PDA

View Full Version : old ballparks?

momen55
05-19-2010, 02:09 PM
are there any old ballparks still standing were you guys live? i am not refering to wrigley or fenway either:D
here in florida there aren't any that i know of. i remember flying out of miami international and looking out the window on my left and seeing the old miami stadium. i can't think of any that are still around.

LastingsMilledge85
05-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Not so much a ballpark, but is Dodgertown still standing? Last I heard a college team utilizes the facility.

ISA-Chuck
05-19-2010, 09:17 PM
There were few big stadiums in Florida until the 1960's.

To put it in perspective, the first of the big four Florida sports teams (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) was the Miami Dolphins who were established in 1966.

The ABA had the Miami Floridians (Florida Floridians 1970-72) in 1968.

Subsequently all the professional franchises come after this period. The only pre-WWII stadia were those used for baseball's spring training and college football.

Spring Training Stadiums were relatively small.

The original Gator Bowl*, The Orange Bowl and Tampa Stadium are gone.

The Citrus Bowl is still intact and is adjacent to Tinker Field (named for Cub HOF Joe Tinker) which was built in 1914.

Historic Jackie Robinson Ballpark (AKA City Island Ballpark) is located on the tiny island off Daytona Beach. It was also built in 1914.

The newest Florida professional stadiums are:

Pro Player Stadium (Joe Robbie) - home of the NFL Dolphins
Disney's Wide World of Sports - Orlando Rays / Atlanta Braves (spring home)
Raymond James Stadium - home of the NFL Buccaneers
Miami Ballpark - home of the Marlins
Tropicana Field - home of the Rays

*Jacksonville Municipal Stadium - home of the Jaguars - has sections of the original Gator Bowl in its construction.

xpress34
05-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Here in Denver there is one that I would love to find out a way to restore...

It's on the west side of town (Wheat Ridge, CO actually) and sits on the grounds of Lakeside Amusement park - their Wooden Roller Coaster is considered one of the Top 10 Wooden Coasters in the World.

From what I've been able to tell, it hosted Barn Storming games, House of David Teams and even traveling Negro League teams before becoming an open-wheel midget race car track in the 1950's.

It now sits empty on the end of the Amusement Park property fenced in by chain link with what appears to be scrap sitting in what was once the race track infield - and the pitches mound and infield before that.

I have some friends who use to be involved with DU (University of Denver) Baseball before their program was cut who have tried talking to Lakeside, but they say they have no interest in selling the property or having it renovated.

So it sits waiting for the remaining Grandstands and the Press Box to eventually succumb to gravity.

What a shame...

- Chris

G1X
05-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Rickwood Field http://www.rickwood.com/ in my original hometown of Birmingham, Alabama, is the oldest surviving professional baseball park in the country. Rickwood will celebrate its 100th anniversary this year.

Although Birmingham's AA-Southern League team (White Sox) vacated Rickwood after the 1987 season, the Barons schedule one regular-season game each each year at the old ballpark. It's dubbed the Rickwood Classic, and it is always played during the day.

The game is usually themed on a particular Birmingham team from the past, and each team dons the appropriate throwback uniforms. The "Friends of Rickwood" auction the uniforms after the game. The prices are reasonable for the most part, and the money goes to help maintain Rickwood Field.

The Southern League All-Star Game was held in Birmingham last summer. Although the game was played at the Barons current home park, the Home-Run Derby Contest was held at Rickwood the day before.

This year's Rickwood Classic will be on June 2 at 12:30 CDT. If you live in the area, I strongly recommend attending the game. It is a classic, old-style ball park with great views from anywhere, and watching a game with the teams dressed in old-time uniforms is like stepping back in time.

Rickwood is rich with history and is well worth the visit. It is open on most days during the year, and it is in use by local high schools and amateur teams during baseball season. The last time I was in Birmingham, there was no formal tour, but there was a self-guided tour that was especially enjoyable on a quiet day. No tour guides rushing you along or throngs of tourists stepping on your heels - just a nice day at the park taking it all in at my own own pace.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons uniforms, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

ironmanfan
05-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Rickwood Field http://www.rickwood.com/ in my original hometown of Birmingham, Alabama, is the oldest surviving professional baseball park in the country. Rickwood will celebrate its 100th anniversary this year.

Although Birmingham's AA-Southern League team (White Sox) vacated Rickwood after the 1987 season, the Barons schedule one regular-season game each each year at the old ballpark. It's dubbed the Rickwood Classic, and it is always played during the day.

The game is usually themed on a particular Birmingham team from the past, and each team dons the appropriate throwback uniforms. The "Friends of Rickwood" auction the uniforms after the game. The prices are reasonable for the most part, and the money goes to help maintain Rickwood Field.

The Southern League All-Star Game was held in Birmingham last summer. Although the game was played at the Barons current home park, the Home-Run Derby Contest was held at Rickwood the day before.

This year's Rickwood Classic will be on June 2 at 12:30 CDT. If you live in the area, I strongly recommend attending the game. It is a classic, old-style ball park with great views from anywhere, and watching a game with the teams dressed in old-time uniforms is like stepping back in time.

Rickwood is rich with history and is well worth the visit. It is open on most days during the year, and it is in use by local high schools and amateur teams during baseball season. The last time I was in Birmingham, there was no formal tour, but there was a self-guided tour that was especially enjoyable on a quiet day. No tour guides rushing you along or throngs of tourists stepping on your heels - just a nice day at the park taking it all in at my own own pace.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons uniforms, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Mark:

Good stuff......Wasn't the movie "Cobb" with Tommy Lee Jones (Roger Clemens makes a cameo as well) filmed there as well?

G1X
05-23-2010, 11:21 AM
ironmanfan,

Yes, part of the movie "Cobb" with Tommy Lee Jones was filmed at Rickwood. Roger Clemens and musician-Jimmy Buffett had parts in the movie and were on hand at Rickwood.

I was still living in Birmingham at the time and was hired as an extra. I spent a week at Rickwood being part of the crowd scenes. I had to go to wardrobe every day to dress for the part, and I even had to have my hair cut by their stylist so that I would look proper for the era. They dressed me in a 3-piece suit and a fedora.

It is not as exciting as it sounds as most of my time was spent sitting and waiting for a scene to be shot. Then it was shot over and over again.

I have never been a fan of Roger Clemens, but I will say that he was very friendly on the day that they filmed his pitching scene. During one break, he came over to where the "extras" were sitting in the stands and chatted and handed out autographed cards.

Jimmy Buffett was also a really nice guy during the filming. After they filmed his last scene, he offered to meet everyone on the set, sign autographs, and chat. That evening, much to everyone's surprise, he gave a concert on the field. Nice guy!

As for Tommy Lee Jones, I won't say that he wasn't a nice guy, but he was not one to mingle with anyone on the set. He would come out and do his part and then retreat to his trailer. He took his acting very seriously (as he should).

All in all, it was a great experience, but I probably wouldn't do it again (my acting career ended in the 8th grade when I was a not-too-convincing George in the Thornton Wilder classic "Our Town"). By the way, I watched the movie only once and could never find myself in any of the crowd scenes. It's probably a good thing that I ended up on the cutting room floor!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

ironmanfan
05-24-2010, 07:47 AM
ironmanfan,

Yes, part of the movie "Cobb" with Tommy Lee Jones was filmed at Rickwood. Roger Clemens and musician-Jimmy Buffett had parts in the movie and were on hand at Rickwood.

I was still living in Birmingham at the time and was hired as an extra. I spent a week at Rickwood being part of the crowd scenes. I had to go to wardrobe every day to dress for the part, and I even had to have my hair cut by their stylist so that I would look proper for the era. They dressed me in a 3-piece suit and a fedora.

It is not as exciting as it sounds as most of my time was spent sitting and waiting for a scene to be shot. Then it was shot over and over again.

I have never been a fan of Roger Clemens, but I will say that he was very friendly on the day that they filmed his pitching scene. During one break, he came over to where the "extras" were sitting in the stands and chatted and handed out autographed cards.

Jimmy Buffett was also a really nice guy during the filming. After they filmed his last scene, he offered to meet everyone on the set, sign autographs, and chat. That evening, much to everyone's surprise, he gave a concert on the field. Nice guy!

As for Tommy Lee Jones, I won't say that he wasn't a nice guy, but he was not one to mingle with anyone on the set. He would come out and do his part and then retreat to his trailer. He took his acting very seriously (as he should).

All in all, it was a great experience, but I probably wouldn't do it again (my acting career ended in the 8th grade when I was a not-too-convincing George in the Thornton Wilder classic "Our Town"). By the way, I watched the movie only once and could never find myself in any of the crowd scenes. It's probably a good thing that I ended up on the cutting room floor!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Great stories Mark!

I knew a guy who played one of the umpires and he had nothing but good stuff to say about the filming/production as well!

IMF

xpress34
07-14-2010, 02:05 AM
Resurrecting this thread with some pics of the old ballpark at Lakeside - these are as close as you can get to the Stadium - it needs lots of TLC...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Dsc04881-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Dsc04882-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Dsc04883-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Dsc04884-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Dsc04885-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Dsc04886-1.jpg

island_style
07-14-2010, 05:00 AM
Not so much a ballpark, but is Dodgertown still standing? Last I heard a college team utilizes the facility.

The former Dodgertown in Vero Beach, Florida is now operated by Minor League Baseball under the name, "Vero Beach Sports Complex."

I got to experience Dodgertown at a Dodgers fantasy camp in 2008, which was the last of the 60 years the Dodgers utilized Dodgertown. Playing in a Dodgers fantasy camp was something I'd always wanted to do, and I'm glad I got the chance to do it in Vero Beach (and not Camelback Ranch in Arizona, their current spring training home).

Holman Stadium was unique in that the home and visitors dugouts did not have a roof over them. Only a low chain link fence separated the players sitting in the dugouts from the fans in the stands.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com