PDA

View Full Version : When did the Cubs sign with Steiner???

5kRunner
05-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I always thought the Cubs saved their game used stuff for Cubs Convention. I never went, but I always enjoyed getting stuff off ebay in the following weeks. I wonder how much stuff will go to Steiner and how much will be held back for the convention, if any.

http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/partnerships-home

platinum1
05-27-2010, 09:05 PM
I always thought the Cubs saved their game used stuff for Cubs Convention. I never went, but I always enjoyed getting stuff off ebay in the following weeks. I wonder how much stuff will go to Steiner and how much will be held back for the convention, if any.

http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/partnerships-home
WOW Those prices are crazy and Im sure you will never ever see half of that stuff sell.
Cubs items are soooo hard to sell now and it will only get harder to sell if they keep losing.
But it looks like they just signed because all the items are from 2010.

legaleagle92481
05-27-2010, 10:02 PM
They signed at the start of the year Mr. Reyes (member/Steiner rep) announced it in another post on here. I agree that Cubs stuff must be tough to sell, more than anything though it is because they lack major stars for such a big market team. Is Soriano a star anymore? Zambrano was pitching so bad he was sent to the pen at one point. Fukudome resembles Shinjo. And Aramis Ramirez and Lee are solid players but not near the top players at their respective positions. Obviously the losing hurts also as Edgar pointed out. The prices though look surprisingly good for Steiner when compared to their Yanks, Sox and Cowboys stuff but then again it is hard to see demand anywhere near what it is for that other stuff. They have alot of Alan Trammell coach-worn stuff at pretty good prices though and watching him back in the day he was always a hofer in my book so it looks like a good buying opportunity for trammell fans.

5kRunner
05-28-2010, 07:43 AM
I must have missed the announcement.

Some prices are crazy. Like $2500 for the opening day Fukudome. Not sure it would sell for half that. Other are definitely more reasonable. I've all ready got my eye on a few things.

I wonder how much stuff will be at Cubs Convention next year.

allstarsplus
05-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Do you have $1,400 for an experience of a lifetime?

http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/product/~pcategory=1001/~category=3035/~pid=CUBSEVE081510

BIGSTIG
05-28-2010, 10:33 AM
I heard rumors about this months ago, and was praying it would not happen. Unfortunately it did. The prices are just plain CRAZY. I mean a D. Lee road jersey for $1,250??? I mean I did not see one D. Lee jersey break $400 at the Cubs convention this January and that goes the same for Aramis ramirez. Well it is a 3 year deal with Stiener, so I guess I wont be buying anything cubs game used from current players for a while. I guess that could be a good thing will use the 6K (or so) a year I allocate to game used memorabilia and try to find some more vintage pieces.

trsent
05-29-2010, 04:37 PM
What are they selling common and team issued jerseys for? I sell most on eBay for $90-$100 and some sell and some sit. I can't imagine what they are asking for those but maybe it will help my sales down the road?

I'm sure this Steiner deal happened due to the new ownership of The Cubs.

whatupyos
05-29-2010, 04:58 PM
I know, me personally, I'd rather over spend on a Steiner item with a Cubs/Steiner or other team LOA than something on ebay with an "impeccable source" type deal. Whatever impeccable source means.

trsent
05-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I know, me personally, I'd rather over spend on a Steiner item with a Cubs/Steiner or other team LOA than something on ebay with an "impeccable source" type deal. Whatever impeccable source means.

Until this year, most of us bought items from The Cubs at their yearly convention in bulk without COAs. I don't think anyone is faking Paul Bako team issued jerseys so I would rather see a customer buy an item like this for $100.00 than pay Steiner for the same exact jersey.

If The Chicago Cubs themselves are not an impeccable source, I have no clue who is. No one was getting back door game used Cubs jerseys the past few years execpt from the players directly and those were far and few between.

platinum1
05-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Why would you over spend to feed the greed of Steiner with so much Cub stuff on Ebay right now with L.O.A from the Cubs sitting there for weeks with out a single bid at 1/4 of the price Steiner wants for there jerseys.
I just hope the White Sox never ever follow the same route that the Cubs just did.
I would hate to pay an extra $1000 for a stupid sticker that cant even be looked up.

whatupyos
05-29-2010, 05:44 PM
I completely understand. I should have been more clear. If you get something from a team that's one thing. What I meant was you see these people on ebay say "impeccable source" and when I question them they say mlb employee, or clubhouse guy or whatever. That could very well be, but it could also be a vauge way to be shady or make up some hogwash story to make one believe its legit. People fake all kinds of things, maybe not a lot but it still happens.

Schmoozer
05-29-2010, 05:47 PM

Aaron,

That means the crook who is offering it hasn't had any health issues to date, wears imacculate clothes, and was showered before he offered the item. Be weary of those "squeakers".

Cubsfan4life
05-29-2010, 05:59 PM
For me the Cubs signing with Steiner is both good and bad. The prices are going to be higher, but it is a lot easier to find exactly what you are looking for (ex. Jackie Robinson Jerseys) and most of the items have MLB authentication so you can look up the items which makes them a lot easier to photomatch.

BrewCrewSackers
05-30-2010, 10:41 PM
That sucks for Cub fans! $1000 for a Soriano gu bat!

yanks12025
05-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I see Soriano bats listed at $350 not $1,000.

yankees506
06-05-2010, 03:01 PM
For all the complaints about steiners cubs prices i just got a soriano gu mlb auth bat for $150!

http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/product/~pid=201010550510112

Hey who knew?! ;)

yankees24
06-05-2010, 06:32 PM
very nice pick up yankees506, I used to be a big Soriano fan but the photo of him flipping the bird kind of made me look elsewhere.

zooat2
06-07-2010, 08:09 AM
For all the complaints about steiners cubs prices i just got a soriano gu mlb auth bat for $150!

http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/product/~pid=201010550510112

Hey who knew?! ;)

- That had to be a mistake in pricing. I've been lucky enough to get a few pieces on their website that were obviously mispriced!

- CONGRATS!

legaleagle92481
06-07-2010, 08:55 AM
- That had to be a mistake in pricing. I've been lucky enough to get a few pieces on their website that were obviously mispriced!

- CONGRATS!

The bat he bought was broken in two pieces the price was probably accurate Steiner tries to get rid of bats they designate as "broken in two" because they are much less desirable than an uncracked or even a cracked bat in one piece.

zooat2
06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
The bat he bought was broken in two pieces the price was probably accurate Steiner tries to get rid of bats they designate as "broken in two" because they are much less desirable than an uncracked or even a cracked bat in one piece.

- Good point!. Although, some prices have definitely been inaccurate in terms of "Steiner Pricing"

yankees506
06-07-2010, 09:21 AM

I just never thought i could get a sori bat for that price from steiner, when i blew up the immage of the bat it looked like a crack, it was not in 2. But we will see when i get it.

legaleagle92481
06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I just never thought i could get a sori bat for that price from steiner, when i blew up the immage of the bat it looked like a crack, it was not in 2. But we will see when i get it.

It is a very good price. Steiner will classify a bat as broken in two if there is a small piece missing also. I got a Carlos Beltran bat once on the cheap that way there was a tiny piece missing from the back that is not even noticeable from the front.

yankees506
06-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Heres an update, i got the bat in today and it did have a clean break from the middle of the handle to the lable, it was already being held together with tape. The break was so clean that its barely noticeable! i still think i got a great deal, my one and only from steiner.

micah18771
06-10-2010, 11:18 AM
All I know is that a lot of the value in collecting is items being rare. Cubs game used items are no longer as rare as they used to be due to this. Higher prices do nothing for thew value of these items. Look at NFL Auctions. You buy something for $500 on there and you're lucky if you get $250 for it.

legaleagle92481
06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
All I know is that a lot of the value in collecting is items being rare. Cubs game used items are no longer as rare as they used to be due to this. Higher prices do nothing for thew value of these items. Look at NFL Auctions. You buy something for $500 on there and you're lucky if you get $250 for it.

Very true statement. However, Steiner does a good job of not flooding the market at least that has been the case with their Sox and Yankees partnerships. Yes there is alot out there but it is not like all over the place. I think it is because they probably only receive a limited number of items.

legaleagle92481
06-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Heres an update, i got the bat in today and it did have a clean break from the middle of the handle to the lable, it was already being held together with tape. The break was so clean that its barely noticeable! i still think i got a great deal, my one and only from steiner.

You did get a great deal. Steiner just discounts anything broken in two alot for some reason but it leads to some great deals. When you tape it together it is much less noticeable then a giant crack like many bats have.

mbenga28
06-10-2010, 03:56 PM
so why is a Paul O'Neill broken barrel still selling on Steiner for over 2k?

legaleagle92481
06-10-2010, 06:54 PM
so why is a Paul O'Neill broken barrel still selling on Steiner for over 2k?

How many Paul gamers are out there with Steiner COAs? Not many so they are hoping some rich Yankee fan forks over that kind of coin for 1/2 a bat and one probably will someday.

ChrisCavalier
06-11-2010, 02:24 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=35869

yankees24
06-11-2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=35869

Hi Chris, when we remit the best offers to you, do we also need to include our board names here? thank you!

ChrisCavalier
06-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi Chris, when we remit the best offers to you, do we also need to include our board names here? thank you!
Yes. Thank you for bringing that up. We will include that in the information going out next week but it doesn't hurt to let everyone know about that now as well. Providing your user name in the email offers will definitely help make sure we know who is submitting which bid.

Btw, I don't know if you saw it or not but I also tried to answer the question you asked in the 'Collector to Collector Classified' folder thread on this topic.

-Chris