike Davis is looking good.

Dewey2007
05-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I have been pleased with the play of Adam Rosales for the A's. What a great pickup he has been especially with all of the injuries they have had. I also enjoy the fastest homerun trot in the majors!

cjclong
05-29-2010, 12:11 PM
I'd have to agree on Vlad. Like a lot of hitters he has a park he hits particularly well in, which has been the Rangers park. (However I've wondered how much of that was because he was hitting Rangers pitching which had been pretty weak over a lot of those years.) I would hardly list Hamilton as a nearly done player, he's under 30 and is hitting around .290 with 9 home runs. (A replay showed the umpires cost him his 10th this year when they ruled it a double instead of the home run it was ) And I could go through a list of older players the Rangers brought in over the last 10 years to DH who were complete busts, so don't credit everything Vlad is doing to the Rangers park.

legaleagle92481
05-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I'd have to agree on Vlad. Like a lot of hitters he has a park he hits particularly well in, which has been the Rangers park. (However I've wondered how much of that was because he was hitting Rangers pitching which had been pretty weak over a lot of those years.) I would hardly list Hamilton as a nearly done player, he's under 30 and is hitting around .290 with 9 home runs. (A replay showed the umpires cost him his 10th this year when they ruled it a double instead of the home run it was ) And I could go through a list of older players the Rangers brought in over the last 10 years to DH who were complete busts, so don't credit everything Vlad is doing to the Rangers park.

I was not saying the park was the SOLE factor just that it was a major factor and I did not mean to say that Hamilton was nearly done just that upon becoming a Ranger he played much better than he did against weaker NL pitching the year before with the Reds. And yes some guys have been complete busts i.e. Richard Hidalgo. Vlad is a first ballot HOFer though so I don't mean to take anything away from him it is just I find the park effect riveting. Jayson Werth became a star in Philly's bandbox as another example. Or Johnny Damon hitting all those homers last year because of the short porch at the new Yankee Stadium. Or Juan Gonzalez being a beast in Texas then going to spacious Comerica and turning into a shell of how he hit the season before several years ago. Or Jason Bay going from a power hitter to a guy with three homers at Citifield.

brianborsch
05-29-2010, 03:44 PM
One person I have been impressed with is Tyler Colvin. Now granted, his plate discipline leaves much to be desired, but for getting limited playing time, he is doing well and he has a great attitude. He is heard many times just saying he wants to help the team however he can. For a guy who gets 1 or 2 at bats in a game, he is throwing up numbers that may warrant more playing time: .319 avg., 5 homers, .652 Slg, in 69 at bats. I am hoping he becomes a starter and wins the NL ROY!

chakes89
05-29-2010, 03:51 PM
The Cincinnati Reds

allstarsplus
05-29-2010, 03:51 PM
From the Nationals, has to be Matt Capps as the top closer in the MLB and Josh Willingham with the bat and honorable mention to Pudge Rodriguez.

Ian Desmond is showing that he possibly could be in the top 5 for Rookie of the Year.

skyking26
05-29-2010, 04:05 PM
From the Nationals, has to be Matt Capps as the top closer in the MLB and Josh Willingham with the bat and honorable mention to Pudge Rodriguez.

Ian Desmond is showing that he possibly could be in the top 5 for Rookie of the Year.
I know you guys need a first baseman, but the way Willingham is playing...he giving the Nats some strong reasons not to pay Dunn top $$.

LastingsMilledge85
05-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Desmond is having a nice season, but with the NL class of ROY candidates, he doesn't have a chance. It's really up to Heyward, Garcia, Leake, Freese, Castro, and maybe down the line Strasburg, Posey, or Alvarez. Guys that are having nice rookie seasons, but really don't have a chance are Desmond, Davis, and Heisey.

Schmoozer
05-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Desmond is having a nice season, but with the NL class of ROY candidates, he doesn't have a chance.

I believe Mr. Lang said "top 5". I don't think he said "winner", or "lock", or anything like that.

But thank you for your expertise on the rookie scene.

LastingsMilledge85
05-29-2010, 09:53 PM
I never said these were LOCKS, I said candidates which I believe top 5 would make someone a candidate right? Maybe, I'm off my rocker to think that, I don't know. Your sarcasm, as always is appreciated.

gingi79
05-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Martin Prado. Dude has been the best second baseman in the NL this young season. Other than Chase Utley, there is no one anywhere near him. Considering all the help Chase has in Philly versus the fact it has been the Prado and Heyward show this season in Atlanta, how can he not make the team?

In 49 games he is hitting .324, .454 SLG, 15 doubles, 4 HRs and 26 RBI

Odds are, Prado doesn't make the All Star game unless the Manager has more brains than the fans. I don't understand why the HOF takes All Star game appearences into consideration considering how little the average fan knows about the game, especially players outside their hometown. I think the time has come to have the teams selected by anyone other than fans. Hell, throw darts at the wall, pick names out of a hat, anything.

I'd even suggest placing all the names under pigeons in a cage and where ever the feces lands, they make the team. Even then, less players will be slighted than the current method.

OJ McDuffie was the best reciever in football in 1998. He led the league in receptions, had over 1000 yards for the only time in his career and was a formitable threat every time Marino threw him the ball. He didn't make the Pro Bowl because outside of Miami, no one knew he was more than a punt returner. Personally, I thought it was the biggest slight any of my teams had ever suffered. But if Martin Prado doesn't make the All Star game, it might be the biggest slight in the MLB this season.

LastingsMilledge85
05-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Prado won't make the All-Star team because of his name and team. Heyward has a shot before him which is too bad because Prado is one of the best hitting second basemen in the game. He showed last year that he can hit, and sure enough this year he is even better. That's why though the ASG's rosters should not be up to the fans because the majority votes on popularity. That one of many reasons why I really could careless for the ASG.

legaleagle92481
05-30-2010, 01:41 AM
I think unless he gets hurt or falls on his face Heyward will unamiously win the ROY. Stratsburg if he comes up will not have enough innings to get serious consideration, I think he will pitch in the bigs from around June 15th and they will essentially shut him down Sept. 1st to keep his innings count low. As for the Braves allstars Heyward is pretty close to a lock at this point, especially since not many NL outfielders are having allstar years and Wagner will go since it is his last year and managers love to pick closers and he has had a fairly good year. Prado is hurt by fact that Utley is a lock to start as always and they will probably only take one other second baseman.

allstarsplus
05-30-2010, 09:05 AM
I believe Mr. Lang said "top 5". I don't think he said "winner", or "lock", or anything like that.

Thanks for correctly reading what I wrote. Ian Desmond is showing that he possibly could be in the top 5 for Rookie of the Year.

The season is only about 1/3 over so there is a lot of baseball to be played and many Rookies still set to debut.

So with his list: Heyward, Garcia, Leake, Freese, Castro are on his current list, I certainly see the Possibility of Demond being among some of those names on my list.

CampWest
05-30-2010, 09:31 AM
They should just give the All Star starts to the guys with the highest salary*population at their position. That's about the best correlation to be found in the fan vote. :rolleyes: Select the backups on top performers based on OPS, RBI, Runs, etc.

Prado won't make the All-Star team because of his name and team. Heyward has a shot before him which is too bad because Prado is one of the best hitting second basemen in the game. That's why though the ASG's rosters should not be up to the fans because the majority votes on popularity. That one of many reasons why I really could careless for the ASG.

Odds are, Prado doesn't make the All Star game unless the Manager has more brains than the fans. I think the time has come to have the teams selected by anyone other than fans. Hell, throw darts at the wall, pick names out of a hat, anything.

schubert1970
05-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Miguel Cabrera is putting up Pujols numbers this year.

Go Miggy!!

nationals2k9
06-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Some guys I didn't see mentioned from a couple teams I try and follow... maybe more Comeback Player type guys:

Jose Contreras - has given up next to nothing during a time when Lidge and Madson have been on the DL

Alex Rios - has put up fantastic all-around #'s and carried the Sox single-handedly on a few occasions

Elvis Andrus - seems to be coming along even quicker than expected, no?

gorilla777
06-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Also worth mentioning Phil Hughes

Ben

Fnazxc0114
06-15-2010, 11:30 PM
I am happy about the season hamilton is starting to put together. I am also really surprised by vlad and colby lewis. I thought they were both washed up and they have proven me wrong.

xpress34
06-16-2010, 12:41 AM
As usual, the Rockies get overlooked - even in a discussion like this - where their ace - Ubaldo Jimenez is lighting it up...

Ubaldo Jimenez is tops in the big leagues for wins (12), ERA (1.16), opponents' batting average (.180) and hits per nine innings (5.50).

He may not have the Ks and he may not play for a 'sexy' East Coast or West Coast team, but he is getting it done this year in the Mile High City and on the road.

He's also in the MLB Leaders for hits, runs and WHIP.

So here's a Mile High tip of my cap to 'Baldo.

Manram
06-16-2010, 01:00 AM
As usual, the Rockies get overlooked - even in a discussion like this - where their ace - Ubaldo Jimenez is lighting it up...

Ubaldo Jimenez is tops in the big leagues for wins (12), ERA (1.16), opponents' batting average (.180) and hits per nine innings (5.50).

He may not have the Ks and he may not play for a 'sexy' East Coast or West Coast team, but he is getting it done this year in the Mile High City and on the road.

Not even mentioning Carlos Gonzalez. The guy is doing a lot for the team at the plate power, average, and speed

cjclong
06-16-2010, 08:15 AM
I would have to ad Josh Hamilton now. After a slow start he is hitting more like 08, over .300 with 15 home runs (and replay, which the umpire refused to use although it was available for home run questions, cost him one so he should have 16). Obviouly the Rangers park is good one to hit in, but I don't hear much talk about Boston hitters getting an advantage at Fenway or left handed Yankee hitters at Yankee stadium. While a park obviously has an advantage you have to be able to hit to average .300 in the majors no matter what park you play in.

legaleagle92481
06-16-2010, 01:14 PM
I would have to ad Josh Hamilton now. After a slow start he is hitting more like 08, over .300 with 15 home runs (and replay, which the umpire refused to use although it was available for home run questions, cost him one so he should have 16). Obviouly the Rangers park is good one to hit in, but I don't hear much talk about Boston hitters getting an advantage at Fenway or left handed Yankee hitters at Yankee stadium. While a park obviously has an advantage you have to be able to hit to average .300 in the majors no matter what park you play in.

Agreed. Look at Ryan Howard he just got a mega contract even more amazing considering he is almost 31, is probably universally regarded as baseball's top power hitter not named Pujols. He plays half his games in a bandbox and normally does not hit anywhere near .300. The other Philles are the same way Ibanez last year and Werth morphed into big time power guys upon arriving in Philly.

legaleagle92481
06-16-2010, 01:16 PM

At the end of the year he will get his credit in the form of a Cy Young what he is doing is amazing considering he plays in Coors and like Grienke's start last year he will win unless he suffers a major injury that costs him a month or he totally falls apart.

woody1351
06-16-2010, 01:37 PM
jamie garcia for the cardinals

kudu
06-16-2010, 10:28 PM
How about the Blue Jays leading the league with over 100 home runs

chakes89
06-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Scott Rolen

jbsportstuff
06-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Scott Rolen
Were you watching the game last night? Hunter Wendelstedt made some just unbelievable calls last night. One blown call at home and another huge called 3rd strike that was almost in the dirt. Fox Trax had the ball WAY BELOW the strike zone. The ball was nowhere near the strike zone.

Rolen has been tossed from 3 games his ENTIRE career....and Hunter tossed him last night.

Maybe I'm wrong..but Hunter had an axe to grind against the Red's last night.

xpress34
06-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Not even mentioning Carlos Gonzalez. The guy is doing a lot for the team at the plate power, average, and speed

Agreed - CarGo is another not getting his due...

'Baldo - now 13-1 with a 1.13 era...

- Chris

STLHAMMER32
06-17-2010, 09:35 PM

I don't think they are necessarily getting overlooked.....its just that the title said who are we most pleased by...if they are not a member of my favorite team it would be hard to be pleased with someone who is likely striking out my favorite team's players;). If the question was who is the best so far or who is off to the best start it would be a damn shame if he wasn't one of the first mentioned thats for sure.

yanks12025
06-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Robinson Cano, if he keeps it up he may win the batting title and maybe MVP.

CampWest
06-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Because the Royals, against my counsel, dumped him for 36 yo slap hitter Jason Kendall... I am glad to see Miguel Olivo leading the NL catchers in SLUG, and leading or among the leaders in RBI, HR, AVG, OBP, Runs, and runners caught stealing.

Incidentally, another catcher the Royals non-tendered was John Buck who is leading all ML catchers with 12 HRs. And Buck leads all catchers with 38 RBI. Buck is 2nd and Olivo 3rd in all of Major League Baseball for slugging percentage at catcher with at least 100 ABs.

Kendall meanwhile is only throwing out just 23% of base stealers (Olivo is like 54% caught), Kendall has committed 8 errors vs Olivo's 3 and Buck's 1, and Kendall is slugging just .315.

So I am very pleased by Buck and especially Olivo proving me right over the Royals brain-trust.:rolleyes:

Only 2 categories I can find in which Kendall leads Buck and Olivo... Games Played and Salary!