PDA

View Full Version : photo match opinions on a Yankees jersey.

yankees24
05-26-2010, 12:14 AM
I was very happy to see this jersey arrive today, as many of you know I'm a big Tino Martinez fan and am hoping to start my collection now. I purchased this from Steiner Sports and it was MLB Authenticated LH872831 as Spring Training Team Issued jersey.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4963/mlbb.jpg

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8646/tino2b.jpg

I was looking at some photos from Yankees Spring training and came across this one with Tino coming out of the dugout and waving to the crowd. Call me crazy but I kind of felt this jersey matches the one he is wearing in this photo even though it is registered as team issued, and just wanted your views if this might be the case. thanks.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8710/tinow.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8046/tino1.jpg

solarlottry
05-26-2010, 12:22 AM
looks like a match as the NY lines up with the pinstripes. I think it is quite common for the MLB shirts to be called game issued but be game used. There are quite a few posts on here that talk about this very issue. From the pics it appears you have a match though.

spartakid
05-26-2010, 12:30 AM
Looks good from what I can see.

yankees24
05-26-2010, 07:18 AM
thank you all for the feedback, I tried searching for more photos and didn't come across any. seeing that there are cameras behind him, I am assuming there is some footage from this game, possibly showing the back of his jersey. does anyone happen to have a copy or can direct me to highlights from this game, March 3 2010 Pirates vs. Yankees? any help is greatly appreciated!

mbenga28
05-26-2010, 12:40 PM
due to copyright, YES will not sell copies of Yankees games to the general public.

kylehess10
05-26-2010, 12:59 PM
It's not perfect, but you can still spot out pinstripes to match up. Good luck!

http://i49.tinypic.com/2rc2v4i.jpg

jscott0688
05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
This is the problem with MLB authentication. The Cardinals started doing that with their jerseys this year and the two spring training jerseys I have bought are both listed as "team issued" even though I've photomatched both of them. Unless the person that authenticates the jerseys directly observes the player wearing it, they have to authenticate it as team issued.

yankees24
05-26-2010, 01:11 PM
great thank you kylehess10! I'll take a look at the back when I get home from classes tonight. I just called YES Network and they said they don't sell games because the Yankees copyright them and to check mlbtv, is this where you got the screen shot from?

that's interesting to bring up jscott0688, I sent an e-mail to MLB Authenticated to see if they could clarify this but they're away until June 1. if this is a photo match Tino jersey, does it void the Steiner LOA and MLB Authenticated hologram since both say the jersey is team issued?

jscott0688
05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Regardless of if it was worn or not, the jersey was still "issued" to Martinez so the Steiner LOA and MLB authentication are correct. They are just being as safe as possible.

kylehess10
05-26-2010, 01:27 PM
great thank you kylehess10! I'll take a look at the back when I get home from classes tonight. I just called YES Network and they said they don't sell games because the Yankees copyright them and to check mlbtv, is this where you got the screen shot from?

Yup....it came from MLB.tv

There were only 2 games from that day that were available on MLB.tv, and luckily the Yankees were one of them

yankees24
05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Yup....it came from MLB.tv

There were only 2 games from that day that were available on MLB.tv, and luckily the Yankees were one of them

great, I will take a look to see how much it is to subscribe. did you by any chance also see any additonal back photos, in particular from the moment he waved to the fans in the same photo I posted (there seems to be someone filming behind him). I'm very grateful for your help, thanks again kyle.

Regardless of if it was worn or not, the jersey was still "issued" to Martinez so the Steiner LOA and MLB authentication are correct. They are just being as safe as possible.

that's a very great point jscott, though if this is in fact the same jersey worn by Tino it feels as if the "issued" desgination doesn't give justice to it being worn. and seeing how the community doesn't really hold "issued" items in positive regard, it feels a little awkward. I was thinking about also contacting Steiner Sports to see if they might be able to issue a new LOA authenticating this as game worn, if I can positively photo match it.

ferro39
05-26-2010, 01:35 PM
yankees24, can i ask where you found that pic of tino waving to the crowd?

i just picked up the berra from that game and would like to try to match or photo-reference it if possible

sweet tino by the way

yankees24
05-26-2010, 01:40 PM
yankees24, can i ask where you found that pic of tino waving to the crowd?

i just picked up the berra from that game and would like to try to match or photo-reference it if possible

sweet tino by the way

Hi ferro, thank you and very nice pick-up on your end, congrats on the Berra!

I looked on Daylife's website from the March 3, 2010 Spring Training game since that was the day the jersey was authenticated. There are some photos of Yogi too, but he's wearing a Yankees jacket. also hope you'll be able to find a photo that can help match your jersey!

http://www.daylife.com/search?q=march+3+2010+yankees

ferro39
05-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi ferro, thank you and very nice pick-up on your end, congrats on the Berra!

I looked on Daylife's website from the March 3, 2010 Spring Training game since that was the day the jersey was authenticated. There are some photos of Yogi too, but he's wearing a Yankees jacket. also hope you'll be able to find a photo that can help match your jersey!

http://www.daylife.com/search?q=march+3+2010+yankees

thanks

yeah, everything ive seen has him in the jacket and of course, the zipper is pulled up ALL THE WAY! :(

yankees24
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
thanks

yeah, everything ive seen has him in the jacket and of course, the zipper is pulled up ALL THE WAY! :(

it is, sorry about that but I will look around and let you know if there was a photo of him without his jacket on. I came on late and only saw Tino's and Yogi's jerseys on Steiner's site the other day but do you know if they also had the other former player's Spring Training jerseys, as I looked at MLB Authenticated and they also listed team issued jerseys for others liek Gossage, Guidry, etc.

jscott0688
05-26-2010, 01:52 PM
it is, sorry about that but I will look around and let you know if there was a photo of him without his jacket on. I came on late and only saw Tino's and Yogi's jerseys on Steiner's site the other day but do you know if they also had the other former player's Spring Training jerseys, as I looked at MLB Authenticated and they also listed team issued jerseys for others liek Gossage, Guidry, etc.

Yeah, it looks like Berra is wearing a jacket in all the photos I can find. Yankees24, if you give me your email address I will send you a couple of high resolution photos of Martinez that might be helpful.

kylehess10
05-26-2010, 01:55 PM
great, I will take a look to see how much it is to subscribe. did you by any chance also see any additonal back photos, in particular from the moment he waved to the fans in the same photo I posted (there seems to be someone filming behind him). I'm very grateful for your help, thanks again kyle.

I watched everything that was shown up to him walking back into the dugout and no other back shots were shown.

ferro39
05-26-2010, 01:58 PM

i first looked a few days ago and didnt see any of those guys...but then again, i also didnt see the tino (im assuming you had already grabbed it)

the berra was initially too costly, but steiner released a 25% off code today

yankees24
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Yeah, it looks like Berra is wearing a jacket in all the photos I can find. Yankees24, if you give me your email address I will send you a couple of high resolution photos of Martinez that might be helpful.

thank you very much jscott, my e-mail address is

tinomartinezfan24@gmail.com

thanks again kyle, if you have a moment would you also be able to please check on any Yogi Berra film from that game, to see if there might be a photo reference available for ferro's jersey? thank you!

yankees24
05-26-2010, 02:06 PM
i first looked a few days ago and didnt see any of those guys...but then again, i also didnt see the tino (im assuming you had already grabbed it)

the berra was initially too costly, but steiner released a 25% off code today

right, I ordered the jersey over the weekend and it was delivered yesterday so I hope you also get your Berra relatively quickly as well. perhaps some of the other members here picked up the Jackson, Stump, Gossage, etc and if we can establish some photo match for all of them then that could make the case your Berra was also worn. I might be mistaken, but when I saw the Berra listed on Steiner's site, wasn't it listed as being game worn?

ferro39
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
no, it was definitely listed as "game used"

if it wasn't, i wouldn't have touched it

ereyes
05-26-2010, 02:14 PM

Great pickup on both ends, I believe the issue is that since they are not players they would not label them game used. It happened with the Gossage, Nettles, Berra, Jackson and Martinez jerseys.

yankees24
05-26-2010, 02:15 PM
no, it was definitely listed as "game used"

if it wasn't, i wouldn't have touched it

that's the good thing, at least you'll have a Steiner LOA with an accurate description.

yankees24
05-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Great pickup on both ends, I believe the issue is that since they are not players they would not label them game used. It happened with the Gossage, Nettles, Berra, Jackson and Martinez jerseys.

Hello Efrain, thanks for coming here to clarify. did Steiner only receive the jerseys from the former players, or the complete uniform set (pants, hat, cleats, etc.).

ferro39
05-26-2010, 02:27 PM
and just on a whim, i checked the mlb # (which i should have done anyway) and they have it listed as "game issued"

steiner said the jersey was worn at some point, but that the authenticators werent physically at the ballpark when we did wear it (which likely means it wasnt on under his jacket). they said he probably wore it for pictures or during BP

as much as id love to have it, it's just too much to drop on a jersey that's registered as issued. steiner was cool enough to cancel the order without a problem

so if anyone is interested, it's back in play

ereyes
05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Hello Efrain, thanks for coming here to clarify. did Steiner only receive the jerseys from the former players, or the complete uniform set (pants, hat, cleats, etc.).

We only received the jersey. As to Ferro's point about MLB, its really not that the authenticator wasn't available, it's that Yogi is not a player so how can it be called a game used jersey. If Yogi wears a jersey to throw out the first pitch on Opening Day should that jersey be considered Game Used?

ferro39
05-26-2010, 02:41 PM
We only received the jersey. As to Ferro's point about MLB, its really not that the authenticator wasn't available, it's that Yogi is not a player so how can it be called a game used jersey. If Yogi wears a jersey to throw out the first pitch on Opening Day should that jersey be considered Game Used?

it's a matter of semantics, i guess.

worn is worn. is it "game worn," though? probably not

i would have LOVED to have kept it. i just foresaw a problem if i ever had to sell it down the line because the first thing anyone will do is run to check the MLB#

yankees24
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM

understood, thanks Efrain is Steiner working with the Yankees to obtain the hats or pants as I would be interested in these too if they become available.

I'm on my way home and sorry to hear about this ferro. maybe if I can show MLB Authenticated that Tino did wear the jersey they might revise them to say game worn, or event worn as some pointed out on another thread I made. I would still have kept it, not trying to sound negative but you don't know how many more Berra related game jerseys will be available considering his age now. the only other time he probably wears a jersey is Old Timer's Day and who knows if those might ever become available.

yankees24
05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Efrain, I'm sorry I don't have your e-mail address or I would send this to you in private but I just wanted to know for the Steiner holograms on both the jersey and LOA, they look somewhat worn out and internally broken as I can't see the company's logo on either of them and "Game Issued". does Steiner offer a replacement hologram sets or I would just have to leave it as is, I received the jersey yesterday and didn't touch any of the holograms. thank you.

ereyes
05-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Efrain, I'm sorry I don't have your e-mail address or I would send this to you in private but I just wanted to know for the Steiner holograms on both the jersey and LOA, they look somewhat worn out and internally broken as I can't see the company's logo on either of them and "Game Issued". does Steiner offer a replacement hologram sets or I would just have to leave it as is, I received the jersey yesterday and didn't touch any of the holograms. thank you.

Call me at 888-265-9298 email me at ereyes@steinersports.com

yankees24
05-26-2010, 06:39 PM
It's not perfect, but you can still spot out pinstripes to match up. Good luck!

http://i49.tinypic.com/2rc2v4i.jpg

here is a photo of the back of the jersey, can't really tell myself but what do you all think?

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2715/tino3.jpg

yankees24
06-01-2010, 08:16 AM
hope everyone had a safe and great holiday weekend!

just out of curiosity, do any of you know if it is possible to obtain or purchase a digital image from Reuters? it would be great to get a higher larger resolution photo of the Tino photo I made in the first post. if so, can you give me a contact to speak to for this? thank you!

Rob L
06-01-2010, 04:09 PM
here is a photo of the back of the jersey, can't really tell myself but what do you all think?

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2715/tino3.jpg

It appears to match. I was a little concerned by the pinstripe and the right bottom of the "2" but the game photo doesn't have enough resolution to show the slight gap. All others line up well including the stripe running through the MLB logo.

yankees24
06-01-2010, 04:46 PM
thank you Rob, fellow member jscott graciously sent another photo with great resolution of Tino in the dugout and I was taking a look at it and noticed what appears to be a photo match with the white thread stitching overlapping the outter pinstripe, also the second button looks to have some more of the white stitching above it. your thoughts?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03oFeDjegW6yo/610x.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8163/14082684.jpg

jscott0688
06-01-2010, 09:05 PM
I would definitely say that you have a match. I mean, even if they did make two Martinez jerseys, what would be the chances that the pinstripe patterns would be practically identical?

yankees24
06-02-2010, 07:23 AM
I would definitely say that you have a match. I mean, even if they did make two Martinez jerseys, what would be the chances that the pinstripe patterns would be practically identical?

thanks jscott, and for providing the great close up that might be the most distinguishing area for a photo match. I wonder which collector has the pants and cap, it would have been wonderful to own the entire uniform.

yankees24
06-16-2010, 07:38 AM
I received a response back from MLB Authentication:

Thank you for your e-mail. The Authenticators can only state what they witness. In this case, the item was only witnessed as being presented by the clubhouse. Team Issued is a designation by an independent third party authenticator who attests that the item was issued by the Club to its clubhouse. This designation is not intended to determine use of the item in any capacity.