PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Redskins Gamer Pertaining to Recent Sand Knit Posts

jdr3
11-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Hey Guys,

There have been some posts over the past few days regarding size and exclusivity tags on 70s Sand Knit gamers. While most Redskins models I have seen used the professional measuerments, 42, 44, 46, they occasionally used the collegiate measurements, Large, X-Large. Here is a 1976 Mike Thomas Road Skins jersey that has a photo match (the hand warmer is evident and the green towel accounts for the green stain on the jersey) attached that uses the collegiate systems, but also lacks the exclusivity tag. Upon close inspection, it does not appear that the exclusive tag was removed or fell off, but that this jersey was shipped without the usual dual tags. Just goes to show that there are all kinds of possibilities for tagging anomalies. Just my $.02.

-Jim

G1X
11-28-2005, 01:07 AM
Adding to what Jim posted, I bought a number of late-1960s/early1970s durene jeseys directly from the Detroit Lions a few years ago in which a number of them were made by Sand Knit. Not counting the old Sand Griswold single tagging, most of the Sand Knit jerseys were double-tagged. However, there were a few that had only the single tag as described by Jim, and it did not appear to be evidence where there was ever a second tag.

With regards to anomalies in Sand Knit size tags, some of the early 1970s tags actually spelled out the size and then put the number size in parenthesis. Example - "LARGE (42-44)". I have a 1973 Atlanta Falcons jersey with this style of tagging that reads "XLARGE (46-48)", and it can also be seen on the teams in the 1974/75 World Football League that were using Sand Knit (about half of the teams in the WFL used Sand Knit). There were some Sand Knit WFL jerseys that simply spelled out the size (or partially spelled it out). Example - "XLarge".

Some Russell jerseys from that era also show the lettered/collegiate sizing (i.e. ""XL") instead of the usual numbered sizing found during that era. Then there are the early 1970s Wilson durene jerseys where the size number is hand-written on the tag on some jerseys, usually the larger sizes.

So don't necessarily become alarmed whenever you see these anomalies.

Mark Hayne

apujols04
11-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Is it from you guys experience that sand knit tags are ALWAYS sewn to the jersey and never just glued?

G1X
11-28-2005, 11:00 PM
NO!!! Some are indeed glued on.

One of the finest Rams jerseys I ever had was a blue durene jersey of Rich Saul that had been through the wars exhibiting great games use and team repairs. The tags were glued on, and the top "Exclusive" tag eventually fell off (it was real lose when I obtained the jersey). I kept the tag in a drawer for a few years until I sold the jersey. I passed the tag on to the new owner in case he wanted to glue it back on.

It appears that tags were being glued on at some point on the backside of the 1970s, but I cannot supply more details on the teams, exact years, etc. as I didn't keep much from that era or take good notes back then in my early days of collecting. Hopefully, there are some football collectors in this Forum who have excellent knowledge on this subject or items in their collection who will be willing to chime in.

The confusion arises in that some of the store-bought replicas had glued-on tags, but some also had sewn-on tags. Often it was easy to tell the replicas simply by looking at the jersey. However, for the time period, Sand Knit made some decent replicas that could slip by as gamers to those not paying close attention to details.

Sometimes the tagging was a little different on the replicas, especially the bottom size tag. While the top tag might have the same or similar "Exclusive" wording as the game jerseys, the bottom size tag on the replicas could vary. I think that someone had previously posted on that issue, and there are probably guys in the Forum who can be much more specific as I don't have any replicas on hand to quickly point out the difference.

I had photos of at least two variations of the replica jersey tagging and if I can dig them out, I will post them. Also have photos of at least five various styles of Sand Knit tags used on game-worn jerseys that I will post if I can obtain permission from the person who supplied the photos.

One other note that might be of interest is that when Sand Knit was sewing the tags in the 1970s, all four side of each tag would be sewn. In the 1980s when MacGregor took over, not only was the shape of the top "Exclusive" tag different (slightly "shorter" in height), many of the tags were only sewn on the two sides and not all four sides (side were stitched on, but the top and bottom were not).

Like any tagging, a dishonest person could remove tags from a good jersey and put it on a bad jersey. It is always best to be sure that everything else looks right about the jersey and not betting the farm that it's the "real deal" based simply on the tagging.

Mark Hayne