PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ever feel addicted?

legaleagle92481
05-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Do any of you guys ever feel addicted to the hobby? Like you buy stuff you really do not want just to buy something or that you really cannot afford? I think I am going through this and I was just wondering if anyone else had the same feelings.

Fnazxc0114
05-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Nope, i dont feel addicted at all. I never buy anything i cant afford. I also quit buying equipment from random rangers players. I only collect the rangers so other than a few fielding gloves and jerseys ive bought there isnt too much expensive stuff out there. I generally save my money for buying at the fanfest, and the pink bat auctions. ONce i sold all my random player bats and equipment i felt a lot better about my collection, and now for the most part i only own items that i really want. Everyonce in a while i get the itch to sell my duplicates, because i dont see the point in owning two bats or jerseys of the same player.

mbenga28
05-26-2010, 12:39 PM
you can afford anything, it just takes time. I'd rather be in debt now but have a piece I really love at a high price, then letting it go and later on spending countless hours hunting it down again with no guarantees I will ever find it again.

Tay1038
05-26-2010, 01:04 PM
I think were all addicted to this hobby in some way; no matter what people claim. That's why its our hobby, right? Back in my teen days I was like you. I would just buy something, just to have something new every week. It turned out my collection had no flow and was just a mess. Someone once told me to enjoy what you collect but to narrow it down by choosing a theme. By doing this I ultimately reconstructed my collection as there was only one common goal and now I no longer impulse buy just to have or feed my addiction to my hobby. I have the opportunity now to save for months at a time to afford that one hall-of-fame caliber piece that fits just right.

Dewey2007
05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
you can afford anything, it just takes time. I'd rather be in debt now but have a piece I really love at a high price, then letting it go and later on spending countless hours hunting it down again with no guarantees I will ever find it again.

I agree with this perspective. Depending on what you collect there might be one of a kind pieces that you do not want to pass on and you can work on paying them off. This can get tricky though because if you collect HOFers or Star players only it seems there is always something available and it can become a problem if you are buying up everything in sight. I think one has to have some perspective on what is a piece they really want/need as opposed to waiting for something that might become available later on. I'll use the Jimmy Rollins World Series jersey as my example. I knew that it would come with a high price tag but I wasn't sure if it was an item I would ever have a chance at again. It might go into someone's collection who wasn't willing to part with it, possibly Rollins never makes it back to another WS, or it has a price tag later on that is much more then what I could have originally gotten it. With that said there are a few items I probably could and should have passed on but didn't and look back and say to myself "did you really need that"?

Now, if you are buying stuff just to buy it and you don't really want it then that is an issue. It has been proven that resale values on lots of items are not what can be expected and taking a big loss on items is not a good thing.

In any case, very good question because I imagine at some point all collectors contemplate this or their significant others question this when packages are arriving all the time.

CampWest
05-26-2010, 02:37 PM
I would not say "addicted", but I do feel withdrawal symptoms on occassion when I go a while without finding anything worth adding, get a little antsy to add something (aka money burning a hole in the pocket). Thats when I tend to pay a little more than I would like for an item, but its still items that I want in my collection. I used to have a "junk" problem with baseball & football cards. That was an addiction - a gambling addiction largely. It was fun to rip wax and get that big pull and I'd open packs just for the chase of a big hit. Since my switch to game used memorabilia, I don't have that sort of urge anymore. Though if they ever came out with a packaged game used bat box (each bat GU not 1 in 30 or 1 in 60 like Just Minors Mystery bats), then maybe I'd have an issue.

yankees24
05-26-2010, 03:54 PM
I used to but now I am just concentrating on one player, I do get very paranoid that my items might get lost in a fire or burgulary and can never never be replaced again because they are one of a kind collectibles.

SWPY
05-26-2010, 04:14 PM

I feel this way too. Sometimes I wonder whether I'm in the hobby only for the thrill of hunting. Once I get what I want, I kept it for a while, sell it, and try to hunt for something similar or something better. It looks like an un-healthy cycle. I'm thinking of quitting the hobby, but I have been a collector for over half of my life and it's tough! You can say I'm addicted!

JasonBanz
05-26-2010, 04:55 PM
It is safe to say I am addicted! My daily routine is normally checking GUU, checking ebay(saved seaches are Dolphins game used, game used helmets, and game used NFL jerseys), checking auction houses, and repeat. I am lucky enough to have a job to where I can surf the web while I am at work(like I am now). This hobby has got to be the greatest. Much better than coin collecting, stamp collecting, and knitting....combined! :D

gingi79
05-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Addicted? Me? Nah...... it's normal to check 3 different boards, eBay and other game worn jersey websites everyday for the same 5 players right?

Of course I'm an addict. Just like I'm a fan-atic. I go through withdrawl when my teams season ends and patience has never been one of my virtues. So when I type "Salo jersey" into eBay, I sit back and pray one of his shirts comes up. Thanks to board member Lokee who PM'd me today to say the NHLPA posted Team Finland's 2010 Vancouver Olympic whites, I saw a game used salo jersey come up for the first time since January 24th 2009 (I checked another site to see when I posted that I won the last Salo gamer listed in eBay. Addiction? HA!)

That's like 18 months between the last 2 times my favorite players' shirts became available. It hurts sometimes to realize how hard it is to obtain the items we crave. But man oh man! When one pops up for sale? Holy jumpin jack flash, what a rush. I just pray no one decides to drop retarded money on this jersey as the blue one sold for $1500. If I was truly an addict, I would have found the money for it. But I can't validate spending that kind of money on one of Sami's shirts especially since it was a one game wonder. Normal eBay/Classic Auctions/gwj.com resale price for a Salo jersey is $225. MeiGray sells them for $450 and if you wait for the Summer Sale, they drop as low as $225. That means with shipping, I could buy 6 Canucks/Senators shirts for the price of 1 Olympic. Considering his previous 2006 sold for $775 and couldn't resell near that price, I just can't see spending it. Of course if I was a REAL addicted fan, I wouldn't have thought all this trough, I just would have whipped out the credit card and got hiiiiiiigh (bidder ;))

murfsteve25
05-26-2010, 05:30 PM
I feel really addicted. I've spent a ton of money on stuff that i could see would be cool if i owned a sports memorabilia store, but since i dont...i need to just focus on what makes ME happy and not whats popular in the hobby.

dcrules01
05-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi my name is Scott and I am addicted to Game Used Mets items.The great thing about this hobby that we share is the fact that I have made some great friends who because of our passion for the Mets we will be lifelong friends.

Fnazxc0114
05-26-2010, 05:36 PM
I guess one thing that works in my favor is that i only collect the rangers. There really isnt too much high end stuff that becomes available, but thankfully the few times it has ive had a little something put back to make the purchases.

geoff
05-26-2010, 06:45 PM
I could say I am A Addicted to Game Used Items I guess.I check this Website And Ebay Everyday And am always on The lookout for Orioles items And A few other Players I collect.I got some help from fellow Members here on some Items I own.When I watch A Baseball Game alot I see myself looking at what Brand Bat And Batting Gloves The Players are using that Day or Night.I am sure others on here do The same as me but if you do let me know so I don't think I am The only Person that does this.

Thanks
Geoff

geof631@yahoo.com

sandiegosportsfan
05-26-2010, 06:46 PM
I would say that I am addicted. I collect players from a particular college and a few new ones go pro every year so I always like to get jerseys from every player. Mostly its minor league stuff bought directly from the teams but it certainly adds up. I try and be as smart as possible about it though.

TNTtoys
05-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Addicted to this hobby? No! Never!

But I once was addicted to Pac-Man...

cigarman44
05-26-2010, 09:51 PM
I could say I am A Addicted to Game Used Items I guess.I check this Website And Ebay Everyday And am always on The lookout for Orioles items And A few other Players I collect.I got some help from fellow Members here on some Items I own.When I watch A Baseball Game alot I see myself looking at what Brand Bat And Batting Gloves The Players are using that Day or Night.I am sure others on here do The same as me but if you do let me know so I don't think I am The only Person that does this.

Thanks
Geoff

geof631@yahoo.com

hear hear!

33bird
05-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Bull crap! We're all addicted. We're just in denial when we say we're not. See how long you can got without buying or selling something. That's the real test...lol.

mariner_gamers
05-26-2010, 10:15 PM
My brother whipped up a clever panoramic image a few years back. It was my giant scunion in the middle with all my bats around me. He titled it "The Definition of Addiction".

Mark17
05-26-2010, 11:40 PM
This is a great topic, and a good thing for people to be a little introspective about, since it could lead to a problem. I've been a collector my whole life, from toothbrushes (they were very colorful to my 3-year old eyes) to baseball cards, bottle caps, Hardy Boys books, Hanna-Barbera comics, Flintstones jelly glasses, and now GU bats.

With the bats, my passion is 1962-1965 Twins. Problem was, once I got about 25 of them, they became pretty hard to find, so I figured I'd also collect other vintage players. The theory was, eventually I'd find people collecting the other teams, and trades would be possible. The problem was, now there were thousands of bats that fit my criteria.

I've always found collecting to be most satisfying when there is a checklist - a finite list of items to look for. So, I decided I needed to limit my want list in some specific way. I also decided if I was going to collect bats, I should display them, and that my display wouild look better with some color added, specifically, baseball cards of the players. So... after looking at the bats I had at the time, and which Topps sets were most appealing to me, I decided I'd go with the 1965 Topps set. Meaning, I'd collect bats of players who have a 1965 Topps card.

This gave definition to my collection, while at the same time, leaving enough stuff out there to make it possible to add affordable items on a pretty regular basis. So, for example, if a common bat on ebay gets a little too high, I let it go, and pursue another one that I can get a good deal on. When I find Twins I need, I pay more of course, but I don't go overboard. I don't need to get every bat right now... I can be patient and good items eventually come along. For instance, I've been looking for a vintage Lee Stange bat (early Twins pitcher) for years. My Dad played cards with him once long ago, and he's always been on my most-wanted list. I just picked one up a couple weeks ago.

My underlying reasoning is that these game bats from the 1960s are highly collectible and desireable, and truly scarce, and therefore a great investment. My bats have certainly held up better than the stock market.

So, I think the key is, if you get things you really want to have, don't spend too much, and have boundaries around what you're looking for, if it is an addiction, it's a healthy one.

And what I really like is, compared to my friends who spend their money going on a lot of vacations, with quality collectibles you can spend money, but since the item will hold its value and likely increase, you not only have the item but you haven't really lost the cash. You've just morphed it into something cool, and if things get tight, you can convert it back.

buckeyegamers
05-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Addicted??? Who me???

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w14/buckeyegamers/Sports%20Room/DSC_0031a.jpg

Lokee
05-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Addicted??? Who me???

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w14/buckeyegamers/Sports%20Room/DSC_0031a.jpg

Nice collection looks like piles are starting to mount on the right hand side LOL

buckeyegamers
05-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Additional piles are a sure sign of jersey addiction!!! :D

CUTiger23
05-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Wow that is a lot of jerseys!

Buckeye, can you send me an email? I think you would be the right person to ask about acquiring an OSU jersey.

gavin.sj@pg.com
11-03-2010, 05:58 PM
DUDE -you are addicted, but acknowledge this as fact and thus, institute order on your obsession - I am truly impressed!!!!! I think we all have ways to justify these expenditure. key is cap plan (:-)...May I ask:
1. Where did you get that bat rack (I want one)
2. How did it feel when you got the Harmon K. bat (don't see in pix but know its there) & how did you justify premium $ vs other bats from team?
Great collection/story - Thanks, Steve

Dach0sen0ne
11-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm not an addict, I can stop whenever I want.