PDA

View Full Version : anyone deal with this person?

momen55
05-17-2010, 11:03 AM
i will rephrase what i was asking in the previous thread in hopes of geting a response.
has anyone delt with joe petrole aka ebay seller jopa44?

momen55
05-17-2010, 01:42 PM
here is the deal with this person and we will see where it goes. hopefully there is some recourse. this guy emailed me that he has several knobless bats and that one is for sale, a kris krebs model M142.

per his email 5/6/10 he states "almost perfect with little use". i have all the emails from day 1. he emailed pics and we made a deal. that was over the course of 2 weeks. the bat arrived today and what a disappointment! no mention that the bat was cracked and repaired! there is no way he didn't know.

the back of the barrel was broken off and another piece put back in it's place! hell, the grain doesn't even match. as you can see, there is glue residue present as well as on the end of the barrel. here are the pics he sent me and pics i took. notice he didn't send a pic of the back because he was hiding the fact it was repaired.

i am not at all happy and i hate to get taken to say the least. it is worthless to me now. what have you guys done in this situation? as far as i am concerned, i will NEVER buy from this guy again! be aware!

Mark17
05-18-2010, 01:15 AM
I've acquired about a dozen bats from Joe. The first few were either ebay listings or straight purchases. Then I bought a group of 8 bats from him in one deal. He sent me a list of bats available in the price range I was offering, I made my selections, and the deal was made. There was a little confusion, as he listed Billy and Bobby Klaus, and for Billy he had both an Adirondack and H&B. So there were 3 Klaus bats we were discussing and in the end he sent the wrong one, but when I told him about it, we got it all squared away with no problem, and I was happy with the deal.

A couple weeks ago I bought another bat from him, and since then we've been working on a 4-4 trade. The details are just about finalized, so I should have my bats from him within about 10 days.

Bottom line: I've dealt with him and trust him enough to do so again, including this deal where I'm sending him about $1,000 in cash and bats. The minor problem we had, which was 100% understandable, was taken care of by him. He's a good and honest guy, in my judgement. I'll let you know how my current deal works out (which I expect will be fine,) and I'm curious how yours works out, too.

I just want top throw out something here, maybe not relevant as I'm making some assumptions, so please bear with me. It sounds like you wanted a knobless bat to actually use, since you seemed indifferent about the player, or any usage. In that case, of course you'd want it uncracked, unrestored, etc. But. most people who collect game used bats would never think of actually using them. So, if my assumptions are correct, you're buying a bat with certain requirements that are much different than what most of Joe's other customers have.

Specifically, in all my dealings with Joe, I have never asked him if any bats I'm getting are cracked, and he has not asked me that question about the bats I'll soon be sending him. To me it doesn't matter, in fact, I consider a cracked bat to be a sign of use, explaining why a player would've discarded it. Also, I have had a bat restored, similar to yours, where a piece of the back barrel was missing. While I agree, you should've been shown pics of the back, and been told it had been repaired, to me that repair job, while not great, doesn't look too bad. Frankly, if that bat was, say, a 1961-64 Jerry Zimmerman, or any of dozens of other bats I'm looking for, I'd offer you $300 as-is and be thrilled if you'd sell it to me. As a displayable gamer, it's not that bad looking (to me, anyway.)

Those are just some thoughts I wanted to throw out there. Anyway, my guess is Joe will do the right thing and accept return of the bat. Please post an update, as I plan to do business with him again, after my current deal.

Thanks.

momen55
05-18-2010, 08:30 PM
mark17;
the bat is not for use. i collect knobless model bats and i prefer them to be uncracked but could have use. most of my bats have little use, while some don't have any. a couple have minor grain separation which is fine.

but to tell me that the bat is perfect with no use and then looks like that, man, that's messed up. anyway, i am working on dealing with him so i will post an update when something happens.

momen55
05-22-2010, 02:53 PM
update:
bat was returned and complete refund was issued plus additional shipping fees. he apologized for the mistake so it's all good. :)

Mark17
05-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Just to wrap this up, my recent purchase/trade with Joe was concluded successfully as well, and I'm hopefully going to be working another with him soon.

Couple things I'd like to mention. First, when you call someone out in this forum, many people see it (although not necessarily the accused), so it's very important to try hard to work out the problems before it gets to this.

Second, if you read a post that is questioning someone you know is a reputable person, it's important to chime in. I remember a few months ago, someone questioned Zane Burns, and fortunately, at least a dozen of us right away vouched for his integrity. As a community we need to do that.